• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom's Bronco Headliner Install

SamD

The stainless headliner bow arrived a few days ago and I am about to install the new headliner finally. I had always assumed the bow would attach to the sides of the top, then the screws that go the length of the bow, would screw to the roof brace. When I was rough fitting the headliner yesterday, it doesn't look like the seam between the front and back pieces of the headliner line up with the roof brace. What does the headliner bow attach to?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
The screws go into the roof brace. Make sure they are not too long or they can bow the top or run thru the skin.

The headliner support bow should fit right on the seam between the two sections. You can see in the picture below where it should be relative to the top braces on the sides.
6daab8361e62a065f7f16ac34586d7ba.jpg

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

Thank you! It installed exactly as you said. There must've been a problem with my first measurements because it didn't look like the two halves of the liner were going to meet at the roof support bow.

Thanks again

Sam

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Oouu la la! That's fancy and I like it. What material is the headliner made out of?

Thanks and Happy Monday!

Chris

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Hi Guys,

Oouu la la! That's fancy and I like it. What material is the headliner made out of?

Thanks and Happy Monday!

Chris

Mine is the standard Dennis Carpenter fiberboard headliner. As far as I know, they are the only manufacturer of original reproductions. They do not come with the vinyl binding on the edge. I took mine to an upholstery shop and had them stitch it on there....

These are a pain to install by yourself. I was all twisted up under that thing....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yes get a couple extra sets of hands if you can.;)

OP
OP
SamD

SamD

The headliner I purchased from Tom's is made out of what looks like heavy cardboard that has a thin textured vinyl cover on the inside face. It comes rolled up in a box. The headliner is in two pieces and has edges that are scored but need to be carefully bent. Given the material and the risk from bending the edges, I was expecting a disaster during install. Doing the install alone was difficult, but surprisingly it turned out great.

I don't know if it really helped that much, but in an attempt to avoid breaking the cardboard while bending the edges, I wet the backside of the seam slightly.

Good luck!

Sam