• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardtop Hoist (w/pics)

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
A couple folks have asked me about my hardtop hoist setup. I just put my hardtop back on for the fall and had a chance to snap some pics of my hoist.

I have 20ft ceilings in my garage and therefore plenty of room up top to suspend my hardtop from the ceiling. I have a 440lb electric hoist up in my rafters that's used to hoist the top all the way up, then I use a slotted angle steel rig to support the top long term throughout the summer. Here's some pics...

Here's the top in full storage including steel rigging:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336439430940894.jpg

Here's a close up of how it's supported long term.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336439461948007.jpg

Here's a shot of the electric winch mounted in my ceiling rafters. This is from within the attic. The hoist is affixed to a 6' steel pipe mounted atop a pair a 2x6's which span 3 joists per side.

IMG_0995.jpg

Here's a pic of the top lowering down using the electric hoist. I did this with one man operation. One hand controlling the hoist remote and the other navigating the top into place.

IMG_0999.jpg

Summer's over - top back on:

IMG_1006.jpg

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
do you have an eye bolt drilled into your top?

No, there's one of those Jeep 3 jaw frames that I use. It was originally a Jeep hardtop lift jig that I got off craigslist, which I then extended and reinforced to fit and lift the much heavier Bronco top. You can see the J-hooks in a couple of the pics. It grabs the top in the upper corners of the door frame and in the middle of the back (wedged inbetween the liftgate and top). The eyehook mounts to the lift jig.. Not a bad idea though, would make lifting the EB top a lot easier if it simply had a bung to screw into....

LTL4life

Loc.
The FROZEN TURDRA
No, there's one of those Jeep 3 jaw frames that I use. It was originally a Jeep hardtop lift jig that I got off craigslist, which I then extended and reinforced to fit and lift the much heavier Bronco top. You can see the J-hooks in a couple of the pics. It grabs the top in the upper corners of the door frame and in the middle of the back (wedged inbetween the liftgate and top). The eyehook mounts to the lift jig.. Not a bad idea though, would make lifting the EB top a lot easier if it simply had a bung to screw into....

Great looking work! I was about to purchase the Jeep top lift, but after reading a bunch of posts i went cheap with some steel channel and rope ratchets (4) rated at 150 lbs. each. I plan on keeping the hardtop on permanantly so my lift should be a 1 time deal

BDAZSVT

Could you takesomepics of the modified jeep hoist part? The part that actually connects to the top. Does it only hook in 3 spots?
Thanks
Jay

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL , electric hard top hoist but no electric garage door opener ? or is it one of those that bolts up right at the wall? I didn't see it in the pics.

For those of you liking this set up , if you have a standard 1 car bay w/ GDO with the chain/bar going right up the middle , this will not work ... unless you have a 16' door (2 car) and can fit it on one side or the other.

All said , seeing this gives a VERY good reason to buy one of the wall mounted GDO's ... and have your house/garage built with TALL garage ceilings!

Good work !

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe it's just me, but I think that last photo is totally calendar worthy! The lift is awesome too. ;):cool:

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
LOL , electric hard top hoist but no electric garage door opener ?
That's the only downside. In order for the top to go up or down, I have to pull my permanently mounted garage door opener. It's a PITA as I have to re-string the chain everytime. Fortunately the top only goes up/down twice a year.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that last photo is totally calendar worthy! The lift is awesome too. ;):cool:
Thanks! I'd love to make a calendar submission but unfortunately my EB hasn't seen much action this year so I don't have any quality pics, just poser shots like this. Here's another view of this "tough asphalt hill" :)

IMG_1007.jpg

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thanks! I'd love to make a calendar submission but unfortunately my EB hasn't seen much action this year so I don't have any quality pics, just poser shots like this. Here's another view of this "tough asphalt hill" :)

IMG_1007.jpg

XX2 That pic need to be added to the Calender list;)

NCSUWoj

Contributor
Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Looking good xcntrk!!
I like the hardtop jig. My dad and I were just figuring today what we needed to do to get my hardtop up in the ceiling of my garage. Our storage space has been eliminated so I had to relocate my top for my 74!

RT

Bronco Guru
xcntrk;2170797 Summer's over - top back on: [/QUOTE said:
I think you had a case of premature rehardtopinstalation :D

I fought the season till Nov last year,, didn't hurt that the seat heater worked overtime and I had a mesh thingy behind the seats to cut down on the cold wind.

But the rain held off for the most part till then , and I was a semi-happy camper.
We just get ripped when it comes to the good weather here, I can't bear to put the hardtop on so soon . Or at least as long as the rain holds off .

Thats a great looking rig , I'd submit the pic for the calendar blacktop or not .

Wheres that plate from ?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
That's the only downside. In order for the top to go up or down, I have to pull my permanently mounted garage door opener. It's a PITA as I have to re-string the chain everytime. Fortunately the top only goes up/down twice a year.

Thanks! I'd love to make a calendar submission but unfortunately my EB hasn't seen much action this year so I don't have any quality pics, just poser shots like this. Here's another view of this "tough asphalt hill"

IMG_1007.jpg
[/QUO

We live in a asphalt jungle!! And you did have to traverse the mud bog to get there.

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

LOL , awesome , it just occured to me that folks with lower garage ceilings could keep the rear hatch raised and run the bar/chain right through the hard top still!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bummer you have to put your top back on so early... we have at least 2 months of bikini runnin still to go here ... Nice Bronc dude!

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Looking good xcntrk!!
I like the hardtop jig. My dad and I were just figuring today what we needed to do to get my hardtop up in the ceiling of my garage. Our storage space has been eliminated so I had to relocate my top for my 74!
Thanks Michael. You'll have to swing by and check the EB out next time you're up this way.

LOL , awesome , it just occured to me that folks with lower garage ceilings could keep the rear hatch raised and run the bar/chain right through the hard top still!
Good suggestion. I'd bet you could store it with less than 24" of space, as long as the side windows don't hang down and interfere with the garage door.

I think you had a case of premature rehardtopinstalation :D
I keep getting rained on. The other day I took my daughter for ice-cream only 5mi up the road. Sure enough the sky's darken up and we scramble to get headed home. Half way there it dumps, we were soaked. While I didn't mind, my 6yo wasn't too thrilled! I need a bikini top but due to my unusual cage design I have to get one custom made.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Very nicely done man... Does the trick don't it....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Bummer you have to put your top back on so early... we have at least 2 months of bikini runnin still to go here ... Nice Bronc dude!

No doubt, same here.. one can hope anyway, lol