• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco lawn sprinkler .... :(

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let's see if this photobucket link works ... video(click the pic)

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only had a few moments to eyeball it this eve. , it is not the freeze plug that can be easily seen.

It appears to come from right near/behind the engine mount.

Temp. gauge never read hot , very little steam while I was driving it , but I could smell it.Figured it to be a small pin hole leak. I had checked the fluids a day or two before. I had drove it quite a bit earlier in the day and had no issues. Drove it nice-n-easy home about 1.5 miles. 1/2 block away , it started smelling REAL hot , gauge still in normal area. Stopped it , unloaded daughter , popped hood , saw some water on the timing cover boiling (from tiny leak at intake fitting , had been there a awhile and had never been an issue , coolant loss was minimal) and knew she was HOTT!
Started up , slow cranking , but she fired and idled , added water to the rad. and the fun began , boiling , spewing , refill ,repeat , until motor cooled down.
I'm glad the motor was old and loose , otherwise it may have locked up on me.
I'm really curious as to what the cause is , either way , it is officially time to start the tear down and do the resto-mod phase 1 (everything south of the body mounts).

Machinist has my 347 at the shop , NV3550 is on the bench and has been cleaned and inspected by the local pro .... ready to go ! :cool:

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's the trail it left when I backed it back into its spot.

IMG_4311.jpg

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
My guess is your gauge is junk or the thermostat . Either way I would start the tear down ...I would bet the water pump doesnt....good luck you made it to the bat cave..lol

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Looks like the pipe plug in the side of the block has come out. Its located just in front of the motor mount and down by the pan. I remove them when I want to drain an engine block.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like the pipe plug in the side of the block has come out. Its located just in front of the motor mount and down by the pan. I remove them when I want to drain an engine block.

I have a feeling it will be something like that , judging by the shape and force of the water jet coming out. I've removed them also , just not from a Windsor ... wasn't sure where all they were.

I haven't gotten out to the garage yet to tinker tonight , and as I said , the machinist has the other block , so I couldn't do a "known hole location" check.

Thanks for the info.

HD

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My guess is your gauge is junk or the thermostat .

One of them is out of spec. for sure. It is supposed to be a 180 , but according to the cheapa$$ Summit temp gauge , it RARELY went over 150.

They'll both be replaced with the new motor.

I'm not surprised the gauge didn't read crazy hot with no coolant in it. Nature of the beast kinda.