• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Separating Dana 44 Hub Rotor Assembly?

BroncoDad

Loc.
Michigan
We are in the process of switching the knuckles out on a Dana 44 for a disc brake swap on my sons Bronco. The hub rotor assembly is in terrible shape - waaaaay rusty. I think that we are just gonna go ahead and put new rotors on, but I can't figure out for sure how to get the old rotors off the hub. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the dust shields need to be replaced - or do they? Does anybody run without the dust shields, or is it better to have them on? Where is a good place to get new shields? I found them at one place, but they were something like $48!!! Thanks in advance,

BroncoDad

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Just pound the studs out and press the studs back in on the new rotor. If you don't have a press, I would recommend taking it to a shop to get that done. You can make it without dust shields, I wouldn't even bother with them if they are messed up.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If I remember right you tap out the wheel studs then beat them apart. If you go for the new dust shields make surre they are both the correct part. When I got mine from JBG the one they said was driver side was a pass side re-drilled and it ffir like crap. I checked around and nobody had the other one available. This was about a year ago.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
For the money and effort go to Autozone and buy the hub and rotor assy at 36.00 each why bother saving a rusty hub and you will have new studs in there. NO rust. If you change the rotor on your hubs you will have to have them turned, by the time your through you have old hub old hammered studs new rotor and half the life machined off of it and paid some one to remove it for you. to save what maybe $10.00. Doesnt sound like a bargain to me. Dust shield is up to you it wouldn't hold me up from putting it back together. I would look for a good used one and if found install it on the next bearing pack or brake job.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=rusty truck link=board=5;threadid=17166;start=0#msg130937 date=1052252928]
For the money and effort go to Autozone and buy the hub and rotor assy at 36.00 each why bother saving a rusty hub and you will have new studs in there. NO rust. If you change the rotor on your hubs you will have to have them turned, by the time your through you have old hub old hammered studs new rotor and half the life machined off of it and paid some one to remove it for you. to save what maybe $10.00. Doesnt sound like a bargain to me. Dust shield is up to you it wouldn't hold me up from putting it back together. I would look for a good used one and if found install it on the next bearing pack or brake job.
[/quote]

I second this. Dont mess around with it. I paid $32.00 each for my autozone rotors/hubs and you get a brand new AIMCO rotor, hub, wheel studs and bearing races.

part No. 5492

application 1976-1979 Ford Bronco 4WD

mike9624

I agree with rusty truck. I went with the ones from autozone and they work great.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=mike9624 link=board=5;threadid=17166;start=0#msg130941 date=1052253889]
I agree with rusty truck. I went with the ones from autozone and they work great.
[/quote]

Ditto

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Call one of the bronco shops. I contacted Mike at completeoffroad and basically purchased everything from the knuckles out... bearings, seals and all. Very reasonable price.

66horse

Bronco Guru
Autozone route, its not worth the llabor and i bet that just the rotors aremore expensive. Seems wierd but if i remember right, that is the case.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
looks like you are going to the autorama for parts ... ;) that's what I did and when you're ready for re-assembly , throw the dust shields away . I haven't seen my dust shields for 10 yearsand I don't miss them ;D

desertbug

Loc.
Fallon, NV
Just for laughs, :D NAPA's hub/rotor # is UTS4886297. $33.49/ea.

I still like AutoZone and Kragen (Military discount 10%).

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
[quote author=desertbug link=board=5;threadid=17166;start=0#msg131463 date=1052367270]
Just for laughs, :D NAPA's hub/rotor # is UTS4886297. $33.49/ea.

I still like AutoZone and Kragen (Military discount 10%).
[/quote]

I get a military discount at both NAPA and Checker here in ND.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
The only thing I will ever buy from Autozone are the hub/rotors, and nothing else. I bought loaded calipers from them and they were kinda sucky. Beside, it took a frappin week and a half to get my hub/rotos assys and the guy in there was a real a-hole.
My local napa is great, more quality parts..

But yeah, definately get the hub/rotors from Autozone