• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5OD-R2 vs ZF transmission

dsw1976

Loc.
Salt Lake
I am trying to make my 72 a bit more of a daily driver, and want a trans that I can run on the freeway. I have been trying to find a ZF for a good price and keep running into a bunch of F150's that have the M5OD-R2. I know that they are not as solid as the ZF but I found one in good shape and thought it might be a good short term option.

Does anyone know if I can put that in with the same modifications and kits as the ZF and then just swap it out if/when I find a ZF? Thanks.

hucklburry rev2

I have been told yes the ZF kit will work with this trans, make sure its behind a 5.0 or 351,not a 4.6

I had one in my F-150 1997, behind a 4.6, and it was fine. Its not as heavy duty as a ZF, but my 97 f-150 4x4 extended cab weighed over 6000#. Putting it in a little lighter Bronco should help.

Some are running them just fine in EBs. I don't think first is as low, but its probably a more streetable tranny than the ZF.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I picked up a Mazda style trans with less than 40K miles on it. It came from a 4.2 F150. I had to drill out the bell housing bolt holes in order to get the 302 bell housing bolts to fit throught. The 4.2 must use a smaller bell housing bolt.

The reason for the 4.2 model trans is the shifter is 2 inches further back or away from the dash. I had the early style mazda installed and the shifter still cleared the dash. Sadly that trans did not have reverse so I lost $100 on that deal.

The ZF adapter works fine on the Mazda trans. I made my own cross member and install and fabricated my own hydraulic clutch set up. i have a post some where here with pics.

I am very pleased with the trans. Mine is a daily driver and I figured I would never need the strength of the ZF plus with the ZF you can't use first gear, its a crawling type gear so you really loose out on the first gear.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'd love to be able to run a M5OD but it wouldn't hold up to 43's on my trail truck and it wouldn't hold up to 400+HP on the street either... ;( Sucks to be me - can't find a ZF anywhere around here.

OP
OP
D

dsw1976

Loc.
Salt Lake
I picked up a Mazda style trans with less than 40K miles on it. It came from a 4.2 F150. I had to drill out the bell housing bolt holes in order to get the 302 bell housing bolts to fit throught. The 4.2 must use a smaller bell housing bolt.

The reason for the 4.2 model trans is the shifter is 2 inches further back or away from the dash. I had the early style mazda installed and the shifter still cleared the dash. Sadly that trans did not have reverse so I lost $100 on that deal.

Is this still considered the R2? And other than drilling out the housing was there anything different on the mod that would keep me from putting in a ZF in the future if needs be?

Thanks, Dan

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
You could still use the hydraulic clutch with the ZF and the ZF D20 adapter. Not sure if the cross member would be in the same location or not. Others have used the ZF cross member with the mazda trans swap. Yes its still the R2 model.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
All the M5OD's in bigger trucks are R2's Basically R1's were only behind 4.0l engines in the ranger based vehicles Bronco II's and explorer types. Everything else got R2's
As for strenght well while they never put them behind engines bigger than 302's plenty of people have been running them and abusing them for years. Some have had issues others have not. I dont think they are really any more prone to having issues that any other tranny that you beat on. Well maybe slightly more prone to issues than a cast iron tranny.
While Ive never done it supposedly the M5 and ZF will directly replace each other. ie same lenght hydro clutch ect.
Get you one rebuild it seems syncos are a high wear item in them and change out the rubber plugs on the shift rails for metal plugs and filler up with the right oil and it should last a good long time you may never need to swap to a ZF.
If you have the correct axle gearing for your tire size there will be less strain on the tranny. So it will take less of a beating.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
KyleQ,
It is funny that you can't find one. When I posted up that I bought mine in Phoenix and what I paid for it, someone on this board told me that they are not hard to find and that he probably would have sold me his for half of what I paid.
Sure, keep looking. In the meantime.....you don't have a ZF. I guess I am just not patient enough to wait.

If you guys want it, you can PM me and I will give you the source for where I got mine. I dealt with the guy over the phone and then did the cash in person. He had me put a deposit on it due to having it shipped in.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - I've even looked at buying entire trucks for the damn transmission... If it were me I would have FIVE of them, one in my 86' F350, 95' F150, 96' Bronco and both my 74' Broncos... ;(

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Does anybody happen to have a dimension drawing of a M5R2?

What are you looking for, the overall length of the trans and case or just the trans? I can measure mine. I think I only had to have my driveshaft shortened a couple of inches.

Pat B

Something that shows overall length and shifter location would be really good. I went with the ZF but really don't need the creeper first gear. I'm looking at swapping for the M5R2.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Here's my old post. I show both style Mazda trans shifter locations. Can't recall if I put the over all length in there or not. If not I will try to measure it tomorrow. I'm in the middle of some body work right now.

OP
OP
D

dsw1976

Loc.
Salt Lake
I recently bought my bronco and had no idea what gears I had in it. I checked and it is stock 3.50, which surprised me because I have a ton of power starting off in 2nd even with my 35” tires. I am learning, but consider myself mechanically challenged. Can someone explain, or direct me to a post or site that explains how power from the engine is pushed through the transmission and then to the axle and what are the risks of having too much power vs. the wrong gears or transmission.
If I have a 302 and want to put the M5R2 behind it to make it more of daily driver it seems to me that the higher the gears the better it will perform on the street. But, will having the 3.50 cause wear or damage to anything? Or will I just be giving up performance on the trail? What are the risks or concerns if any, do I run a risk of breaking anything by doing 302/M5R2/3.50 or just performance on the trails? Thanks for all the answers I really appreciate your knowledge and experience.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
It's based on your cam selection. A good RV or low end torque type cam works best in a truck. A high revving or racing cam woul have poor performance at low rpm's.

It all boils down to the torque rating of the trans and ones driving style. You can have a monster engine with a light foot and use any trans you want. Point is you can break anything.

I would be very pleased with 3.50 gears and my 5-speed but I already had 4.10 gears and it's fine too. If I did more highway driving I would consider changing to 3.50 gears but I don't so what I have works for me. If I had a higher revving cam then maybe 3.50 gears would be a bad choice.

To many variables here but mainly cam selection and driving style.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Found me a ZF5 - comes in a F250 sans a front axle, a 351W and a NP205. Score for me!