• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me plan my build order...Build Thread!

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Well, Ive been in the process of moving to my new house. That is finally over! Im ready to start building a bronco I bought a few months ago.

Ill take some pictures along the way and be looking for advice. My goal is to have a well built mall crawler for some summer fun with the kids. I built a Cobra kit car and I think this will be similar. My thought process on building this up. I have a 67 frame with fiberglass body. Currently runs and kind of drives. I am going fuel injection with a 4r70w.

My build plan
1. Pull body off
2. Pull motor/trans
3. Install new motor, trans, and mock up drivetrain
4. Plumb fuel tank, lines, etc
5. Suspension mods/install
6. Brakes, hydroboost mock up, power steering, etc

You guys have any suggestions on if this is a good start and working order? Would you switch anything up? Last question, how often will I need to be putting the body back on during this mockup?

Couple pics of the current rig, new house workshop (yay!!), and cobra I built. Mustang belongs to a friend. We are doing exhaust work and intake. Looking forward to the build!

suckerpunched

you'll need plenty of room in your garage, so if your looking for a place to store the other toys, I can help.

suckerpunched

On my build, we pretty much built the chassis. complete, rolling, painted, with running gear installed. then put the body on it for panel fitting. pulled it back off for cleaning and paint. put it back on.
actually we only painted the bottom side, engine compartment, dash, cowl and windshield frame. It's back on the frame permanently. will paint the rest later. would be best to paint all at once but I was needing to show some progress for self motivational purposes.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know you just wanted to show off your garage Haaa that is pretty cool

Toddpole

Contributor
WOW! Can I come over and play? Or even live in your shop? Very nice. AC Cobra is my all time favorite, if I could have any car in the world, vehicle. I can't wait to see what you do to your Bronco.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Consider the fact that when building your Bronco your plans will most likely change many times along the way.
Sorry, couldn't help but add just a "few".;D
Looks like you got a great start. Good luck with the build and post lots of pics.

My build plan
1. Pull body off
2. Pull motor,trans, axles, suspension, blast and paint frame, teardown axles, blast and paint axles, rebuild axles.
7. Install new wiring harness, interior etc..

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Consider the fact that when building your Bronco your plans will most likely change many times along the way.
Sorry, couldn't help but add just a "few".;D
Looks like you got a great start. Good luck with the build and post lots of pics.

My build plan
1. Pull body off
2. Pull motor,trans, axles, suspension, blast and paint frame, teardown axles, blast and paint axles, rebuild axles.
7. Install new wiring harness, interior etc..

Thanks for the tips. I hope to get it dragged over to the new place this afternoon. I have a replacement harness ready to go that will integrate the chassis and efi. I need to do some more research on power disk brake setups and axles.

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I got the Bronco over at the new house last night. Took me about 10 minutes to start tearing into it. I hope to have the body off in the next few days. Looks like this Kentrol tub comes off as one piece from the radiator support back? Correct me if Im wrong. Looks like I will need to drop the column, unbolt the pedal box, and master cylinder and then it should come off.

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
This is where i will be starting from. Got it all stripped down and frame ready to go to powdercoat. I'll be installing the front and rear disk brakes this week and then move on to the suspension. Ordered new hubs, wheel bearings, seals, etc while doing the brakes. First time, so if you have any tips Ill take them. Im going to stick with the Dana 30 for now as I don't plan to do much wheeling.

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Got a decent amount done over the last few weeks.

Frame powdercoated
disk brakes installed
suspension is done
wheels/tire on
engine is mocked in, AA Adapter installed for 4r70W

next order of business is changing the front motor dress to explorer, running the brake lines, and modifying the crossmember for the 4r70w. I also think I need some longer wheel studs for the rear. Overall, going well.

sburks737

Cheese and Rice that's fast!!! its taken me 2 months to get everything stripped down and the rear end put back together. Good on you man!

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Got a little more work done over the weekend. Doesn't look like a lot but it definitely took some time.

Got the AA adapter bolted up to the 4r70w complete with gaskets. Crossmember as you guys know is now off.

Crossmember got welded up and should be back from the coater this week.

While welding the crossmember we welded the brake brackets on the axles and frame so I can run my flex lines up to hard line.

Headers came in from BC Broncos. I am running gt40p heads so I needed these. Ordered them in bare steel and had them ceramic coated locally. Turned out great.

Started to install my Explorer serp setup I got from sandman. Great piece if you guys need one. Drivers side bolted right up. The passenger side is hitting the cross bar on the frame. I am pretty confident that once i removed the 2x4 and install the trans crossmember it will tilt it back and give me the 1/2" I need. Worst case I ordered some aluminum spacers to raise the motor a 1/2".

This week I hope to get the flex lines for brakes ran to hard line and up onto the frame rail. Install the steering stabilizer. Install crossmember. At that point I hope my gas tank will arrive and I can plumb the fuel system. Overall still trucking forward. The front end is definetly leaning to one side so I am researching how to shim the king pins and what my options are. I still don't know if I should rebuild them. Any suggestions overall let me know!
Nick

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
Got my crossmember rewelded for the 4r. Little bit of work but I'm happy with it. Also, once I got installed I was able to tip the motor back and had clearance for the serp setup.

Moving on

OP
OP
N

Nickm1024cobra

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
got my fuel tanked mounted from WH. Not thrilled with where the lines exit, but it is a nice piece.

Fuel lines and brake lines all ran

Drilled and tapped a few grounding studs as I will be running a fiberglass body and need all the grounds I can get.

Motor is all ready to go and exhaust installed. Used a bronco hut kit and the fit is ok, not great, but overall pretty happy.

Got the power steering box bolted on. Went with the quick ratio WH box.

Also put on the Twin Sticks for the T case.

And finally I was at a point where I really need the body on to start wiring and mocking up the throttle, pedal box, master cylinder, etc. I bolted the cage in so that I am now able to comfortably lift the body on/off. Tomorrow I plan to raise the body back off for the final time and bedline/undercoat the firewall, underside, and inner fender wells. Still making some progress. Cheers.