• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fenderwell headers

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Happy Holidays CB.com!

Just wondering if anyone knows of or has a line on fenderwell exit headers for our early Bronco's for 302/351W

Research suggests that they were available once upon a time, but doesn't seem anyone currently offers them.

My plan / goal: I want to to be able to convert my '74 Bronco back & forth between street cruiser and weekend racer. Currently, mine is fairly tame for street driving with a mildly built 302. My plan is to build a second full roller motor based on the 351W platform but ultimately will be a 408 or 427 cu. in. for weekend sand / mud racing. When the time comes to switch motors, I will also change the torque converter, have a second hood ready for obvious clearance issues and was really wanting to run the fenderwell exit headers with the race motor to direct the heat out and away from the under carriage and transmission. There are some kits that can be purchased to build a custom set but they require welding and don't look the best unless they are plated or hot jet coated. My alternative plan is to purchase a set of upright headers used by the 4WD pullers which would work OK with the second hood - would just need to add two more openings.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows of anyone manufacturing the fenderwell headers for the classic Bronco.

DJs74

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You might want to contact Hooker see if they will make a set for you they should still have the plans for them. They quit offering them a few years ago. They had 1 5/8 primarys and a 3in collector. Definetly better for the guys with bigger engines. Might want to contact Hooker to see if they would do a small run. You could see if anyone here is interested then you would have a numeber to work with and the price might be lower if enough are ordered. Maybe a option for coated or uncoated.
Although getting a set made locally would probably cost about as much and be to your specs.

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.

I like the idea about contacting Hooker, which gives me another thought... I've used some L&L Products in the past for big block Ford conversions - wonder if they might have the plans or be willing to give it a shot? They do a lot of headers for conversions for pickups, Bronco's, Ranger's and Bronco II's

Thanks again!!

DJs74

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Build them... fender headers are easy to build. You can readily purchase entire kits to build them. Only built one set of headers for a Bronco and they were a total PITA fit btw the inner fender and engine... having them exit "straight" out from the heads for a foot would make it much easier.

BTW, why swap engines? How come you figure you won't be able to drive the proposed stroker motor on the street? 750+ HP or something? Really-just wondering. My stroker goes pretty good and I drive it year round (snow covered streets isn't as much fun as it used to be tho- and that's mainly my computer program for my tranny as it shifts pretty positive.)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The novelty of swapping engines will wear off about the second time you do it.
Sounds like a great plan, but when reality hits you will find it is a horrible plan.

For the proposed stroker engine the old off the shelf headers wouldn't even work. Build your own (or commission someone to build them for you). That way you can get a decent primary tube diameter.

tmbuehrer

Loc.
homer michigan
Get a hold of maddog headers in Allen mi. I worked there part time when I was slow in the winter and we made a set for mine. He also has a set that basically the same as the old hookers. Mine are a mid length header as where the hooker replicas are long tube and hung down too far for my likings.
bf3a655c7930d6c6455457d15889495d.jpg
54eb3bbd3ef19945cc3e5d0ca7466b25.jpg
ff183b23eaeeab69a389203394f77ffd.jpg
d81a60ac487a61ce08758a55e12b33b4.jpg
54959d7963f242ade2fa7757ea694d83.jpg

First two are the mid length headers that are on my rig now. The last three are the long tubes. https://vimeo.com/113817305

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
X2 on the novelty wearing off having to swap them.

Waaay long time ago... we did this in HS. Swapped an almost non-streetable engine in to drag at Golden Gardens and Maltby about every other weekend into a '69 Trans Am...fun with 3 buddies, but we were kids... young, dumb, and tons of time! : )

OP
OP
DJs74

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Hey guys, Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just to clarify... I'm not planning to do the swap every weekend. We have about 4 to 5 events per year starting Memorial Day and running through July so my swap would be only once per year. I would install the race motor around March / April, run the events and then put my tame street manner motor back in maybe late July or August.

I had contemplated on just building the one and leaving it in but if I build it they way I have it on paper with a minimum of 13:1 CR and a camshaft in the neighborhood of .700 lift, I don't think it will be feasible - not to mention fuel challenges.

Right now this is strictly a theory and a plan. I have the Windsor motor available to me but as of yesterday, a 351 Cleveland got involved in the mix. My uncle and cousin are both Ford guys... uncle built a 1950 Ford originally with a 289, then 351W, now a 351C. Cousin has a 1970 Mach 1 and has a couple spare Cleveland motors I've been offered - so now I'm confused. My gut tells me to stick with the 351W but IMO, it is hard to beat a Cleveland and knowing it will fit, my head is spinning.

I'll have to do some more homework and put it all on paper and see which scenario seems best. In the meantime, I appreciate all the input and suggestions on header leads.

DJs74

nvrstuk

Contributor
Stroke the Cleveland!! : ) The first Cleveland swap we did was the home-made header build also... long time ago!

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm putting a set on my Bronco when I stick my built 351W in my trail truck - hope they don't hang down too far-

Header.jpg