• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What's the best bump stop?

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I searched this topic and threads are limited to say the least--even searched bumpstop (one word).

My EB mainly sees the sand at Silver Lake Sand Dunes.

I'm in the process of a frame-off project. I'm just about done with the suspension upgrades (Duff Monster 3.5 with 4-link rear + WH trac bar riser bracket + 2" BL + Antirock rear sway bar). The Duff kit came with new rear bump stops that bolt to the frame similar to the OEM ones. The frame is going to be blasted and powdercoated after I'm done. My goal is to get everything on the frame before getting it blasted and coated.

I am looking for hydraulic or air bump stops that I can install now on the front and rear. A system that will allow me to use full suspension articulation at speed and not hit too hard.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Air bumps are what you want. Fox or King comes to mind. Now 2" or 4" bumps, that should be the question.

What kind of shocks are you planning to use?

Vcyota92

I agree air bumps from fox or king would be the best setup. As far as 2 or 4" stroke, it depends on how much up travel you have at ride height. You don't want to be sitting on or using the bumps right off the bat. My guess would be going with a 2-3" stroke would be the best. You can adjust that by changing out the spacer on the inside of the bump. I should say that only works when you start out with a 4" stroke bump. If you don't have much room to mount them the smaller stroke versions would be the way to go

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Funny how they're mostly oil with some Nitrogen inside yet everyone calls them "air bumps". I guess "hydro bumps" was too complicated to say.

You also don't want them to be the final limiter of suspension travel. That is to say that they do not replace a traditional bump-stop.

AND if you're thinking of going with by-pass dampers you don't really need them since the last portion of a by-pass' compression travel acts the same way.

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The feedback is very much appreciated.

ntsqd: I truly was thinking of replacing the stock bump stops with these--putting them in the stock location. I have not really studied it but I don't think there's a lot of room in other places.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
It would be OK to put them in the place of the stock bumps, they just shouldn't be what the chassis rests on if the springs are removed. I dimly recall that some claim that they can be used as the final stop, but it is not a good plan.

There is no reason that the hard stops can't be coaxial to the springs ala XJ Cherokees. May need some added structure to the spring mounts, but it's workable.

Then again, if you're launching that thing you may want to revisit using by-pass dampers as that's the sort of thing they excel at.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I don't know if the Fox bumpstops I installed back around 2000 are the "Best bumpstop" out there but wow, compared to any poly or rubber bumpstop...well, it's an apples and oranges comparison...you just can't compare them.

I had a local buddy finally install a set as he loves to fly off of jumps and he said I should have harassed him more than I did the past 10+ years...he wish he would have known what a game changer they really are...

I run them at 200psi, checked them once in 15 years and they are holding perfect pressure.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I used to run 2.5 dia coilovers and 4in hyd bumps. Had them as final stop but rarely bottomed them out. They are a must if only using a single coilover and driving hard. Current set up is a coil over and 3in dia 5 tube bypass. No more more need for hyd bumps per king. But from experience I can't express enough how much bypass shock help. There is no comparison. For dunes and high speed stuff I recommend you consider them.

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I swear every single thing I think about with my EB turns into something else. I want some HP and that turns into an Atlas and 35 splines in the rear. Now I just want something simple like bumpstops and I'm looking for 5 tube bypass shocks. Lol

I was planning on running two 70/30 shocks on each corner up front that came with the Monster 3.5" kit mainly due to money. I've spent some cash on this thing this winter.

68ford: I'd be interested in what shocks you run.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I swear every single thing I think about with my EB turns into something else. I want some HP and that turns into an Atlas and 35 splines in the rear. Now I just want something simple like bumpstops and I'm looking for 5 tube bypass shocks. Lol

I was planning on running two 70/30 shocks on each corner up front that came with the Monster 3.5" kit mainly due to money. I've spent some cash on this thing this winter.

68ford: I'd be interested in what shocks you run.

Rear is 16in travel 3in diameter 3 tube bypass with deaver springs for a ranger(about a foot longer) and extra lo g shackle.
Front 14in travel 2.5 diameter coil over and a
14in travel 3in diameter 5 tube bypass.
All shocks are king race series.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I run Kings in my racer. King 3 tube bypass up front with 2.5" smooth bodies on the rear. Before spending money on air bumps, spend money on shocks. 70/30 shocks wouldn't even work as a boat anchor- they're cheap but why waste your money. They'd be ok for a street rig but that's about it.

If you have the money invest in both but do shocks first!

OP
OP
5001craig

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rear is 16in travel 3in diameter 3 tube bypass with deaver springs for a ranger(about a foot longer) and extra lo g shackle.
Front 14in travel 2.5 diameter coil over and a
14in travel 3in diameter 5 tube bypass.
All shocks are king race series.
Thank-you!

I run Kings in my racer. King 3 tube bypass up front with 2.5" smooth bodies on the rear. Before spending money on air bumps, spend money on shocks. 70/30 shocks wouldn't even work as a boat anchor- they're cheap but why waste your money. They'd be ok for a street rig but that's about it.

If you have the money invest in both but do shocks first!
This is exactly what I was coming around to.

68ford

Bronco Guru
I have ran several set ups in the rear, 1 with wild horses springs and smooth bodies, 2 same springs but double bypass and 3 my current set up. On thing I can say is bypass shocks make a huge difference with leaf springs, I highly recommend spending the difference of smooth Vista to at least double bypass.