• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Lift Mod...Got 'er done!

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Finally started the lift project for my bronco. After reading the TBP lift installation guide, the installation instructions from WH, and the 14 piece bushing replacement guide by Heuss33 I decided it was time to get started. :)

We started at 9:30, and by 12:30 we had the coils removed, shocks removed, new SS brake hose installed, front axel pulled, radius arm removed and ready for the new c-bushings to be installed. We forgot grease, and the local ace/napa is 20 minutes away. I'm on baby-sitting duty for the remainder of the day, so this is where we quit. Needless to say I'll be picking up a handful of cotter pins, goop and grease later today. Tomorrow I hope to have the front end completed ;D

Here's some proof...

Attachments

• IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3243.jpg
    IMG_3243.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3245.jpg
    IMG_3245.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The fun begins!!!!So blamejane ,what size lift did you go with?

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Ace didn't have goop, so I got gojo...;)

savage: I have the WH 2.5" w/bilsteins

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Nice.
It is really a great feeling.
I laid under the truck for like 40 minutes just staring up at it when I got done. I was tired, yeah, but it was glorious!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get back on those bushings! Work day ain't over yet. Don't let a little greasy kid stuff ruin your day. Go back in the house and grab the liquid hand soap dispenser (bushing lube dispenser I mean) and have at it. The fun I mean.

That stuff actually works really good, washes off any residual, and doesn't in any way harm the bushings that anyone knows of.
Perhaps not quite as lubricitatious as anti-seize, bearing grease, or that sticky silicone stuff the bushing companies sell, but it works!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First time I've noticed your license plate too. Nice.
And by the way, who're those two manly looking characters messing with YOUR Bronco? Hand one of 'em the baby and dive right in with the wrenches and greasy hands!

Hmm, I guess with their already-greasy hands though, the correct person has baby duty (no pun intended?) already. ;D

Paul

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Nice.
It is really a great feeling.
I laid under the truck for like 40 minutes just staring up at it when I got done. I was tired, yeah, but it was glorious!

I know exactly what you mean. I'm not even halfway finished yet, and I'm already smiling. In fact I'm still smiling, just thinking about it. I got a glimpse of what I was in for (lift-wise), when I had to open the driver to retrieve some duct tape. The truck was jacked-up, frame supported with jack-stands, and when I reached in I thought to myself, "whoa, this is gonna-be bad a$$."

In case you're wondering, the duct-tape was used on the cap of the front-differential. Something to do with a bunch of bb's coming out it I wasn't careful.

Get back on those bushings! Work day ain't over yet. Don't let a little greasy kid stuff ruin your day. Go back in the house and grab the liquid hand soap dispenser (bushing lube dispenser I mean) and have at it. The fun I mean.

That stuff actually works really good, washes off any residual, and doesn't in any way harm the bushings that anyone knows of.
Perhaps not quite as lubricitatious as anti-seize, bearing grease, or that sticky silicone stuff the bushing companies sell, but it works!

Paul

Now you tell me Paul...

I mean, where were you this afternoon when I didn't have any grease?! That's good to know for future reference, but being the woman that I am I can honestly say I would have worried about swapping the grease out. :p

First time I've noticed your license plate too. Nice.
And by the way, who're those two manly looking characters messing with YOUR Bronco? Hand one of 'em the baby and dive right in with the wrenches and greasy hands!

Hmm, I guess with their already-greasy hands though, the correct person has baby duty (no pun intended?) already. ;D

Paul

Classic. Well I wasn't pictured but I had an integral role and I was definitely greasy. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't do more. If I had my way I would have done it all, and only called in the big guns for the most difficult of bolts, BUT...

They were all too tough for me :(

My husband and step-father did the major work, I was the instructor. We did great working together as a team, only a few swear words along the way (directed at various bolts) nothing personal. We would have had a sweet time of it except I incorrectly directed my husband to remove the wrong break-line, and it just so happened that one of these bolts gave hime the most difficulty.

The best part of what we did was seeing how excited my husband was everytime he used the impact hammer. It just made easy work of everything and he was like a kid with a new toy. It was a must have tool for the project. Also, haven't needed the breaker-bar yet; so I'm wondering when that's gonna come into play.

I have to say with the small progress that was accomplished, and the small part I played, my body aches really bad. Like wtf?! How am I gonna feel tomorrow? Yikes...

Thanks for all of the support, I'll be posting more progress photos tomorrow.

TorchRedTulsan

Take as many pictures as you can! I'll be following this intently. I'm still waiting on my leaf springs to be delivered

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
There aint nothing like a new suspension.lookin good.Paul this is a new one on me...lubricitatious.Did you patent that word yet??;D

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Problem with the shocks...

The old shocks had a loop at the bottom and threaded bolt at the top. The new bilsteins have hoops on both ends. So, wtf? What am I missing?

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
nevermind, didn't realize there were two sets of shocks (rear and front). d'oh!

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Made some progress, though not as much as I would have liked. Worked from about 10:30 am to 1:30 pm, then had to quit for Easter dinner with the family. I should have mentioned before, we are using my parents garage to install the lift. Our garage has an un-even dirt floor, while there's is concrete. They also have a compressor to run the impact hammer.

The biggest challenge of the day was getting the threaded ends of the radius arms installed. Trying to get the front axle far enough back so that we could get the nut on with the new bushings and washer in-place, was proving difficult. We opted for a come-along to draw the front axle back a little further, just enough to get the nut started. Other than that we spent time cleaning with solvent and wire-brush, then some rattle can black to the coil cups/retaining clips. Today's missing part was a broken washer for one of the coil cup bolts. We didn't have any in the garage that were large enough and all of the shops were closed for Easter. No biggie. We got the one coil installed and will do the other in a few days.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get the track bar bushing installed? It looks like I'm supposed to use a vise. Anyway I noticed my track bar bushing is torn-up and I'm thinking I'd better order a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3249.jpg
    IMG_3249.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 88

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Yeah, ya'll doing good!!! That washer thing is why I laughed about only one trip back to the parts house!!! Hey and you even got in the pics!!!!;D;D;D

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
When I put my track bar bushings on they went together with out using a vise.

TorchRedTulsan

Looking great!

My track bar bushings went in with no problem as well...eventually. Did you get a new track bar? My old one had egged out so the bushings wouldn't fit. 2 ruined bushing kits later, I got a new, adjustable track bar

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Bronco Guru
Yeah, ya'll doing good!!! That washer thing is why I laughed about only one trip back to the parts house!!! Hey and you even got in the pics!!!!;D;D;D

Shut down by a single washer!! Okay yesterday I got all dolled-up with makeup and all, ready for the photo-op, but was always the one taking pics (least greasy hands). Today, sans-makeup, I was still determined to get in at least one shot. Thanks for noticing;D

When I put my track bar bushings on they went together with out using a vise.

Thanks savage.

Looking great!

My track bar bushings went in with no problem as well...eventually. Did you get a new track bar? My old one had egged out so the bushings wouldn't fit. 2 ruined bushing kits later, I got a new, adjustable track bar

I didn't get a new trac bar. Do I really need one for a 2.5 inch lift? Also, what do you mean yours had "egged-out"?

I'm going to purchase a few things, so you'll chime in if you think I need to add the trac-bar. What will happen if I need one, but don't have one?