• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another front end question

txhawkeye

I am having trouble finding the seal or bearing that goes in the end of the axle housing. It has been a while since I disassembled it and don’t know what was there. I thought I had a Dana 44 but am questioning that now. I bought a axle slinger thinking that is what I needed but it is not hopefully these pics will help.
077e396ad2fc1ad952e771b179a37e99.jpg
82bf4f52b34790a6c8450c117bf35d30.jpg

The second pic is where I would think the seal or bearing would go but I can’t find the part for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
There would be nothing going there. The axle will go in with a flange on it that kind of covers that hole. The seal is inside the tube near the carrier. Ken

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

I must be going crazy. Thank you for the reply I thought there had to be something there to keep the axle shaft centered. I have been going crazy for a day and a half and just spent 75 dollars to ship those axle slingers that I didn’t need. I am trying to get the chassis to the painter so they can fit the body on the chassis one last time before they paint it. I am trying to rush I guess that is what I get. Thanks again!

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I’m in the middle of doing just that, see http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3089354#post3089354 . No seal in that second pic. Kenn is right the seal sits behind the carrier of which you will need to remove. You shouldn’t knock anything out of whack when you remove the carrier. Although from what I have seen on YouTube it can be a bear to pull out from its cradle. Once you replace the seals just throw the carrier back in and put the carrier bearing brackets/ straps back on the same way you took them off. I do not know what lb torque to use or if there are steps to torque those four bolts down but I’m sure a guru will chime in and give us those details.

Last edited:

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
No guru, Goo Goo Cluster maybe. I just did this and found 60 lb on carrier bolts.
Google limited warranty.

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

60 lbs should be the right torque this is what I used to come to that number
ff6b498e93e456050c7e070fbf47379b.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a sweet looking front end you got there tx. Is that powder coating, or something like Por-15?

And yes, you have a Dana 44.
The axle shafts float somewhat, and a seal would not last very long anyway, if it was what was used to hold the shaft steady way out there at the end. Some fronts did/do come with a seal in the outer end, but the EB 44's never had one. It's a part we've been hoping to find for decades though, with very little luck.
The good news as it turns out though, is that they're just not needed for our setups to live a long and healthy life.
And as clean as yours is, any gunk that does get in there will clean out pretty good. And if you're going to drive it like most people these days (on the street in other words) then gunk getting in there is not half the trouble it used to be.

If your new slingers will fit the inner shaft flange, use them. The axles move in and out slightly during normal use, and a slinger in that position will drastically reduce the amount of junk that finds it's way inside.
There is also a slinger on most factory shafts, on the outer/stub shaft that also keeps junk away from the back of the spindle.

How's the overall build going?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One of our regular members (can't remember who at the moment) has in his signature line a quote that's a classic, and applies to what you're doing.
Goes something like this:

"You can tie a string to a cat and pull it through an axle tube like a bore brush!";D

Or something to that effect.
Been wanting to quote that ever since you posted up your question about cleaning the tube. Could not find the exact quote, but just couldn't wait any longer!

Paul

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

That's a sweet looking front end you got there tx. Is that powder coating, or something like Por-15?

And yes, you have a Dana 44.
The axle shafts float somewhat, and a seal would not last very long anyway, if it was what was used to hold the shaft steady way out there at the end. Some fronts did/do come with a seal in the outer end, but the EB 44's never had one. It's a part we've been hoping to find for decades though, with very little luck.
The good news as it turns out though, is that they're just not needed for our setups to live a long and healthy life.
And as clean as yours is, any gunk that does get in there will clean out pretty good. And if you're going to drive it like most people these days (on the street in other words) then gunk getting in there is not half the trouble it used to be.

If your new slingers will fit the inner shaft flange, use them. The axles move in and out slightly during normal use, and a slinger in that position will drastically reduce the amount of junk that finds it's way inside.
There is also a slinger on most factory shafts, on the outer/stub shaft that also keeps junk away from the back of the spindle.

How's the overall build going?

Paul

The build is going good but slow and I am finding out how much I don’t know, but I enjoy the learning process. I had the housings powder coated pretty happy with the way it turned out. I have been meaning to do a build thread but have not done that yet. Here’s is s pic of the rear of the chassis. Thank you for your response.
ad601ecb52e5a3c54abf428954d33f08.jpg
47e5e510e40749caaafe3db68ba0a2c5.jpg