• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1996 351W van oil pan and dipstick

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I was planning to use Ford Racing 351W/5.8L Engine Swap Oil Kit M6675A58 for my swap however money has gotten tight with my project due to a few unseen issues. I'm trying to save a few bucks where I can and read a van pan will work for the 351W swap. Well I have one of those already as well as pickup screen and dip stick. The pan just needs cleaning up and paint.

Just want to verify this is true and for those running the van pan (if any) did you use the van dipstick as well? It looks way to long but maybe it will work with some creative bending?

I guess I could always go to the junk yard and get a dip off a 5.8L truck.

Tim

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm using a van pan with a parts store dipstick - something off the wall-o-performance parts.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
Van dipstick and tube work great. (Really Long Though) I shortened both a little for a cleaner look. Mock it up first and you will see what I mean, then you can make it as long as you like.

Van Dip Stick can be seen here.

Attachments

• 77 Bronco - Hydroboost.jpg
    77 Bronco - Hydroboost.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 136

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I don't know if its different or not but I used a 95 E250 pan and just made my dipstick tube from some of that 3/8" soft steel brake line you get at the parts store. Then cut off the dipstick and marked the proper oil levels by drilling small hole in the dipstick at full and 1 qt low.

HOWEVER......That pan will NOT fit if you do no have any suspension lift. It was more than just slight interference. I heated it cherry red and moved it around to match the 302 pan's shape.

I then verified it when I changed springs by dropping it down on the bumpers. 2" suspension lift would have probably still kissed it and you would basically beat the required clearance into it.

Maybe the 95 and 96 E250 aren't the same??

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I then verified it when I changed springs by dropping it down on the bumpers. 2" suspension lift would have probably still kissed it and you would basically beat the required clearance into it.

Maybe the 95 and 96 E250 aren't the same??

95/96 E250 is the same part number for the 96 E350

Running a 2.5 SL in my rig. The pan looks like the same pan as the crown vic's that I know some are running but looks don't mean that much.

If a little self clearancing if it will save me $135 bucks, I'm all for it.

Cleaned the pan up this afternoon. I needs to be sand blasted and painted but that's easy enough and cheap.

Tim

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
thats the way i felt

95/96 E250 is the same part number for the 96 E350

Running a 2.5 SL in my rig. The pan looks like the same pan as the crown vic's that I know some are running but looks don't mean that much.

If a little self clearancing if it will save me $135 bucks, I'm all for it.

Cleaned the pan up this afternoon. I needs to be sand blasted and painted but that's easy enough and cheap.

Tim

by the time I got the 393 together I was tired of spending money and everyone said it would fit. I will see if I have a picture somewhere

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
by the time I got the 393 together I was tired of spending money and everyone said it would fit. I will see if I have a picture somewhere

A pic would be great. I can beat it around as needed.

Kind of in that same boat. I wasn't going to do a full rebuild just a re-ring but went with a rebuild. It was just a couple $100 more. Then decided to go EFI rather than carb. Found a few things wrong that I didn't plan on like the timing cover being cracked, alternator housing cracked and my EFI parts I was hoping to use were SD rather than mass air. Just trying to control cost where I can at this point. I was also hoping to sell a few more parts off the van than I have thus far.

Then on Monday the wife got rear ended taking our daughter to school. They're both fine but the car is totaled. Person that hit them has no insurance and was driving on expired tags. So I go from having a low mileage 2006 Impala SS to having a check that I can't replace the car with. Heck then I have to pay sales tax on anything I buy.

Bleeding money at this point........but I'll get through it.

Tim

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
only one I can find

you can see how I beat it back to clear the front diff by the little wrinkle.

when the axle bottomed out the edge of the axle made a grazing blow to the pans that just barely knocked the paint off my alterations and the brake line that went over the top of the axle dimpled it.

The 393/700R4 weighed enough to totally take away 1-1/2" of suspension lift I had with the 302/np435. I put in a little taller firmer spring and still have a good ride with about 1-1/2" of suspension lift.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
That absolutely sucks about your wife's car. Just glad they're both okay. So if you can wait a week I have a 351 truck timing cover and possibly an alternator for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
you can see how I beat it back to clear the front diff by the little wrinkle.

Thanks for the pic, I'll do some looking/measuring this weekend and see how big a wrinkle I might need to add prior to install.

That absolutely sucks about your wife's car. Just glad they're both okay. So if you can wait a week I have a 351 truck timing cover and possibly an alternator for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer. Further proof just how much the people on this site rock. I ordered a new timing cover and a host of other smalls today.

Tim

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I am still looking for a dipstick and tube for my 351w dual sump. Only catch is it is pan mounted and threaded. There was another thread that mentioned the earlier Crown Vics had them but they are short and I would like to find something long like this van push in type.

Any ideas for application to find a LONG tube (>15") screw in (5/8-18 thread) dual sump pan dipstick tube?

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Yep. Theirs is maybe 13" as is the Proform I currently have.

I have done quite a bit of searching and come up empty.

Maybe I can make something????