• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Whos running speed density EFI ?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
And what setup do you have? I know it's not the best system but at this point I have the complete van setup to work with.

I scored a running driving 96 E350 van. I'm in the process of pulling the 5.8L now. What a pain in the butt it is. Starting to hate the van......

I have a GT40 cast iron lower intake and was planning on running the Explorer upper.

The computer is:
LAD1 EEC-IV EFI-SD48B
F6UF-12A650-NB
64ESB48B85 27071-260 6A09

Want to keep everything as is but for the upper intake which will not fit under my hood. Hoping EFIGuy can work his magic on the harness and the computer.

What throttle body setup to run, computer, etc. ?

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Was really hoping someone was and could help with a few questions on the van setup.

Should have the motor out tonight......

Tim

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... GOOD LUCK TIM. Should have the motor out tonight. I said that once while working on a van.
.. I'd bought a Van dodge with a 360 & one of those Thermoalquad. THE BIG REASON I BOUGHT THIS ONE WAS BECAUSE HOW SMOOTH IT RAN & HOW FAST IT STARTED.. I was going to pull it for a little Dart. After about 3 day of pulling from the Van . I Gave up and got my cutting torch to cut one little strip out of the way so the motor would come out.
... ONE CUT & a piece of plastic caught fire. Yes FIRE.. Then the plastic dropped into the carb. later the carb burned & that was the end of that project... Use a Sawzall not a torch.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
If the trans is good it's worth some $$$

The transmissions in the big ford vans fail frequently
That's the first thing that gets sold from em at scrapyards

I have a line on a 96 E-250 for free. One owner. Runs good. Trans is toast. This is third trans in 140k since new
They are throwing van away
I called junkyard to inquire about value after engine is out
They said trans was most valuable part on a econoline

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The motor is out!!!! It took me all day Saturday, Sunday, a few hours Monday afternoon and about 2 hours last night. Not sure how Ford got it in there but I got it out. Minor use of a sawzall mainly on the exhaust.

I've determined that Mass Air is the way to go because there is no support for Speed Density. I've read so many threads my eyes are bleeding. I found SO much conflicting info. All the old sites like oldfordfuelinjection are no longer around so I'm in the dark as to what I can and can't use. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get the engine cleaned up and start collecting parts.

EFI Guy wants a few pictures of the ignition plugs. Hoping he can make me a Mass Air harness out of what I have. It's a 60 pin PCM ODB-I. I read it can be done but again, back to the conflicting info.....

No one wants parts off the van....Sold the radio and the jack handle....Got it posted on craigslist but no one's calling....

Tim

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I was sort of hoping some that has done this swap and kept the speed density would chime in.

Since the van intake is too tall, he will be swapping to the GT40 intake. I know that speed density doesn't respond well to head, cam, intake changes without tuning for them. Which isn't an option without any tuning software support for his PCM.

Despite being the EFI Guy, I have very little experience with speed density, it's become a lost art. I tuned one many years ago and a couple of others in a tuning class a year or two ago, but they were heavily modified.

I don't know if just changing intakes and throttle body is enough to screw with the way it runs or not.

If it will run fine then it's great news for Timmy, just rework the harness and run with it. If not, then a mass air conversion is likely in his future.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I was sort of hoping some that has done this swap and kept the speed density would chime in.

Since the van intake is too tall, he will be swapping to the GT40 intake. I know that speed density doesn't respond well to head, cam, intake changes without tuning for them. Which isn't an option without any tuning software support for his PCM.

Despite being the EFI Guy, I have very little experience with speed density, it's become a lost art. I tuned one many years ago and a couple of others in a tuning class a year or two ago, but they were heavily modified.

I don't know if just changing intakes and throttle body is enough to screw with the way it runs or not.

If it will run fine then it's great news for Timmy, just rework the harness and run with it. If not, then a mass air conversion is likely in his future.

If it helps any, back in the day I swapped my 86 upper/58 mm throttle body to the 87+ upper and 60 mm throttle body while using stock 86 speed density computer. It also had cone intake in fender (ditched stock airbox), shorties, and full 2.5 exh with no cats. Ran fine.

I didn't convert to mass air until I put the turbo on it.

DemoDicky74

Loc.
Omaha
I did an EFI swap a year ago with an 1988 Lincoln LSC 5.0HO that is SD. I have had zero problems with the install. Best part...I now get better than 3 gas stations to the gallon.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I have done this swap three times now with speed density motors. I really like them. As stated before do NOT use the GT-40 intake the motor will not run right. If you need to swap the upper find one from an early T-Bird or Mark VII I think the years would be 86-89 or maybe 90. I believe the lower is the same on both engines.

SD must be left stock so if you are looking for higher horse power then you would have to find all the mass air stuff. My latest swap was a Mark VII 5.0 HO EFI into my Ford Falcon Sedan delivery. I used a Ron Francis wiring kit for it and it fired first shot and has been running like a champ for two years now.
bf7bc6423912377c0c097a98337f9afe.jpg

I know it's not Bronco but the bronco swap looked very similar. HTH