• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drill door pillar for loom

KeithKinPhx

I would like to install these in my 68.

http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/ca...MBL/12-Inch-Stainless-Steel-Door-Loom-(1-Pair)

To do would require a 1/2" hole to be drilled straight thru my door pillars. Both sides. The wires would enter from the inner fender areas, pass thru the pillar and into the doors.

Has anyone seen this before? My sheet metal is solid and I would center the hole between the door hinges.

Any major issues? Should I reinforce the area by tach welding a washer around the new holes?

Yes I know it is crazy but I want a clean from the inside the tub way to get wires to my doors. I am installing nu-relics power windows and power door locks. May do the fiberglass door speaker insert from Bronco Hut as well.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 144

o2bnmud

If you install the loom high in the door jam (and have the sliding part go into the door), the wires will come in behind the dash and never be in the inner fender areas. I have done this to several broncos (with wires not the loom), and it's worked great for many years.

Tony

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Tony do you have any pictures?

It is almost a tragic comedy of how many pictures there are of Bronco doors there are on the web but almost nothing showing how they did their the wiring loom.

KBUCK1

Go wireless

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180224-200908.jpg
    Screenshot_20180224-200908.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Contacts have pros and cons.

Pros =
Clean install
Can easily remove doors

Cons =
No tunes as mentioned.
Need near perfect alignment of door to frame and between holes at install

I thought the loom would be more forgiving and looks cool. Just worried about structural integrity.

Kbuck your engine bay is amazing. Any close up pictures of your door jam? I want to get this right.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Subscribed. Please post your pictures and where you got your PW and PL from.
You might run the speaker wires through the limit strap as others have done, then make in line disconnects so doors are still removable.
Look forward to seeing the install.
Forrest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KBUCK1

I don't have any speakers in my doors. So no wiring.
Like mentioned above, I believe they make the door limit straps that are made to hide the wiring. That would be pretty clean

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Started another thread asking for pictures of the often mentioned but never posted wire loom door strap.

Another option is the kick panel speakers and only power door locks and power windows in the door. If I did that then the contacts system would work. Still would need to cut the pillar though.

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

In another thread someone showed their strap set up and I think I will pass on that option.

Decided to follow KBuck suggestion and do the modular door jam but with some changes. First is I am scrapping any speakers in the door. If I decide to go doorless then you lose your tunes. I will get the kick panel speaker mounts instead. Always there and less wires to connect or loom. That leaves me with the power windows and door locks which only needs 5 or 6 wires as I am mounting the switches on the console between the seats. I will post an update, pictures and a YouTube video when done.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Good choices. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk