• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which Temp Sendin Unit?

daren

I have a '70 with stock 302 which is the correct temp sending unit to get from napa? I though that the sending units have a 73-10ohm range. I have the first one and my temp gauge reads low (all the other gauges work fine). Should I be using the second one which is for a older bronco? The resistance readings that they have in the description is what is making me wonder if I have the right one. Would it be fine to use the second one?

1.http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=ECHTS6628_0273777337&An=599001+101970+50028+2028004&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

2.http://napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=ECHTS6153_0162096602&An=599001+101967+50028+2028004&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The sceond one has a more correct ohm value at 220.

Other things can cause the gauge to read low though. Not enough current in the red-wht wire caused by excessive resistance between the gauge and sender ground. Follow the wire and check for damage or corrosion. The early bulkhead connectors are notorious for this type of thing. Make sure the sender is grounded well. You can also move the temp wire to a different gauge and see if it reads in the same position.

OP
OP
D

daren

Okay I'll run and grab the second one. Thanks I just needed someone else's opinion to make sure I was thinking about this right

cs_88

Bronco Guru
I'm running the first one TS6628 and my guage seems to be right on the money.

OP
OP
D

daren

I'll let you guys know how the gauge reads tomorrow. I remember seeing a chart somewhere showing approximately what the resistance should be at different temps. It seemed like the TS6628 resistance doesn't match the chart I saw.

-Recko I saw the thread you started about your gauge issue and mine is exactly the same issue. I have a new harness that I installed and sent the gauge cluster rebuilt. So now the fuel and oil gauges are good but the temp just reads lower than it should.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Oleguy74 posted this chart previously.

Attachments

• gauge cal.jpg
    gauge cal.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 156
OP
OP
D

daren

Viperwolf that is the charting that i remember seeing. I installed the second sending unit Ts6153 and it works great. It reads what it should be instead of being just a little above 120. So Recko555 and nosaj2k I would try using that. I put a picture in my gallery to show how the gauge reads.

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
Viperwolf that is the charting that i remember seeing. I installed the second sending unit Ts6153 and it works great. It reads what it should be instead of being just a little above 120. So Recko555 and nosaj2k I would try using that. I put a picture in my gallery to show how the gauge reads.

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot and post results as well.

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
Yep, the second sending unit (TS6153) was my huckleberry. The temperature gauge works like a charm. Man, am I glad Daren posted this thread :cool:. THANKS

Recko555

I am picking mine up tomorrow. I will let you know if this fixes my problem.
Thanks for the heads up Daren!

OP
OP
D

daren

Yea no problem. That was one of the little things that irritated me while driving.

Recko555

I tried the TS6153 sender and I am pretty sure it is the fix. At idle or driving around town (when it should be the hottest) it now reads 170 degrees. But cruising on the highway it reads right at 185 degrees (when it should be the coolest). Anyways, my gauge has never read 185 degrees while running and now it does. So the case is closed. Thanks again Daren.