• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Poly balls that fit inside frint coils?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Anyone remember the bottoming poly balls that were sold 30-40yrs. ago? I believe they were called Charlie Hega suspension balls. Many Baja racers used them and they were well thought of. They helped avoid front axle damage when high speed Broncos got airborne.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Tho the nitrogen cylinders can perform the same function,they would require a mounting system that would be complex and obviously not stock. I would prefer the suspension balls. You simply place them in the coil spring. As they say KISS. If even one could be found Energy or some other poly-urethane part maker could easily reproduce them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They may still make them in fact.
I can't say I've looked recently, so they may have dropped them altogether for lack of sales, but some of the big companies definitely did make them back when.
Or, if it wasn't the exact same thing, they were meant for the same purpose.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, Energy "coil spring damper inserts" part number 9.9005G or R
2 per package.

Paul

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I ran those back when and they were insane. I had a 77 Quadravan sporting 36" Micky Thompson Baja kings and 300hp...that thing wasa lot of fun when it ran...was always breakng stuff

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Anyone remember the bottoming poly balls that were sold 30-40yrs. ago? I believe they were called Charlie Hega suspension balls. Many Baja racers used them and they were well thought of. They helped avoid front axle damage when high speed Broncos got airborne.

Haga Balls! Named after Charlie Haga, who invented them. I've been thinking of getting some and sticking them in my coils just to be a little more "old school". They work fine but aren't as sexy as hydraulic bumps these days.

Todd Z.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
we also used Air Lift red inflateable bags in the front coils. But since shocks have come along way since then they dont seem to be used anymore.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 1.jpg
    Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 1.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 2.jpg
    Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 2.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 3.jpg
    Gravel Grabbers Suspension letter 3.jpg