• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

rear tahoe springs in bronco?

SavageBurro

Has anyone ever run 95-2000 Tahoe leaf springs in early bronco?

Looks like they are a total of 6" longer with the center 3" further back. Width is 2.5" and spring capacity is same as bronco at 1750lbs.

I was thinking they would be a great way to move the axle back 2.5 - 3" while providing decent flex and good ride. I haven't measured to confirm whether there is room for a rear spring hanger, but it would be close. Hanger would not have to be a full 6" back cause when ya go shackle flip, the hanger moves forward a tad in relation... to get the shackle at an angle when at rest.

I know its sacrilege :-X to even contemplate a chevy part on a bronco... other than disc brakes of course.

I haven't completely finished my suspension changes, but I moved my Sterling 10.25 back 2.5" by doing shackle flip, homemade longer shackles and making longer spring perches with the hole 2.5" forward of center. This is a magic distance so I can use a stock length driveshaft on 3.5" lift and the longer sterling pinion.

What I'm afraid of is the rear part of the u-bolts barely come up where the spring pack is still compressed together... and the springs may not perform as good as if the axle were centered. The chevy springs seem like they would resolve these issues.

I will try my setup out since I already spent the time making hangers and shackles and figuring out heights etc, but if that doesn't work out, I will have to go a different route... soo... if someone else has used the Tahoe, Yukon, denali, escalade springs, it would be great to hear from em.

By the way there is enough clearance (just barely) between the back of the diff and the crossmember / gas tank at full stuff with the axle back 2.5".

Thx!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I have been wondering this same thing... assuming I could get the proper amount of lift. I have pretty much had it with aftermarket lift springs for Broncos, I have wicked axle wrap, but that seems to be the price you pay for suspension travel with the currently available leaf springs for the EB.

Scoop

Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
There is room on the frame rail to move the rear spring hangers back up to 6 inches no problem. The longer springs would probably be good for articulation. Give it a try!

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Not real common, but I have the full size bronco / F150 leaf spring conversion. One of my best mods. Like you I was tired of replacing sagging springs and tire hop from axle wrap. The springs are incredibly cheap and available in several different capacities. They are about 12" longer but depending on how you run them you can put that differential forward of the axle rather than behind the axle. I ran mine as they were designed with the long offset toward the rear and the spring perch is about a 1/2" from the end of the rear frame rail. They flex very well, don't sag when loaded with camping gear, and are very smooth on / off-road loaded or unloaded. Most people who do this conversion actually reverse the spring offset and run the long side forward of the axle. This would allow you more room to move the axle back. Couldn't tell you if it rides as nice as mine but never heard any complaints form doing it this way.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Thanks guys. I picked up a used set of Tahoe springs that look to be in good condition from the local jy this weekend for good deal. I am going to go ahead and run my current setup to see how it works. If I don't like it, the Tahoe springs are going in and I will definitely post how they perform.

navalbronco66

Pics of any conversion, Tahoe, full size bronco? Also this will require a longer driveshaft correct?

Scoop

Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Pics of any conversion, Tahoe, full size bronco? Also this will require a longer driveshaft correct?

FSB's run 3" wide springs. You'd probably need to lengthen the DS - even an extra long slip joint might have problems with a 3 inch stretch.