• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame tie-ins for a full roll cage

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have been working on my frame for a week now. I've replaced the rear shock mounts and removed the old rubber bump-stop mounts. Now I'm thinking of tying my roll cage to the frame. Can I see some attachment points of where you tied into your frame? FYI, I have a six point family roll cage (Crab Cage). Pics, links with page number and or diagrams much appreciated. Thx in advance! Matt

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thx Mark, I've been searching out all morning long and have saved lots of pics. Lots of debate on the pivot vs solid contact points. I like this by GenRight to get my thoughts going.

Last edited:

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Here are mine. I don't do much heavy off road so body flex has not been a issue. This is my B piler tie. The front and the rear bars technically sit over a little bit beefier underfloor reinforcement metals, and on top of the body mount from what I remember.
f222d5aae2523e083b0973856b26968c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
It's pics like that I'm like owing for Bastard! I don't have my tub nearby to measure so I'm looking at adding plates in certain A B C pillar spots of the frame.

frdboy

Contributor
I don't have any real good pics but you can see them in these pics, I used 1.75 DOM and large gussets at the frame side.

marklc

Contributor
Thx Mark, I've been searching out all morning long and have saved lots of pics. Lots of debate on the pivot vs solid contact points. I like this by GenRight to get my thoughts going.

I like the idea of some kind of rubber isolator myself. That's what's on mine. Unfortunately don't have any good pics of that with me.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I have looked and looked at so many dad-gum jeeps tie-in kits it's starting make me feel like I just kissed my sister! Hurling! But I've decided on some thing simple to me but no time to make. Heading over the pond for a short stint and I need to get things done around the house before I go. So I will seek out the help of our fine fabricators and vendors out there.

So here is what I need made. I prefer 1/4" thickness for the frame mount. I'm sure I can source out the DOM tube and rubber bushing. All I need is six frame mounts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Thx guys for the ideas. I'm working with a vendor right now on the frame mounting brackets. All I need are the bushing kits. The prices are all over the place depending on thickness and widths. Is there a standard size DOM to use? Width?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm going to do what Blue Bastard did - my entire front clip subframe is mounted to the frame along with my beef'd up A pillars. I'm going to weld backing plates to the frame and the bottom cage plates solid. My bumpers and anti-wrap mount makes the frame rock solid - no room for any flexing here.

OP
OP
Crawdad

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
1/4" brackets and 2" DOM sleeved poly bushings

A little update on the frame tie-in kits. I have found out these kits are either expensive or too small of a job to fabricate. I contacted one of our favorite fabricators and man he hit a grand slam! I sent him some ideas and he sent me the CNC schematics. This guys did great! I did source out the sleeved bushings ($10 ea) from Barnes 4x4 out of NC. I was hoping to weld these brackets on but time didn't allow. When I get back I will jump on it along with other brackets this fine gentleman made for me. I'll let you figure out who stepped up to the plate! Thanks again Brian!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 195

Thebeas

Loc.
Camden, SC
Hey crawdad. I'll be there by the time you get back and we'll figure it out. No need to kiss your sister... Unless she's purdy and don't mind none ;)

golfobx

Loc.
Suffolk, Va
What are the consequences of tieing into the frame. I heard you can cause frame micro fractures by tieing the cage into the frame. Any truth to that due to lack of body and frame being able to flex as much?

Thebeas

Loc.
Camden, SC
Anyone ever gone through the body to the frame instead of bolting the cage to the body and tying it in that way. Seems like that would eliminate the body flex issue. Anyone concerned with cutting a hole big enough to fit a cage through doesn't seem to me to need to "tie the cage to the frame!"