• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you do for a jack?

Bferrari

Seems like most people are carrying spare tires on the backs of their rigs. I am wondering what you all are doing for jacks? Are you toting around the factory jack? I see some with High Lift jacks, how are you using them to change tires? Lifting off the bumpers? My plan is to run 33's on my rig and I'm trying to figure out what I want to use for a jack and where I am going to put it. Please let me know what you guys are doing and if you have any recommendations.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I have a scissor jack out of a 1 ton pick up and a high lift that was in the Bronco when I bought it. Haven't had to use either one yet but the scissor will be my first choice,terrain permitting.
Just my opinion,but I've been told I don't know Jack...

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I have a scissor jack out of a 1 ton pick up and a high lift that was in the Bronco when I bought it. Haven't had to use either one yet but the scissor will be my first choice,terrain permitting.
Just my opinion,but I've been told I don't know Jack...

HA!

I have a high lift but haven't had to use it

ogr

Loc.
Vail
I carry a small bottle jack, short 2x6 (12") for a base, and short 4x4 (6") to put between jack and frame. It all stows in an ammo can with some disposable coveralls.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I carry a Hi-Lift and a small (2 ton) bottle jack. I also carry a short piece of 1/4" chain with hooks on both ends to chain the axle to the frame when using the Hi-Lift so the jack doesn't have to overcome the suspension. On flat ground my choice is the bottle jack under the axle because that's more stable than the Hi-Lift on the bumper.
Mark.

stoker

I don't carry a jack or a spare. I haven't had a flat in any vehicle for over 25 years so I figured I would play the odds and hope for the best. If I get in dire need there are usually lots of tire companies that would love to help repair a flat (and empty my wallet).

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have a Hi lift but have never used it. Also have carried a small bottle jack. I store my Hi lift on my roll bar and the bottle jack came in a plastic box I stuck under the seat.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
x3, I carry a high-lift and a small hydralic bottle jack. I also keep a few short pieces of 2" x 8" boards to use under the jacks if needed.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Hi-Lift or Farm jack.
Bolted to back bumper with big wing nuts. One of the studs has a hole big enough for a small/skinny shaft master lock. Just a little insurance....

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have a high lift bolted to the cage, i've never used it on the bronco. I always pull it on its side with a buddies truck or snatch block and use my own winch. I prefer the "Camel Trophey" method, its faster and far more stable on unstable terrain.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
High lift for years. Although I found adding a bottle jack makes life a lot easier.
Each has there purpose and they are different. High lift is great for getting the whole truck up. Stretch out the springs. Better for getting unstuck or fixing something that went bad. But for something like a tire change a bottle jack is quicker, simpler and more stable. Not having to stretch out the springs and unload the chassis in funny ways.

Glass Pony

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sussex County Delaware
I carry the high lift jack. The Proto Fab rock blocker bumpers have a slot cut in them for the high lift jack.(in the pic you can see the slot just left of where the bumper mounts on the left side frame rail)
If you go the high lift route carry a ratchet strap to go around the frame and axle to limit the travel so you don't have to lift the truck 4' off the ground to change a tire.

And Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
Bferrari

Bferrari

For the guys with the bottle jacks, where are you storing them? A permanent place or are they just rattling around in the back?

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
I carry mine in a trail tool storage box that I made in the bed. I thought about mounting it on the inner fender like factory but the box works good enough for me.
Mark.

mjramacher

I have a bottle jack from my f350 I will be making a box to fit some tools and small storage items and put on the driver inner fender I haven't got that far in my build.;D

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
For 33's you can get a jack from a Ford F250, it is very similar to the original one that came in the bronco and stored on top of the driver fender. You can get new mounting brackets from the vendors or grab the brackets from a donor vehicle and make it work. Could be a trick item.