• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New 4R70W D20 Adapter from Wild Horses

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Due to the total lack of instructions with this kit, I thought it might be helpful if I did a little install thread to maybe help others out. Maybe even help guys decide if this is the route they want to go.

Pictures of the kit.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 161

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Due to the total lack of instructions with this kit, I thought it might be helpful if I did a little install thread to maybe help others out. Maybe even help guys decide if this is the route they want to go.

Pictures of the kit.

So a quick comment -
I believe AA made this kit for the 2WD trannys. Since there is no change in output shafts, you do not have to disassemble the 4R70W. You use a spud shaft and extension collar, which will add to the overall length of the drivetrain.

I do not know if there is a cost savings (probably), but it would be an easier route to go for most of us. And it makes a swap out out quicker if the tranny goes south...

But considering most of us are pulling motors and trans out of high mileage vehicles, I would think most of us would want to go through the tranny anyway.

Dirtdonk please comment... I think WH still sells all three AA kits. Doug

OP
OP
No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
This kit is for 4WD or AWD transmissions. As I understand it, it does make the drivetrain slightly longer than the older kit that requires you to change the main shaft in the transmission, but shorter than the ZF adapter which I believe uses the 4R70W tail shaft housing. It also has provisions for mounting the T-shift.

ren71

subscribing, I have two 4r70w AWD transmissions I've been meaning to put in.

OP
OP
No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Sorry. Due to the lack of directions I put one of the seals in too early and had to take it out which of course tore up the seal, so now I'm waiting for a replacement.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sorry. Due to the lack of directions I put one of the seals in too early and had to take it out which of course tore up the seal, so now I'm waiting for a replacement.

There is nothing on AA's website that you can download to help?
I have used their Tech line once or twice... With success. Maybe call them and ask if they have a PDF file they can send you?

DanHall

Loc.
Pueblo, CO
Timely, so please take lots of pics. I have a 5.0 '98 Mountaineer sitting behind the house just waiting for me to pull the engine and tranny for transplant into the Bronco. I'll get started this weekend but I'm still way behind you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Dirtdonk please comment... I think WH still sells all three AA kits. Doug

Uh uh... Nope, not going to touch this one. Every time I think I know what A/A is up to, I'm off by a half-page.

But as far as the kits, yes we do have the shaft kit as well but I see that it doesn't show up under "Adapters" unless you search "4r70w" specifically. (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=4r70w)
That should be changed by tomorrow afternoon though.

Sorry you didn't get the benefit of their instructions at least hedberg. In a bit of an snide-but-true joke, I will say that at least you got all the parts! We had a batch come through a couple of months ago that were missing the spud and a bag of hardware. I guess they got that part taken care of, but someone left out the instructions this time.
Guess I better check our inventory. Again... %)

And yes, giving them a hard time or not, we love our friends at Advance Adapters. And yes, their instructions often are a little lean, to be polite. Not that we've got that area 100% nailed yet either, but we're working on it and when Jim has time to put something together, it's usually pretty complete.

The good news is that for almost every A/A part, you can go to our website, or theirs, and download the full instructions, such as they are. Where their descriptions didn't seem to match the product, we chose not to link to the instructions until we clarified some additional things. For those parts, you can get the details from their site still.
I've noticed too though, that some of the kits seem to vary in description, so it sometimes behooves you to download more than one set of semi-related documents while you're at it. Just in case.

Good luck. Hope the install goes smoothly. It has for many of our customers and several of my own friends. Just happen to have one of those kits in my trunk as a matter of fact, for delivery this week hopefully. If we can ever time it so we're in the same part of the county at the same time!
I probably won't bother to open the box to check in his case though. He's installed at least three using this kit, so probably has it dialed.

Paul

OP
OP
No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Oh I got what they call instructions. It's a diagram of sorts. It's one page, and none of the parts are labeled. I'm not bashing on the quality at all....It seems like a really good kit. Hopefully the new seal will come tomorrow. Thank goodness the guy at NAPA went the extra mile to help me convert the metric numbers on the seal, and find me a replacement. Thanks guys.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just a head's up, AA made some machining changes to the shifter mounting boss last month. According to AA everything shipping from them is now the updated casting (same part number).

See attached files.

We have T and J type shifters for that conversion kit that include hardware for both versions of the casting.

------Available from Wild Horses--------

Jon

Attachments

• TSB 51215 JB Custom Fabrication.pdf
    300.7 KB · Views: 46
  • EB20 Guide.pdf
    299 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Well, I got my new seal from NAPA. After removing the transfer case from the transmission, remove the input gear from the back of the transmission. Just remove the snap ring, and it will slide right off. It will need to be installed on the new spud shaft. First, install the spud shaft seal in the new spud shaft bearing housing. According to AA tech line, the open end of the seal goes toward the transmission. Install the spud shaft bearing onto the spud shaft. If need to go all the way down the shaft as pictured. Then install the new assembly into the bearing housing. Per advice from someone here, (sorry I can't remember who said it.) I put the housing in the oven on 350, and the spud shaft assembly in the freezer for about 15 minutes. The parts fell right together without any force at all. Then there is a snap ring that goes inside the bearing housing to hold it all together.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1661.jpg
    IMG_1661.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1660.jpg
    IMG_1660.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 130

u10072

Bronco Guru
So do these kits make the rear shaft longer or not? Shortening the rest EB shaft by very much especially with much lift is a driveshaft killer. I would have no problem putting a used 4r70w in something by not changing the internals - but I'm very much guessing there's a catch

u10072

Bronco Guru
While redesigning the bracket they should have made the adapter a thru bolt design like the factory unit. The factory is perfect in every way -- I'm just surprised they changed it. So since the rear shaft is 1 1/2" shorter is anyone lowered the rear trans mount to aid angles? I guess when I'm in the 4R70W phase I'll worry about the angles and cycling everything.

OP
OP
No1hedberg

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
Sorry for the delay. Once you have the completed spud shaft assembly, I applied grease to the inside of the output shaft and reinstalled the needle bearings. There are 13 in total. The grease will hold them in place while you insert the spud shaft assembly. Don't force the two pieces together. If it won't go together, inspect the output shaft and make sure none of the needle bearings fell out. Once the spud shaft assembly is is place, I coated one end of the supplied studs with loctite, and threaded them into the case housing. Then I put a thin bead of silicone on the gasket surface, followed by the gasket, then another thin bead of silicone, then the clocking ring. Then I used large washer and the included nuts to snug the whole assembly to allow the silicone, and loctite to set up. I hope this makes things a little clearer. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1670.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg