• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High steer on my Bronco?

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
Maybe I should have done some research, but I bought Reid Racing knuckles and high steer kit for my Bronco. I went to install it and unless I'm an idiot, which is entirely possible, it won't work on a Bronco. There is too much in the way. I have front shocks on end caps that are clearly in the way and the track bar. Am I correct? I could include pictures, but then I would look really dumb for not realizing it sooner.

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
Nothing is a bolt on when it comes to stuff like that. been a long time since i played with that. you might try looking at moving the track bar up. just a thought

OP
OP
C

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
I might use one of the arms to come from the steering box to the knuckle then use the regular holes that are in the knuckles to connect the two. No wonder I couldn't find any pictures of this. On a Chevy they used leaf springs... What do they say? If it bolts right up, you ain't working on a Bronco.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Prolly need a stock, ie flat pitman arm, stock upper position for the track bar, a track bar riser on the axle.

Then remove shocks in front of the coils. Don't need them, but you could mount them behind the coil.

That may provide the room you need. You could at least mock it up that way,

OP
OP
C

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
I think I might return the high steer kit and go with a regular set up. I've done too much already to turn around now. Holes drilled, stuff welded, time and money invested, etc...

Deano

Bronco Guru
I put tierods on top and had to use a riser on the axel and couldn't run shocks in front of the coil but I have 7.5" of lift in the front

Deano

Bronco Guru
6fc70ae0b7a4371cfb0de44bb31d6125.jpg

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And that's why most just run TRO rather than high-steer. If I'm not mistaken, the REID Ford D44 knuckles are based on the 1976-1979 F150/BB knuckles with respect to the steering arms, so they're not quite as high as the '76-'77 EB, but higher than the EB drum brake steering arms.

Are you also trying to fit ram-assist into the equation?...because that can make things even more interesting.

OP
OP
C

Capt.junk&crap

Loc.
Bristol
Yes, I am putting ram assist on. That is the one of the reasons I went with high steer was to make the ram assist easier. Still mulling things over. I welded in a drop track bar bracket and the tabs on the radius arm caps. I know I could go with a single shock, but I got the kit from Duff's to sort of keep the suspension easy and tried and true. I set an ambitious goal of having this thing done by late Spring, so I chose to complicate things elsewhere, like the steering.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would ditch the front shocks and go with one quality shock per wheel. It may not be the "tried and true" you were thinking, but there are a lot of guys here who have been running 1 shock for 1 tire for decades with great results. You're trying to cram a lot of stuff into the same space, so the less stuff the better IMO.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Real HI steer (top of knuckle) on a Bronco is generally reserved for those who are running full hydro steering. The geometry just doesn't work with a steering box. TRO with a riser is probably the way you want to go.

Jim