• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Manifolds on GT40P heads

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
So until I have the funds to drop on a set of headers I am installing my factory manifolds on my gt40p heads. I have already started to clearance them for the spark plugs but I am a little nervous on how far to go. Here are a few pictures with where I'm at right now.

With Ford Racing wires and a heat sock, it's touching the manifold. I am afraid if I grind any more I'll be too thin on the wall thickness. Does anyone have any pictures of theirs completed?

How much space should be between the manifold and sock? Or should I ditch the sock and bank on air gap?

I also had to grind a little on the passenger side. the casting flanges on those manifolds were horrendous. I couldn't even get a socket on the plug.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 131
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 122
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Thanks for the advice. Cylinder 5 and 6 socks will be touching the manifold. I may be able to go a little more on the grinding but I am very nervous.

If anyone has horror stories about burning wires with stock manifolds let me know. I really only plan on running these for a few months till the motor is good and broke in.

Last edited:

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Been running manifolds ground down with my P heads for 5 years, before I put the socks on I did have some brittleness and cracking of the plug heads but with socks so far so good. I much prefer the manifolds. I have details in my build thread in my signature.

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
Thanks Tito. I am going to give it a whirl. If I burn some wires I'll grind more off. I actually like cast manifolds too. Especially for the price....

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah, can't go wrong for the money - I would carry some extra plug wires on hand just in case...

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I do just that Kyle! Good tip. No fun when your wires start arcing to everything in the engine compartment lol - FWIW that hasnt happened with the P's, just when my battery wasnt tied down and I flipped the battery over on a motorcycle track and everything split out lol.

True North

I'm running headers, but I had much better luck without socks. It made it alot easyer to find trouble spots also.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Do you think it would be better to use a set if bare headder flanges and space the manifolds out?

patkelley

Loc.
Marietta
I was able to gring the stock manifold enough to use 'normal' wires and no socks. There is a lot of extra metal in the castings. I can take a pic later tonight....

OP
OP
WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I was able to gring the stock manifold enough to use 'normal' wires and no socks. There is a lot of extra metal in the castings. I can take a pic later tonight....

A picture would be great. I'm sure there's more metal there than I think but I only get one chance. I found out I need to grind a little for my oil dipstick too....... Thanks!