• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Got New Seats and now my truck isn't my truck anymore

dedgar

Well, the sheepskin seat covers finally gave out as they concealed the torn up original seats in my 70 Sport.

So I ordered a new set of seat covers and foam and a dash pad for good measure.

Well I got the dash pad and got that installed and it makes the truck look like new, at least from the dash pad up to the beginning of the windshield.

I started to do the reupholstery of the seats, but 1/4 way through decided to call in the pro's. Found a local guy who did it great and at a price I was very happy with.

I re-installed them back to the truck. During this time I discovered the Drivers right front bolt is held on to the underside of the bronco with 44 year old putty that cracked away and fell off the moment you mess with the bolt. So tightening the bolt was difficult without 10 foot arms to hold the top and reach under the truck, but I did it. I also discovered the nut on the left back of the drivers seat likes to fall off too but the thing is you can't reach it as there is a gas tank in the way. So, I'm living on the edge with only three bolts holding my seat in place.

But I digress, I get my new seats back on the old truck and sit down. I swear I'm 1 1/2 to 2 inches taller in the truck now! My mirrors are all off. It's weird, and I don't like it. The seat is too tall, there is no back comfort, as the it's like sitting with a huge beach ball behind me.

I guess 44 years of sitting on those old seat wore them in like a fine lazy boy. It's not comfortable to drive now, I feel like I'll bounce out of the truck if I hit a bump.

Anyone else have this happen when they did this?

I got everything from Bronco Hut and was happy with it all, except the backs to the seats are not like the original but a piece of cardboard with fabric glued to it. I like the plastic backs, but mine are very fragile after 44 years and have faded yellow like a fine IBM computer.

The foam was labeled 69 Mustang.

Now if you're not sitting in it, it does look great.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Be patient they will settle in. I have not done my bronco yet but my other car I had the seat redone and same thing it just felt weird. It's been about 6 months now and it feels great, just needed some ass time to break her in. ;D

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I worked at a mustang shop in the 80s in Austin Tx did a lot of 65 mustang seats had the same problem the foam can be a little stiff. I am getting ready to do my 66 mustang seats in a month TMI should have quality stuff ,like earlier said give it a chance it's almost like door weatherstrip takes awhile to flatten out so the door will close ,I guess after awhile if you still don't like it call the vender see what they ,

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

I worked at a mustang shop in the 80s in Austin Tx did a lot of 65 mustang seats had the same problem the foam can be a little stiff. I am getting ready to do my 66 mustang seats in a month TMI should have quality stuff ,like earlier said give it a chance it's almost like door weatherstrip takes awhile to flatten out so the door will close ,I guess after awhile if you still don't like it call the vender see what they ,

I put on new weather striping 9 years ago and the passenger door still has to be slammed to shut properly. It never did flatten.

I'll give the seats a few months of wear to see if they can settle in.

OP
OP
dedgar

dedgar

looks good. thats my next project is seat foam and covers. but most vendors have little to no pictures of their covers.

thanks, those are from Bronco Hut and they make them to order so you can get them in any color. Plus you can choose your inside texture or no texture. I think they sew them in mexico now. You will have to reuse your wire from the old seats or if you give it to a pro he'll put in his own stuff.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Mine are new too, but I bought the truck this way. I am 5'10" and am staring at the top of the windshield frame. Have to lean down to see traffic lights. Sucks...

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Lay one of these on its side in the seat at night? :)

waterjug_zps31657ed4.jpg

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
I just redid mine, Bronco Hut covers (my 2nd set of covers from them, both quality) with new TMI foam and same result and same thoughts as you. They are firmer and fuller. I honestly liked the original better but I had a ripped passenger cover that was an eyesore. I did the install myself and it was a pain. This picture shows one replacement and one original. I'm hoping they will break in with some seat time.

photo-2_zpse6fe6088.jpg

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Timely post! I'm in the process of doing mine with TMI foam and TMI covers from CJ Pony Parts. Doing it myself and it's not too hard. So far I've finished the passenger seat. But I, three, found the new foam raises the seats 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Mine are very comfortable but I do hope they settle down a bit! ;D

BTW, you can make new listing wires out of coat hangers or welding rod.

Last edited:

TX SS

Contributor
Loc.
Houston
Ok what one is the original? The one on the right?

If you are asking me, replacement on left and original on right. Insert color on replacement is parchment instead of light parchment (which is color of original insert).

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
I had orig. parchment seats with the fabric in the middle. I re did them with a WH black vinyl kit. They look great! I liked sitting in the old ones better. They were way comfortable just 40+ years old and looked like it. And the black, in Fresno, what was I thinking!!!