• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

21st Century upgrade project - 7" DVD/Navi

Sporto

Recently I purchased a cheapo direct from China 7" DVD/CD/GPS navigation system on Ebay for less than 300. It came with a backup camera as well. I installed this in my Toyota Grocery Getter, and I was very happy with the unit's performance. Even the backup camera.

So through some planning, I picked up another one and I am in the process of installing it into my Bronco.

Here it is...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220890369449&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It comes with a removable face cover that makes it look like an OEM cd player, so that is a bonus.

I will updating this thread as I progress, but right now I thought that I would put this out there so others may want to read it...or not. ;D

More to follow!

Rich

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Bout time you got started on this Rich!

I've read that the 'typical' place to mount this in the dash causes clearence issues with the defrost ducts. Where are you mounting yours?

Maybe you should get two cameras and put one in the front like the new raptor!

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Here are some pix of the head unit and the accessories. The backup camera mounts to the license plate and has infrared led's. I fabbed up the wire harness myself using a 9 pin coupler from Radio Shack. I added the inline fuses for the ACC and BATT connections. The GPS is Sygic for Windows Mobile, and it comes preloaded with all of the necessary maps in the U.S. I am researching different themes for it. There are a lot of options to customize this if you want to. I set the splash screen to show the Ford logo when you turn it on. For the money it is a pretty slick setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 208
OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Bout time you got started on this Rich!

I've read that the 'typical' place to mount this in the dash causes clearence issues with the defrost ducts. Where are you mounting yours?

Maybe you should get two cameras and put one in the front like the new raptor!

Tom,
I will be using this under dash setup to mount it to the dash.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13137

I got it for cheaper than this on Amazon, but it is the same. I mounted the CB in my Tuffy console.

tworedballs

Loc.
Satellite Beach
I'm interested to see how this works out. One quick question, though:

Are you going to be able to see the monitor when it's below the dash AND access all the touch screen features safely with it mounted that low? Double DIN is pretty big.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

I'm interested to see how this works out. One quick question, though:

Are you going to be able to see the monitor when it's below the dash AND access all the touch screen features safely with it mounted that low? Double DIN is pretty big.

From initial placement tests, yes. I can reach the buttons and functions pretty easily. Not as if it was a few inches higher in the normal radio spot, but not too bad. I had a single DIN radio in my Tuffy console, and I was always taking my eyes off the road to fumble with the volume or station. I am pretty certain that this will be less distracting than that. As far as being able to see it, I have twin sticks and a floor shifter for a 3spd, and from what I can tell, they don't seem to be blocking it from where I am sitting. However a road test once its done will be the final determination on everything.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Tom,
I will be using this under dash setup to mount it to the dash.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=13137

I got it for cheaper than this on Amazon, but it is the same. I mounted the CB in my Tuffy console.

Oh yeah - we talked about this (temp memory loss).

That should work out nice for you.

Do you know how the iPod integration works? Can you control the iPod from the headunit and the iPod at the same time? My current radio only lets me do one or the other and sometimes the radio's menu isn't very intutive but looking at the iPod while driving isnt the best idea either. ?:?

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Do you know how the iPod integration works? Can you control the iPod from the headunit and the iPod at the same time? My current radio only lets me do one or the other and sometimes the radio's menu isn't very intutive but looking at the iPod while driving isnt the best idea either. ?:?

Tom,
The one that I have in my Toyota works so-so, you can control the playback and volume, but the UI is quirky. It does work though, and when there is nothing on the radio it helps out a lot to have something else to listen to.

I have the Iphone 4 and it is not listed as a compatible Ipod device for this unit, but like I said it works. What I also am able to do is listen to Pandora and that makes for a decent music selection.

I will hope to make some more progress this weekend.

:cool:

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Installed unit into under dash mount. Apparently double DIN is not universal, as I had to trim the opening to allow the head unit to fit properly. I will post some pix of the progress tonight.

R

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
That is one hell of a price for all the features. I'm going to do a back-up camera as well so I' curious to see how this looks. I was going to go with the same one I put in my F150 paid $70 from autozone and was going to mount the monitor to the cage.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

That is one hell of a price for all the features. I'm going to do a back-up camera as well so I' curious to see how this looks. I was going to go with the same one I put in my F150 paid $70 from autozone and was going to mount the monitor to the cage.

If you can, stay away from the wireless backup cameras. They are terrible even on the best day. This one has a wired in camera that you tie to the backup lights. There is also a range finder grid that will appear on the screen when you're less then 3ft away from something.

I will be sure and include pix of the backup camera when it is installed.

R

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
Not hijacking, but I found again on Ebay a single din hide away 7" GPS and the works with backup for under $400 shipped here in the states. supposed to fit our radio slot(once cut) so in dash and hide away with removable faceplate too. Getting it as I want underdash AC. CB is that hidden one the Cobra sells that has everything in the mike unit and hidden box....Mo in CA;D

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
If you can, stay away from the wireless backup cameras. They are terrible even on the best day. This one has a wired in camera that you tie to the backup lights. There is also a range finder grid that will appear on the screen when you're less then 3ft away from something.

I will be sure and include pix of the backup camera when it is installed.

R

The one I have in the truck right now is a wireless and yes it has issues but is still ten times better than trying to look out the rear view mirror as the canopy makes for a lot of blind spots.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Got the unit mounted and test fitted tonight. Overall I think that it looks pretty good. It is easy to see and access, and the screen is big enough to allow control of the features pretty easily. I have a lot of wiring clean up to do obviously, but I can only get a few hours at night when it is not too cold to get to this project, but I expect it to be completed by next week.

I added a support made of allthread to bear some of the weight in the back of the unit. I am working the kinks out of that now, but it seems very solidly mounted. I also put a lot of foam packing inside the mount against the unit to stabilize it inside the mount. This seemed to work pretty well too

BTW - the GPS picked up 4 satellites and gave me a position fix with the antenna stuck to the dash and the Bronco in my garage with the door closed. So that is a pretty sensitive receiver! Note...I am taking a lot of extra time to do the wiring properly per Ransil's "suggestion"... :)

See pix...

Attachments

• IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 335

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
Is there any way to make this fit in the dash? I haven't looked behind mine so I'm not sure. I really like it but it would be really cool if it would fit.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Is there any way to make this fit in the dash? I haven't looked behind mine so I'm not sure. I really like it but it would be really cool if it would fit.

There is a enough room, I suppose. However in the center the heater box is right there behind the dash, so your unit would probably protrude out about 2" or so, or you could cut the dash to mount this over where the OEM speaker was, but it would a little out of reach and off center. I measured this several times before going in this direction.

R