• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top Bolts

redvettemike

Contributor
This question is in regard to the bolts/fateners that hold the top onto the body of an EB. Have any of you folks bought and installed some sort of bolts that are 'quick release'? That is, when the owner wants to take the top off, some sort of fasteners that will release without a bunch of tools and a bunch of ratcheting? Thanks for any insight on that subject. Such fasteners would also have to hold the top on securely. Mike

gmurrell

getting the top of is a pain i know but trust me you want it bolted on. if you go with quick release pins or something similar you will want a few actual bolts at key points to keep the squeaks and rattles to a minimum. beside the noise you could be damaging windows (including the front window/frame). good luck!

House

Minutia Militia
I use camper shell clamps on my trail rig top.

Attachments

• uclamp.jpg
    uclamp.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 18

jckkys

Bronco Guru
DZUS fasteners are used to secure access panels on large aircraft where they work well. I don't think they are strong enough for the Bronco hard top. A 1/4" thick steel strap welded inside the rear quarters and inside the top above the wind shield frame with threaded holes to replace the nuts would speed the top install and removal.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used 1-1/2 X 1/4" steel strap and tapped the 5/16" -18 threads in it and then cut the strap in a couple of pieces on each side. That way you don't need to have a wrench on the bottom and its easy to deal with the bolts by the door. Just hold the plate up and start the bolts. You also don't distort the bed rail when you snug everything up. Never worked up a solution for the windshield frame. I pop rivet the gasket for the top to the top so you don't have to deal with that. Just make sure the flat head is on the bottom it fits in the recess center of the gasket.

wepuckett

If you go through Englewoodcowboy's Duck build he did something I would consider quick release by gettting weldon nuts and welded them on so all he needed was one ratchet to pull all the bolts out to remove the top. I know it isn't exactly what your looking for but would make it as quick as you could get and still be safe.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
mike is this for the red one, or the one you just started working on?

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Well, it is for both. Both these guys say they want to take the tops off. The second one (will be gray and black) has a second set of doors where we have welded up the top window gap and they will have no vent glass so it will be a clean shot along the top panel rail when the top is off. Tks.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Before it painted the best thing to do is to weld in bolt or bolt tabs to the body. This way you only need to unbolt. It is alot less hassle than trying to reach the nut with a wrench.

Joe473

Since they are already painted how about rivnuts? I used them for my best top soft top but have not tried putting a hard top back on yet.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
Grainger and others sell them. Look up rivnut and nutsert brand names. Many different types based on thickness of sheet metal and type of material for nut.
Tool looks like a rivet gun or I heard u can use a nut bolt and some thrustvwashers

http://www.rivet-nut.com/Rivnut_Fasteners.asp
This works awsome.. i did this on my truck. no more using two wrenches to unbolt the top. I did it along to bed and the windshield frame. Took doing a few to get it right so almost ran out of what i ordered but did ok in the end. Worth doing.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is the seal thick enough to clear the part of the rivnut that will be on the bed rail? the rivnuts will mount flush with a fraction of an inch being above the bed rail. if so, then they sound like the ticket for the red bronco mike. the other bronco is not painted yet so he could do something hidden on it. the plan for it is pretty extensive, it will be like a show vehicle.

Joe473

is the seal thick enough to clear the part of the rivnut that will be on the bed rail? the rivnuts will mount flush with a fraction of an inch being above the bed rail. if so, then they sound like the ticket for the red bronco mike. the other bronco is not painted yet so he could do something hidden on it. the plan for it is pretty extensive, it will be like a show vehicle.
I used 1/8" nitrile rubber and made my own seal for the softop rails. Worked great. Mcmaster car sells it. Also you can find flush rivnuts. Other thing to mention they work best ifbthe face of the nut has something to tighten against. I went with larger nuts so OD was larger than hole in softop rail.