• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lyle's '76 Sport "Build"

jlylec

To my wife's dismay I made an impulse purchase last week. It just so happened to be the night of some of the worst storms Virginia has seen in many years. My timing couldn't have been better! Now we had no power, screaming kids, 103 degree days, and I had to figure out how to get this home.
768d2632.jpg

I live outside of Charlottesville, VA in Crozet. This beauty was in Pearisburg, VA about 2.5hrs away. Without a top, title, or decent steering box I couldn't drive it home, so I had to borrow my buddies truck and rent a trailer from U-Haul.
07b2bbb6.jpg

After a stressful day I finally got her home.
d0a16736.jpg

934e4215.jpg

I hesitated in even calling this a build thread. The truck is in great shape for the most part so I cheated a little (a LOT). My last Bronco was a '69 and not nearly as pretty. I decided this time around I would start with a Bronco that WASN'T bought for $1500 at an auction with no brakes or steering!

Fortunately I have brakes now, but the steering leaves a LOT to be desired. The previous owner told me it needs an alignment or a steering box and it will be perfect. I'm worried it needs an alignment AND a steering box and something even more, but we'll see. That's just how these things tend to go for me.

The guy I bought this from told me about this site and I decided to register and start this thread because I think forums like these are one of the best things about the internet. I'm hoping to get tons of advice from people a lot smarter than me as I set out to make this the most perfect Bronco I can.

Here's my plan (in some order, but who knows how it'll work out):

1. get the title...truck came from GA with a bill-of-sale but registration or title so now DMV in Richmond needs to sign off on all paperwork before I can even get plates...could take weeks. Great start!

2. I bought a 6-point roll cage, in pieces, with the truck. No spec sheet on the cage or plans of any kind. Need to figure out how it's supposed to go together (not clear at all), and then have it welded and painted...probably white.

3. Get some sort of soft top so I don't have to worry about getting around only on nice days.

4. Get a hard top fixed up near-perfect and painted...probably white. I'm in the market for this and am willing to spend on the right top.

5. Get the steering issues addressed and fixed. I plan on going with the best steering box option I can find to make the steering rock solid and smooth.

6. Boost power. The engine has less than 500 miles on a rebuild of the original 302. It starts and run well and quiet. I'd like to supe this up significantly without any short or long term detriment to the engine. Any suggestions on ways to do this are welcome!

7. Install some sort of stereo.

8. Fix the little naggy things like sticky/hard to use knobs, hard to open doors, rattles in vent windows, misaligned windshield wipers, paint overspray, etc.

9. Install rock rails.

10. Install one of those AC kits...honestly I'll probably have to redo the whole HVAC system...it seems to work, but barely.

11. And then of course whatever else comes up along the way.

I'd like to get this truck to a condition of being worthy of a daily driver. I want it nice and solid. I'd love to take it off road, but not destroy it like I did my '69! I'm a bit older and smarter now. Just a bit.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and hope to learn a lot!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That is one fine looking ride man... Congrats....!!!

be sure and vote daily for this site as Top 4x4 site, at the bottom of any page.. it's a Pride thing..

I look forward to seeing more Pics of your rig.. I have a 76 sport myself...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You want to be able to go over stuff like this....??? ;D

Attachments

• DSC_0300.jpg
    DSC_0300.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 237

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
You want to be able to go over stuff like this....??? ;D

Yea that does look Kooler than driving up on an Indian mound;)

Hey welcome to the site....and the '76 Sport club...he he he :D

Attachments

• 0527121206_01.jpg
    0527121206_01.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
J

jlylec

That is one fine looking ride man... Congrats....!!!

be sure and vote daily for this site as Top 4x4 site, at the bottom of any page.. it's a Pride thing..

I look forward to seeing more Pics of your rig.. I have a 76 sport myself...

thanks...I voted!

I'm going to take a bunch of pics and post more as I get going on things.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Hey welcome to the site....and the '76 Sport club...he he he :D

thanks man...the site looks great and very helpful. I've already been searching all around and quickly found that there are no easy fixes to my steering issue! the guy said it steered fine before the lift and bigger tires. go figure. i'm thinking my best bet will be a 150 conversion. i wish i knew somebody around here with experience doing that sort of thing. I called the local Ford service guys and they told me to research a solution on some internet forums (duh!?) and they can do whatever i come up with for a fix. not very convincing!

plus finding a good top isn't going to be an easy feat...realizing that now too.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
You mention you have a new motor with 500 miles on it and you want to boost it up, are your axles geared right? That could be a starting point if you have stock gears. Looks like you may have 33s, go with 4.10s and you should notice a good difference off the pedal! Great impulse buy!

OP
OP
J

jlylec

You mention you have a new motor with 500 miles on it and you want to boost it up, are your axles geared right? That could be a starting point if you have stock gears. Looks like you may have 33s, go with 4.10s and you should notice a good difference off the pedal! Great impulse buy!

that's exactly what the guy at the Ford place said! The motor isn't new...it's original...but it was rebuilt less than 500 miles ago. Runs really well.

I'm not sure what the gears are. Pretty sure it's a dana 44 up front and 9" rear, but I don't know the gearing. Would that hurt my highway cruising? I really want to be able to drive this thing comfortably over 50MPH without the motor screaming at me!

I may not even really mess with it right now since the motor runs well. It's not SLOW and I've got bigger fish to fry right now!

JEFF76P

Loc.
Palmyra, Virginia
Wecome to the site, that's a nice looking Bronco. There are a few people on here from around the C-ville area, I work in C-ville so I'll be on the lookout for you in town.

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
Congrats on the truck! Two previous owners (pre-restoration) are on here. I owned it for a few years (the Georgia guy) and bought it from Mac2nite on here.

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Congrats and welcome, that's one heck of a super sharp rig! Glad to hear it's home safe.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Wecome to the site, that's a nice looking Bronco. There are a few people on here from around the C-ville area, I work in C-ville so I'll be on the lookout for you in town.

Awesome...I'm hoping to be running people off the road in about 3-4 weeks. What does your truck look like?

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Congrats on the truck! Two previous owners (pre-restoration) are on here. I owned it for a few years (the Georgia guy) and bought it from Mac2nite on here.

Great to know! Always interested in any stories or tidbits to look out for and pay attention to. I'm not planning on flipping this truck. If all goes well she's home for good.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
yeah that would be cool...can you help me with that?

That's what we're here for... ;)

Stick to your plan for now, get all the basics taken care of, then we'll get you going to where you wanna be...

crozetcrew

Loc.
Bakersfield
Awesome looking bronco. I also live in Crozet over in Laurel Hills past Crozet School. Love to see it some time. I currently don't own one but plenty in my family if you look in my gallery. Awesome ride once again!!:)

Chris

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Awesome looking bronco. I also live in Crozet over in Laurel Hills past Crozet School. Love to see it some time. I currently don't own one but plenty in my family if you look in my gallery. Awesome ride once again!!:)

Chris

Hey Chris...nice to meet you. I'm in Old Trail now but my wife used to teach at Crozet School. I'll definitely be around once I get the title and can get plates. Would love to show you sometime!

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Chris

Hey Chris...do you know of any good/great EB mechanics in the area that could help me fix my truck up? I called Battlefield Ford today and didn't get the best impression. Not awful, but I think I'd rather take it to a smaller guy/shop who really has the experience and interest as opposed to a commercial Ford shop. I'd love to get her to the point where she drives like a new truck but still looks like a GREAT truck.