• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fender Flares Or No?

JYD

Have a re-build in progress currently on my '76. I'm probably a month or so away from my paint job being done.

Anyway, a few months ago I bought 2 of the pre-cut/molded quarter panels at $700 each from Build-A-Bronco to avoid having fender flares because I didn't really want them on my rig. I'm planning on putting some full offset 15 x 10s on it with some 12.5 or 13.5 wide tires.

Now I'm just wondering how much my paint is going to get chipped up if I don't add fender flares. Obviously I wasted a lot of money if I do add the them, but I don't want my new paint job getting ate up either. I'm going to have 4 1/2" of lift if that will make any difference at all.

Just wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on this...

Thanks

Bferrari

I did the grafts on mine but decided to go with a narrower tire. I am running 285/75r17's. Here is a concept pic, tub is on rotisserie with tire placed under it, it is not on the chassis, but can give you an idea of the aesthetic.

image.jpg

OP
OP
JYD

JYD

I did the grafts on mine but decided to go with a narrower tire. I am running 285/75r17's. Here is a concept pic, tub is on rotisserie with tire placed under it, it is not on the chassis, but can give you an idea of the aesthetic.

View attachment 397195

very sharp. really reinforces me not wanting the flares. I still want the wide tires too tho. :-[

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Bferrari,

You buy those grafted rears or do them yourself?

That's the project I'm starting next month. I'm hoping to run Mastercraft Courser MXT Mud Terrain 285/70R17 mounted on Method NV (matte black) rims 17X8.5's with 4.75 backspacing.

The grafted rears were being sold by the "graveyard" but no longer. I did find I could order a set from "BAB" and am considering that vs. trying to make my own.

Tim

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Hey Tim, you've been working to hard on your Bronco lately. His post said he bought them from Build-a-Bronco for $700 each, just in case you were wondering and wanted to know. Just kidding you..

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Hey Tim, you've been working to hard on your Bronco lately. His post said he bought them from Build-a-Bronco for $700 each, just in case you were wondering and wanted to know. Just kidding you..

Very true I have been working way too hard as of late. I was curious if the ones pictured in Bferrari post were in deed the ones form BAB. Worried about fitment with the wheel tire combo I want to run. Hate to buy them and them not fit after dropping $1400 for the rears and god knows how much for the wheels and tires.

I haven't decided if I'm going to build/make my own or buy them from BAB.

Either way, I'm going back to a stock front finder as my fronts are cur and have a 100 holes in them from several different sets of flares. Every fiberglass flare I've ever had on anything cracked.

Tim

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
BFerrari did those himself. If you go into his build thread, you can see how he did it. His have turned out flawless!

Bferrari

Bferrari,

You buy those grafted rears or do them yourself?

That's the project I'm starting next month. I'm hoping to run Mastercraft Courser MXT Mud Terrain 285/70R17 mounted on Method NV (matte black) rims 17X8.5's with 4.75 backspacing.

The grafted rears were being sold by the "graveyard" but no longer. I did find I could order a set from "BAB" and am considering that vs. trying to make my own.

Tim

Hi Tim, did mine myself. There are many ways to skin a cat but you can see what I did on my build thread, go to post 101.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234723&page=7

I am going with a 17x8.5 rim with 4.5 backspace and am squeaking by making it work. I am running duff arms and have relocated the shock mount to the top of the arm.
Ben

Bferrari

so how much chipping will there be without them? i really don't want the flares, but i don't want narrower tires either.

In due time you will probably end up with some degree of chipping either way. To the degree on how quick and how many you get is really dependent on how you use it, where you drive it, the tire you go with, etc. If you do a molded flare and paint them you run the same risk. As for a wider tire, I don't know if makes a huge difference. My tires will still stick out from the fender edge so I run the same risk. I chose to go a bit narrower in hopes to keep as much turning radius as possible given the backspace I am running on my rims. In my opinion, build what you want and worry about chips as they come. A good coat of wax helps tremendously but touching up a couple chips isn't the end of the world either! Enjoy it and make it yours!

OP
OP
JYD

JYD

In due time you will probably end up with some degree of chipping either way. To the degree on how quick and how many you get is really dependent on how you use it, where you drive it, the tire you go with, etc. If you do a molded flare and paint them you run the same risk. As for a wider tire, I don't know if makes a huge difference. My tires will still stick out from the fender edge so I run the same risk. I chose to go a bit narrower in hopes to keep as much turning radius as possible given the backspace I am running on my rims. In my opinion, build what you want and worry about chips as they come. A good coat of wax helps tremendously but touching up a couple chips isn't the end of the world either! Enjoy it and make it yours!

Sounds like great advice. Thanks!