• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

old harness to newer steering column diagram

waldrgd

Loc.
alabama
I am trying to find a wiring diagram to wire a 1969 Bronco harness to a newer Bronco column. The newer column has the crescent moon shaped connector like a 1976 model. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You will need to add a horn relay to connect wires 460 and 482 when wire 1 gets grounded by the horn button.

If the new column is auto you need to connect dash lighting power to wire 19.

You can use the new hazard switch by running the hazard flasher output to wire 385.

Attachments

• 74-69 column.JPG
    74-69 column.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 87

mattt

Bronco Guru
I see you have 2 good diagrams already, but I'll add my 2 cents. When I converted to a 78-79 Bronco factory tilt column, I used the info on BC Broncos tech page as reference. Instead of splicing wires together, I got new, correct wire ends @ an electronics store for the 69 style plug and installed those ends on the column bare wire ends. I cut the half moon connector off. Working like a charm.

Here is the tech page BC Broncos.... http://www.bcbroncos.com/techtips08.html

VW....I see you mentioned the horn wiring issue. I believe mine is still working without a relay?....late column in 69 Bronco. If I'm not mistaken, the power for the horn passes thru the horn button circuit on it's way to the actual horn...horn button I'm using is 2 wire.
Also, I see you mentioned using the column mounted hazard switch. This I would like to do because I'm out of real estate on my dash. My 69 currently has the dash mounted hazard pull type switch and a second flasher relay behind the dash. I tried to figure this out when I installed the column but never finished. The red/white stripe wire in the column is for the mounted hazard switch. My existing 69 hazard switch has 2 wires going to it. Which single wire do you hook to the column hazard switch single wire....and what about the second flasher relay...I'm guessing it's deleted since the column mounted hazard switch ties into the turn signal circuit? Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I see you have 2 good diagrams already, but I'll add my 2 cents. When I converted to a 78-79 Bronco factory tilt column, I used the info on BC Broncos tech page as reference. Instead of splicing wires together, I got new, correct wire ends @ an electronics store for the 69 style plug and installed those ends on the column bare wire ends. I cut the half moon connector off. Working like a charm.

Here is the tech page BC Broncos.... http://www.bcbroncos.com/techtips08.html

VW....I see you mentioned the horn wiring issue. I believe mine is still working without a relay?....late column in 69 Bronco. If I'm not mistaken, the power for the horn passes thru the horn button circuit on it's way to the actual horn...horn button I'm using is 2 wire.
Also, I see you mentioned using the column mounted hazard switch. This I would like to do because I'm out of real estate on my dash. My 69 currently has the dash mounted hazard pull type switch and a second flasher relay behind the dash. I tried to figure this out when I installed the column but never finished. The red/white stripe wire in the column is for the mounted hazard switch. My existing 69 hazard switch has 2 wires going to it. Which single wire do you hook to the column hazard switch single wire....and what about the second flasher relay...I'm guessing it's deleted since the column mounted hazard switch ties into the turn signal circuit? Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out.

The non-EB columns continued to use the 2-wire horn after the EB column was changed to single wire in '74.

For the hazards just take the white-red wire from the dash haz sw and run it to the column haz sw. You can then leave the connector off the the old haz sw and everything should work.

Should be 4 wires going to the old haz sw, white-red from haz flasher, red-black going to column connector rear brake terminal, and the 2 front turn wires going to the firewall connectors.

'69 Hazard Connections
red-white=12v from fuse panel to hazard flasher, circuit #383
white-red=12v from hazard flasher to hazard switch, circuit #385
white-blue=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to RF turn light terminal), circuit #2A
green-white=hazard flasher to body connector (ties to LF turn light terminal), circuit #3A
red-black=hazard flasher to column connector (ties to brake switch output), circuit #810A

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thanks VW...that was the trick. I hadn't looked at the back side of the hazard switch in years & you are correct, there are 4 wires exactly as you described. One thing that surprised me was that the hazard lights still flashed on their own flasher relay. Since the column mounted hazard switch is tied into the turn signal switch, I kind of expected the hazards to flash off the turn signal flasher relay...but I guess not. Do later early Bronco's with the column mounted hazard switch still have 2 flasher relays like my 69 does?

Thanks again for the guidance...that helps me knock one more thing off the dash in prep for my upcoming dash re-do by Nicks Trix.