• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top Selection W/Rollbar

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I want to get a soft top for my EB. I am trying to decide between the STC and the Bestop. I think that the STC looks a little better, but both look real good.

My problem is that my rollcage is pretty high in the front of the truck (see pictures). I am not sure if the STC will clear the cage or the Bestop. I know that the stock roof clears but not by much. I probably should have cut down the front hoop when I installed it. My other option would be to restore the original hardtop and put it on, but I would really like a soft top instead. I dont drive it in the winter, so a soft top would work out great for me. It just isn't pratical to run just a bikini or open top in Wisconsin.

Does anyone have an opinion on which top or both will clear the rollbar?

Attachments

• BR52.JPG
    BR52.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 168
  • BR55.JPG
    BR55.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 218

dan12580

start selling blood :D and go check out the can back tops from bc broncos. 3 more gallons and ill have one. :'(

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
I am not sure that I am thrilled with the look of the can back. Also do not want to spend that kind of money on it. Thanks for the idea, but even if I did I am sure that my wife would kill me. Any other opinions.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
If it fits with a hardtop then either of the softies will work. The higher center hoop wont hurt you and may help with drainage. I like my STC. I have seen the besttop on a firends ride and it is also nice and great quality. I personally think the STC has/would have better visibility and can take on more/different configurations. I already had a bikini from them, so everything swaps over...sometimes I'll carry both. Zip out tinted windows and quick up and down...and you dont have to run it with window frames, especially if you dont run windows...can even run highway that way without too much noise. Good luck with your choice.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
Even looking at your pics-- It looks like a soft top will fit at the windshield area. The STC top is what I use. Seems to seal better around the doors and is a clean fit at the tail gate also. Being able to unzip and remove the windows (sides and back) creates the full canback look.

Jeepincj7

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, CA
I have the STC, and my cage is just as high as yours. It will fit with the STC or the Bestop. Perosnally, I like the quality of the Bestop better than the STC. Being a Jeep guy in a former life, the Bestop is the better unit IMHO, and they build a quality setup. Get it with zip out windows and you'll be good to go.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you go with the STC...Looks to me like you may be a little high with the front part of the cage. The riser (mounting bracket) that bolts to the windshield rises up about 2" above the top of the windsheild frame. My roll cage front bar sits about 1" above the windsheild frame itself, making the roll cage about 1"- 1 1/2" below my softop.
At the riser....the top comes directly backward from it a little, then kinda angles upward very slightly, until you get to about the middle of the drivers door then it goes up to the top bow which is pretty high. The middle and back look like they should clear fine in the picture. Here are a few pics if that helps. I took a measurement from the pass floor board straight-up pastmy roll bar to the top where the soft top is and I got 46 5/8". I took a measurement from the step up area right in front of the rear fender well where my bar mounts to the floor... straight up vertically past the roll bar to the softtop and I get 44". (It is shorter, because of the 4" step-up behind the pass. seat) The rear top height section is about the same between the middle bow and the rear bow where I got 44" behind the rear fender well where I measured verticlly to the softop. Hope that helps. If you need any measurements or other pics just let me know.

Blue71

Attachments

• Img_0069.jpg
    Img_0069.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Img_0062.jpg
    Img_0062.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Img_0056.jpg
    Img_0056.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Img_0067.jpg
    Img_0067.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Img_0047.jpg
    Img_0047.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Img_0045.jpg
    Img_0045.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Im002391.jpg
    Im002391.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 113

yak67

Bronco Guru
I run a bestop, and it looks like it would fit with no problems because it has that riser in front, I also like the quality of it, I've run it now for almost 3 years and it is showing very little wear

Brewbro21

RCMbronc that is a very clean looking cage is it a home custum? What kind of cage? Very nice color blue about the color I'm considering.

Sorry to steal the post, but I thought I'd give credit where's credit is due. ;D

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Thanks for all the help. Thanks blue71 for the measurements, I am going to look at mine and measure it tonight to see what I have. I like the looks of both tops, but the STC looks a little nicer in my opinion. But they both look great.

The cage is a Kentrol cage. Thanks for the compliments. The blue is 98 Ford Royal Blue from the Super Duty line.

Again, thanks for all the help. Now I just have to find the right excuse to tell the wife.

