• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 EFI, Dakota Digital VSS issues

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
hey guys, getting ready to install DD, like mentioned its 5.0 EFI. I use fords vss in the D20. DD kit comes with its own vss. do i use these together or one? any other issues i might be facing? anything i should do to the gauge before mounting it in the dash...like sealing the back or sides etc?

my main concern is the vss...since im using a nv3550, im sure i need the vss for idle control. gimme your thoughts guys, thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i just talked with DD, the tech guys says i can use fords vss, IF my eec has a speed output signal coming from it. he said if i dont and try to tap their wires into the vss im using now it might conflict with DD's system. ford has a 2 wire vss, DD has a 3 wire vss...

so the question is...did RJM perhaps provide a speed output so folks could run digital speedo or even cruise control? seems a shame if he didnt...

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
ive had the dakota digital installed for almost a week. im loving it.

but i really need some help here guys, i could not run the ford vss and the DD vss(too long and hit shift rail housing) so i ran the DDvss only. everything seems fine, but so far this week, ive had my bronco almost stall about 6 times. it seems to only happen when ive been driving about a mile at a constant speed...then pull up to light and push in clutch, then brake...it almost dies! its starting to get annoying. ford vss is 2 wire, DD is 3 wire. i think i need the a vss for the ford EEC...it just seemed happier

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I'm following this thread as I too will encounter this problem sometime in the near future (same eventual setup; manual tranny, EFI, electronic speedo).

Sounds like this is the root of your problem:
The older Ford VSS is a variable reluctance sensor. (Magnet passing by a coil) It's a 2 wire analog signal that the PCM (A9L) processes. The newer stuff uses a digital pulse from the VSS source. A hall effect sensor generates a compatible signal. It is a powered device that has 3 wires (+12v - gnd - and vehicle speed signal). It's not compatible with the A9L. The variable reluctance sensor is not compatible with the electronic speedos etc...

From this thread (see post-8 and beyond):
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136145

"Dave" on here seems to have a solution although I don't know if it fits your application. See this tread below, posts 41 & 67:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124065&page=3

Maybe drop him a line and see if he can provide any input to this thread?

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
back to the top...i really wish dakota digital could make a vss that works with ford eecs...hell they can make it 16,000ppm...why not 8k???

i tapped into the ford vss and ran 2 wires to DD...it seems to read it, but not without starving the eec of some voltage.

i started getting a flash from the check engine light... continuous memory #29 and 33

DD says they will sell me a signal splitter for $85 and i checked with dave and called magsensors.com...they have just what i need, but its $125!!

bronc50

This is from the sgi-5 installation instructions

APPLICATION #5
Convert a 16000ppm signal from a Hall Effect VDO signal generator to 8000ppm, 4000ppm, or 2000ppm to run a cruise control or fuel injection computer.
The Hall Effect sensor will have three wires. The white wire is the signal. The signal wire will be tapped into so the SGI-5 can read it. The sensor signal wire will go to the SIG IN terminal. Connect the PWR terminal to a 12-volt accessory wire and connect the GND terminal to a good ground location. The output connections will depend on your particular application. Here are some typical examples:
OUT1, 8000ppm AC: OUT3, 4000ppm AC: OUT4, 4000ppm oc: OUT5, 2000ppm oc:
most aftermarket cruise controls
most TPI computers and some OEM cruise controls use this if OUT3 does not provide a good signal most TBI computers and some OEM cruise controls
Begin with the switches as follows and then determine how far off the calibration is.
ON
ON
OFF
OFF

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
yep, thats the same thing they tried telling me i need to run. i believe i have a fix for this now.last week i tapped 2 wires into my ford vss at the firewall (to keep the wires short as possible) 2 went to eec and 2 went to DD. it worked, i re-calibrated the speedo...but the eec is not happy now. whats happening is since my vss is going to both items the total voltage output dropped. now there is a low voltage from the vss to the eec.

so heres the plan, get another ford vss from auto store($16) and piggy back them. there is enough room to run 2 ford vss(one for eec,one for DD). i know i can do this already since i drill my vss out a while back to accept the ford bronco speedo cable. i plan to do this later today after work...i will let yall know how it goes.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I don't think that SIG-5 unit will work. That seems to only be compatible with digital pulse signals, either amplifying or reducing. The root of the issue here is not the signal PPM but rather analog vs digital signal altogether...

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
the main problem is DD gives us a vss and an adapter to use (which is fine for non efi needing vss) but if u have efi using a vss...all these items together are too long and will not fit in the space provided on the d20. all that is needed is another vss that is smaller for the DD...but im not paying $125 for a vss from magsensors. i called DD yesterday to confirm...their system does not care if its receiving a AC or DC signal, not hall effects or digital...it just needs a speed signal of some sort. the stock vss is fine...but it can not support both EEC and DD the voltage drop is too much. just get another ford vss and use it for the dd and be done...

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^And you can install two ford VSS inline and clear the shift-rail caps?

OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
OK!! Drum roll...

I had to trim as much as I could off the second vss...then pry, push, and cuss... but its in!!! Now I'll wire second vss for DD. here's a pic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351893319675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351893319675.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 210
OP
OP
blazinchuck

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
We have success!!! 1st vss for eec is happy...cleared the memory code for low voltage to vss.

Wired 2nd vss to Dakota Digital and re-calibrated the Speedo again. Its working great! We have a winner folks...and
It cost less than $10. $2 to get in pull yard and $5 for vss w/plug harness.

As for trimming vss, I took everything down to the wiring plug. About 3/4" removed. Hope this can help others with Dakota Digital and EFI w/vss. Thanks, Chuck

bronc50

I don't think that SIG-5 unit will work. That seems to only be compatible with digital pulse signals, either amplifying or reducing. The root of the issue here is not the signal PPM but rather analog vs digital signal altogether...
The sgi5 will do ac and oc output. But unsure of if it will work earthier. Nice work on the piggy back ford sensors how did you join them

bronc50

OK!! Drum roll...

I had to trim as much as I could off the second vss...then pry, push, and cuss... but its in!!! Now I'll wire second vss for DD. here's a pic

Liked your idea. So i modded the Dakota digital to piggy back the ford
jype3ydu.jpg
be8yrera.jpg

bronc50

Yes it did. could even get it to thread onto the for sensor.had to massage the hex off the dd sensor and it was good to go. Besides extending the inner shaft to turn the dd,but that was easy with a moddified shaft from another ford sensor. Tight as it is it turned out great and is a complete sealed assembly!

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
So are those mustang vss? I'm going thru the same thing now with an auto meter speedo. The vss with it is way too long. I'm gonna have to do what you did I just need to make sure my speedo will work with strange vss