• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost

vfdbuddy

Let me first apologize for another Hydroboost thread, but i'm getting ready to tackle this and I have a few questions

It looks like from reading the threads if I mount the HB directly to the firewall either angled or straight I will have to cut, thread and lengthen the rod. Correct? My HB is out of an astrovan and has an angled plate. Will I have to remove angled plate? I would prefer to mount it straight off the firewall with a Mounting plate. Any recommendations? Do you think it would be easier to purchase an angled bracket from e bay and mount it that way? If I go with the Ebay bracket is there any cutting and threading needed?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I sold you the Astro booster with the longer push rod. This is the correct length to bolt right up to the EB brake pedal without cutting and threading.

Remove the Astro angled bracket and build or buy a flat mounting bracket that will bolt to the factory holes in the firewall.

This is what I did

navalbronco66

While on the subject anyone know what GPM a power steering pump should be rated at for hydroboost?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I sold you the Astro booster with the longer push rod. This is the correct length to bolt right up to the EB brake pedal without cutting and threading.

Remove the Astro angled bracket and build or buy a flat mounting bracket that will bolt to the factory holes in the firewall.

This is what I did

Interesting - I've never seen one of the Astro boosters with a long pushrod like that.

Todd Z.

OsideDave

I just received LoCoFoMoCo Racing's firewall plate, hydrobooster to master cylinder spacer and nut wrench. Great for items the price. They sent me a 1/2" master cylinder spacer plate for my Super Duty Hydrobooster. Looks like the Astro uses the thinner spacer.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Interesting - I've never seen one of the Astro boosters with a long pushrod like that.

Todd Z.

The angled bracket Astro booster's push rod is at least 1.5" longer.

Bolted straight to the firewall, it puts the EB brake pedal nearly dead level with the clutch pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_7043.jpg
    IMG_7043.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7044.jpg
    IMG_7044.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 70

old 71

While on the subject anyone know what GPM a power steering pump should be rated at for hydroboost?

I've heard that hydroboost units don't like anything above 2.6 GPM ,any more GPM's and the brakes become twitchy .

C Saporito

I've heard that hydroboost units don't like anything above 2.6 GPM ,any more GPM's and the brakes become twitchy .

Pretty sure the flow bypasses once the pressure is met, the problem you are talking about could be from using a Tee on the low pressure return side for both returns with a high press/volume pump.