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Looks to me that the STC top probably wont fit. The cage is 3 1/4" above the winshield frame and the bar from the front hoop to the rear hoop is 47" tall. Blue71 can you confirm that this probalby wont fit for me. Also, can someone with a Bestop confirm if this will fit for me?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Your chances are better of the Bestop fitting. It has a tall riser in the front that enables the wiper motor to clear without a drop bracket. I don't have measurements handy but there is a pick at the link below where you can see the front of mine.

http://broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=267731

It looks to me like it will fit fine except that the top may rest right on top of the front bar. At worst the front bar may push it up slightly. I personally like the look of the STC top better but the price was right for my Bestop ($20 in raffle tickets) and I like the extra head room it provides. It also provides access to the tailgate without unsnapping/unzipping/etc. where it is my understanding the STC doesn't. (Feel free to correct me on this if I am incorrect)

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I made sure my top was tight before I measured. I also have stock floor pans in all the Broncos I measured. Went out and did some more measuring and I still say it looks like it will hit the front bar a bit. Also will depend on your floor pan to the top of the windshield measurement (yours may differ than mine) From stock floor pan to the top of the windhield frame on 3 different Broncos..I got as follows. (Green '77 = 44 1/8")..
(Red '68 =44 3/8")...and Orange '74 = 44 9/16".(Pics below) I measured the riser that attaches to the top of the windshield frame and got 2" exactly(Pic-below) If you add the top of the frame;say my tallest..44 9/16" + 2" riser = 46 9/16".
My front bar sits 45 1/2 " from the floor pan to the top edge at its heighest point. The softop is about 1" taller than the roll bar's, front bar at the edges near the doors and about 1 1/4" taller than the roll bar in middle directly over the bar. So I figure that 46 1/2" is the tallest your front bar can be at the edges where the door meets and 46 3/4" is the tallest your roll bar can be in the middle of the Bronco to clear. Double check my math though! Check to see what kind of measurement you get from the floor pan to the top of the windshield top edge and let me know. Sorry to be throwing a wrench in the "Soft-top buy" for ya. Just want to make sure it'll fit first. I'm not saying it won't, but it might hit, or could barely slide over it depending on your measurements. Hope that helps. incidentally..I measured the hardtop in the same place above the roll cage front bar area on another Bronco and got 47 1/2 to 48" in the center.

Blue71

Attachments

• Img_0109.jpg
    Img_0109.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Img_0106.jpg
    Img_0106.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Img_0103.jpg
    Img_0103.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Img_0107.jpg
    Img_0107.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Img_0102.jpg
    Img_0102.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Img_0101.jpg
    Img_0101.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Img_0094.jpg
    Img_0094.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Img_0087.jpg
    Img_0087.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 29

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are a few pics of some others that have STC's. After you go up(riser) 2" from the top of the windshield..It goes almost straight over for 6" or so before it gradually tapers upward. Check it out and see what ya think. Hope it was O.K. with these guys to use the pics from 72Bronco, Tonto, Raliegh, and Bear1911's nice Broncos.

Blue71

Attachments

• 72 Bronco STC.jpg
    72 Bronco STC.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Bear1911 pic.jpg
    Bear1911 pic.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Tontos STC.jpg
    Tontos STC.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These last two pics below are of Ralieghs sweet Bronco. It has the Bestop. Looks like it goes up higher in the front roll bar area. anybody got some measurements on Bestop so we can compare? For that matter. Can we also geta few measurements from some more STC owners in the same spots I measured to compare too. If your bar will only slightly hit the STC..it might be good....sometimes water will slightly puddle since it is so flat there. Just a thought.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Attachments

• Raleigh's Top.jpg
    Raleigh's Top.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Raliegh 2.jpg
    Raliegh 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 29

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Blue71 said:
These last two pics are of Raliehs sweet Bronco. It has the Bestop. Looks like it goes up higher in the front roll bar area. anybody got some measurements on Bestop so we can compare? For that matter. Can we also geta few measurements from some more STC owners in the same spots I measured to compare too.

Thanks Much,
Blue71
The previous mention of 3 1/8" is right on. Measure right at the center of the windshield frame straight up and add 3 1/8" for the Bestop riser. To get an accurate measurement this way the windshield frame needs to first be adjusted into the proper location (The rig in question looks like the frame is too far back). Measure from the inside edge of the windshield frame at the top to the inside edge of the tailgate and it should measure 84". http://bestop.com/installation_guides/51532.pdf

OP
OP
rcmbronc

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Thanks everyone for the measurements. I am going to check my floor to frame measurements tonight. I am thinking that the Bestop is the one that is going to fit. If anyone has inside measurements for a Bestop I would appreciate it.

Again thanks alot for all the help.