• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Speaker Location Setup

TAC

Loc.
Pocatello, ID
Been playing with speaker setup & location so thought I would post it for another option. I have a soft top with no carpet kit, just floor matts. I didn't want to add rear quarter panel inserts or drill speaker holes in the doors or door panels.

- Have a metal center console with an Alpine stereo. Built a false bottom in the main compartment out of carpeted wood which houses under it the small flat Alpine 100W power pack and 300W BRT amp.

- Put two Rockford Fosgate 3.5" coax speakers side by side on a bracket in the stock front dash speaker hole to add some sound up front.

- Put two RF 6.5" coax speakers in the common speaker box wedges audio shops sale, with added wood carpeted wedges on top. The wedges secure under the bed rails and at the bottom of the box with an L bracket, stud and wing-nut. About 6' of extra speaker wire so they can be easily pulled and put where you want them for party boxes.

- A sub woofer is needed for this setup. There is too much exposed metal for reasonable sound without a sub. The RF P3 Shallow 10" sub fits under the rear stock seat and is secured to the floor with the supplied brackets. A crossover was used to push the bass to the subs.

- Also added a separate headphone jack mounted on the center console with a switch. You can switch off the amps and listen to headphones at highway speed if you want to tune out some wind noise.

Sound is pretty good for the acoustics of the bronco. Concerns are these are not all weather speakers so gotta watch out for that when the top is off. Also, the rear speakers could be stolen easily with the wing-nuts, but this is Idaho and we can shoot people for that. A bonus, crank up the bass and get the rear seat honking for additional riding please for those in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

DuvallDawg

Loc.
Duvall, WA
Thanks for sharing Tac,

This is pretty darn close to the setup I have just purchased. I picked up a RF 300x4 amp, RF Punch 6 1/2 for the doors( already previously cut). I was still up in the air about where to put a sub and how big. Was thinking all along of a single shallow 10 under the rear seat. Did you build your own sub box or is that the RF built box. Looks like it's not ported? I think with being a smaller box size keeping it non ported will sound better? I was just going to fab up my own box, what are the dimensions on the sub box? You like the sound? Not looking for boomy type rap base, just good tight lows.

Thanks!

OP
OP
TAC

TAC

Loc.
Pocatello, ID
The sub box is the factory RF box dimensions 19" long, 13.5" wide, wedged 3.25" on one end & 5.25" on the other end. It is not ported and the 6.5" coax boxes aren't ported either. I did not try with/without ports so not sure of the preference. I don't think the smaller speakers move enough air to need to be ported, but not sure. I also think if you port something the port size is suppose to be tuned for the speakers.

It sounds pretty good, and honks if you want it to - YEAH. The biggest obstacle to good sound is the bronco acoustics, especially without a lot of sound dampening stuff in there. I initially tried it without a sub and it was just too "tinny". I think a sub is a must in a bronco.