• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 HO cam?

cs_88

Bronco Guru
So I picked up a 351W roller from a '96 Bronco and I'm starting to weigh some options.
I'm not looking to put a lot of money into it right now, pretty much just going to switch it over to a carb and run it.
I will be replacing the timing chain which got me thinking about cams.
I'm basically thinking I'll either just run the stock cam that's in it or possibly pick up a 5.0 HO for cheap.
What do you guys think? Worth swapping cams or just run it as is?

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The HO cam will be better above 2500 RPM and should take you pst 5000 RPM if needed The truck cam will be better on the lowend but should peter out around 4500 RPM. If your going to run OD Id stick with the stock cam. If no OD then the HO cam may be a better choice although Im not really sue its worth going out and buying one.

mortimersnerd

I'd run as is. As mentioned above, truck cam will make better bottom end, making it better suited for a 4x4.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you run the HO cam, and since you are changing the timing chain set anyway, just buy one with the multiple degreed keyways so you can advance the cam.
Advancing the cam timing (not the same as the ignition timing) will lower the rpm at which the torque peaks. Starting your pulling earlier in the rpm range.

You often see 2, 4 or even 6 degrees on some sets, but I bet 4° advance will really wake up a cam like that in a heavy truck.
Just another thought anyway.

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If everything else is in good shape, run as is with new timing chain as needed. Advance 4' as well. Some aftermarket Cams have the 4' advance built in already.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
With the stock cam Id wouldnt advance it its power band is already low enough coupled to the fact that its a 351 it wont lack any lowend but could probably use a little top end. If you were going to use the HO cam then maybe advancing it would pull more low end but again with the 351 you can use more cam and not wory that much about the lowend loss.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Running the HO cam advanced 4 degrees seems to be fairly popular. Just wondering how that would compare to just leaving it stock.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Running the HO cam advanced 4 degrees seems to be fairly popular. Just wondering how that would compare to just leaving it stock.

I run the mustang HO cam in my 5.0 advanced 4 degrees. Never tried it straight up. It starts pulling strong above 2K and doesn't stop until it hits the rev limit. I'm going to drop one in a 351w the same way. I expect the 351w to start pulling good at much lower revs but it will only have stock gt40 heads.

OP
OP
cs_88

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Now, if I did swap in the HO cam I can't imagine there would be a need to change valve springs. Correct?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Now, if I did swap in the HO cam I can't imagine there would be a need to change valve springs. Correct?

Not very much difference in lift between the two cams. I don't think it will be a problem.