• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 project bronco?

Techstudent

Loc.
Missoula
Hi guys/gals!

New to the forum and wanted to get your thoughts on a 1969 Bronco I happened by today. Spotted it in a back yard and stopped to inquire. It belongs to a pastor who has owned it since he graduated from high school in 1970.

It's a 302/manual on the column with a brown exterior and white interior.

According to the owner, it runs but no battery was in it so I didn't hear it do so. He said it smokes on start up and it does have rust mainly in the rear sill/tailgate and inner fender areas where hood hinges bolt (frame was solid). Unfortunately the rear quarters were cut to accommodate larger tires and the wheels are aftermarket. Interior appears to be in good shape but the driver's side door panel was missing. He showed me a booklet with records of regular oil changes

I know it's hard to gauge a price without photos but may take a ride up this weekend for a closer inspection and to get it started. I will take a few photos then. I can do the rust repair myself but know it's a lot of work and there is probably more rust than is visible - I don't think the truck is basket case status yet but a couple more years of sitting and it may well be.

Would it be worth dragging out of his back yard for $1,000 and would uncut rear quarters be obtainable? I thought of maybe offering $700 but hate to low-ball it since I was the one to stop and ask.

Thanks for any input and I'll post a few photos this weekend! ;)

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Welcome to CB!

A running Bronco is easily worth $1k most of the time. Unless it's literally falling apart and nothing is salvageable, it's likely a decent buy.

There are several vendors who sell new replacement quarter panels, and they come uncut. So yes, you can take it back to the uncut look.

If you buy it, be sure to share some pics with us! :cool:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome! Buy it!!!! If you don't have a trailer, rent a U-haul trailer.

Sporto

I'd buy it and get it home before someone on here tracks it down and offers him double. LOL!

A running and complete Bronco is well worth 1000 bucks. I have seen absolute derelicts go for more.

X2 on the quarterpanels, they're readily available online and elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum and please post pix when you get it home.

Rich

OP
OP
Techstudent

Techstudent

Loc.
Missoula
I appreciate the feedback all. Always kind of wonder if you should wait for a better specimen but these trucks seem to be unobtainium these days. Why the sudden (last decade or so) skyrocketing of prices on old 4x4's?

People who have them don't want to sell and the one's that are for sale have exorbitant prices that I could never touch.

I'll post some photos over the weekend and let you know how it turns out! :D

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
If you can drop th coin and have a place to keep it... I would say no brainer. Pics would be helpful though.

Search on here and you will find all the common rot spots... Door jambs, floor boards, rockers, leading edge of the hood, etc. then take the cash an have a real good look.

OP
OP
Techstudent

Techstudent

Loc.
Missoula
69 Project (pictures and sleeping on it!)

Well, stopped in for a closer inspection and actually had deposit money in my pocket but didn't make the purchase, arrrghhh! I love old iron and the dreamer in me see's the potential and possibilities but.......my practical mind took over.

I am currently an older (non-traditional student) in engineering school and while I can probably swing the purchase, it is unlikely I'll have the money or time for a complete restoration, at least for a few years and it will have to be stored outside until I could do the rebuild. I fear the truck will be a basket case by the time I can invest the money and time.

It has some rust issues but the tub is actually pretty solid on the whole and the frame was solid despite quite a bit of flaky surface corrosion. Main issues were rust where both fenders meet the firewall, a hole in the driver's side rocker panel. Driver's side floor board is rusted through but passenger side is solid. Tailgate and sill have rust issues.

Interior appears complete and original and in great shape! I know I've come to the wrong place for discouragement but I'm on the fence! Will I live to regret not buying this thing? %)

Mine329.jpg
[/URL], , , , , , , , , , , , , , [/IMG]

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
$1000-, and you walked away.......
You won't find anything better than that! Get back on the phone and tell him you'll take it.

nick1975bronco

thats like new compared to most out there you should see some broncos i ve bought thats a buy for sure. jump on it and smile the whole way home lol.

nsg4

Mine was, and actually is in similar shape, except for some of the corrosion, I too was a student when I bought it, I have had it since 2005 and I am not starting my build until this winter, its been a long time coming. I made it suitable to drive around a little at first, and thats it. Otherwise I have been stock piling parts for the day I can start, I finally can this winter, it just takes time. You don't have to be working on it right of way to make it worth it. My Bronco was a steal, and I will never regret buying it, though I haven't got to do a build yet. I have had fun just tooling around. I went through hell convincing my family, and my now wife it was the right thing to do, and I am so glad I got it, and now they too love it. If you really want this, and your heart is in it, you will find a place to store it, and you will buy it, or else you wont be able to think about anything else. You know if you want this or not.

P.S., for 1000 dollars, come on man, It's not even a choice.....buy it

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I agree you should get it. You don't need it to be restored to drive and enjoy it. It looks in much better shape than mine and I paid a lot more than $1000.00. Get it, clean it up, do any small repairs it needs and drive it. You can restore it later. Good luck but they are not going to get any cheaper in a few years that's for sure.

Henry

Schloer2

1969 project bronco? (pictures and sleeping on it!)

Jump back in the truck and go give that seller $1,000! No regrets

OP
OP
Techstudent

Techstudent

Loc.
Missoula
Appreciate the feedback guys! If the engine smokes on start up or, smokes in general, does that indicate it needs a valve job or complete rebuild?

My dad used to own a body shop and I worked with him considerably so rust doesn't much concern me (to a point) but he and his tools are on the east coast 2,000 miles away. I'm not much of a mechanic (but do o.k. when I get started with something), so if the engine smokes on start up, or, smokes in general, does that indicate it needs a valve job or a complete rebuild? A complete rebuild is a little more than I have the room or time to tackle right now. Where would I start to get the engine running well? Carburetor rebuild?

I guess, where do I start if I buy this thing? Brakes first I'm assuming and then engine work?

Also, why such high prices on these? Has demand increased due to rock crawler projects?

Thanks for the help!:)

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
How about I buy it from the seller for $1k, and I give you $1k for telling me where it's located? LOL, but seriously, if you have the place to keep it, I would consider it an investment if nothing else. Even if you get it home and it needs more work that you're capable of or can afford, let it go again to someone who wants a pretty stock EB that needs some work. Nothing says it has to be ready to drive across the country tomorrow, or enter a car show next weekend. Take it slow and fix what you can, when you can. That's a rare find for the price.