• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broncos on 42"+ tires- pic request

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I am looking for another Bronco to turn into a crawler. I am looking at using some of what is on my '94 Dodge Ram crawler (built D60s, coil overs, hydro steer, etc) and part of that package is the 44" TSLs on beadlocks. I have searched here and it is tough to get good pics of rigs with 44s- mostly Dana 44s come up and there are a few of those on here %).

My plan is to keep the rig low enough to fit in my standard 2 car garage (wifes request), but run the 44s. That is too keep it under 84" to the top of the roof. My '75 just fits in with 37" tires, 4" suspension and 3" body, so I know it will be a challenge. Cutting the fenders, stretching the suspension are part of the loose 'plans'. Not sure about narrowing at this point. For the uncut crowd- I am specifically looking for a cut, beat and/or rusty EB to start with...

Any advice on some things to consider during this build would be appreciated too... I know stretching the front will require frame crossmember relocation and hydro... and rear stretch will require gas tank removal.

Thanks in advance for your help

Todd

Last edited:

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Fitting in the garage will be a challenge indeed. Mine has 3.5" suspension, 2" body, 60/14bolt and 39.5's and it fits with no top, fits with the soft top and full size spare on the bumper, but the center bow for the soft top hits if I remove the spare. I'd like to see what you come up with. I'm planning for 42's when I replace the tires.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a cool build...wasn't there an EB on LEBC running 37's/40's/42's that was lowered 2-3 inches from stock? If you don't mind losing the floor, lowering the body and cutting the fenders above the body line, it seems doable. Besides, uptravel is overrated, right?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Mtfit, a member on here is running 42's on his. I know he has pics of his on here somewhere.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Fitting in the garage will be a challenge indeed. Mine has 3.5" suspension, 2" body, 60/14bolt and 39.5's and it fits with no top, fits with the soft top and full size spare on the bumper, but the center bow for the soft top hits if I remove the spare. I'd like to see what you come up with. I'm planning for 42's when I replace the tires.

I have to lower the bow on my'75 with the soft top on. If I take the spare off, the rubber seal on the garage door lightly touches the cage...

Sounds like a cool build...wasn't there an EB on LEBC running 37's/40's/42's that was lowered 2-3 inches from stock? If you don't mind losing the floor, lowering the body and cutting the fenders above the body line, it seems doable. Besides, uptravel is overrated, right?

I want to cut no higher than the body line and extend as far back/forward as needed. My current crawler is 120" wheelbase and works great, but I don't think I can get a Bronco that long without it looking weird. Trying not to lose the floor though either. On my 16" coilovers I run about 5" uptravel and 10" downtravel. Works great in the rocks.

Mtfit, a member on here is running 42's on his. I know he has pics of his on here somewhere.

I will have to check it out...

Back a couple of years ago I ran into an EB up in Harlan on 42s or 44s (I think) that he had just done a 1 ton swap in. It was red all caged out- pretty sick (not Karl Bradley). Had been rolled a few times. I havent been able to find a pic on here, but I think I have seen it on the trail since, so he is still around. If I recall correctly, it was about as low as you could go and still have big tires...

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Trying to stay away from this...

461508d1250734783-46-larger-tires-early-bronco-bronco-54s.jpg

And do something closer to this... But maybe not as radical to start...

574537d1296514330-rockwell-early-bronco-build-up-imgp1783.jpg

Pic of same rig above prior to being narrowed (pirated from Pirate ;D)

372173d1211941620-rockwell-early-bronco-build-up-dsc00015.jpg

TN1776

Bronco Guru
How about a tube chassis buggy with Bronco skins hung on it? There are a few of those around, might be easier than modifying a stock EB body enough to achieve your goals.

My EB has 4.5" suspension, 2" body and 37" tires. Flares are cut not quite up to the body line, front bump stops are an absolute necessity and it clears the garage door by an inch or so.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I will have to check it out...

Back a couple of years ago I ran into an EB up in Harlan on 42s or 44s (I think) that he had just done a 1 ton swap in. It was red all caged out- pretty sick (not Karl Bradley). Had been rolled a few times. I havent been able to find a pic on here, but I think I have seen it on the trail since, so he is still around. If I recall correctly, it was about as low as you could go and still have big tires...

That sounds like blazinchuck's Bronco - fat bottom girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx17xVBHrn0
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192410&highlight=harlan

Chuck has a real good build thread over on Carolina Broncos website (cb4x4.com), but I can't seem to find it right now.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of Bill's Bronco (mtfit) that I mentioned before.

Attachments

• IMGP0034.jpg
    IMGP0034.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 199

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
i loved mine(fat bottom girl) only 3.5" total lift and 42" iroks...dove-tailed front/rear. full cage and it fit my garage easily.

found a pic...
4x4pics3428.jpg

one more...love this one next to rigs with 36's and 35's...
NOVRUNURE10078.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Found the one I was referring too earlier... Yes I am bored at work...

side_1a.jpg

This is the exact location I saw this Bronco in Harlan.. My truck was sitting behind whoever took this pic... Pretty low for 42s on tons...

harlyn_KY_1.JPG

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Wasnt this sold within the last year or so? I remember it coming up for sale and drooling over it.

And Iif I am not mistaken- Chuck- didn't you sell the body/frame off yours??

You are correct... sadly
I'm actually secretly looking for it now...ugh. I regret it
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
You are correct... sadly
I'm actually secretly looking for it now...ugh. I regret it
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I watched the thread for a while... Telling my wife I was going to buy it and throw my parts at it... Of course I didn't want that big of a project at that time...

I hope you find it chuck!