• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie build-up

Familyman

Figured I would throw my first build-up out there for inspection. I started off with a 72 EB that had a 302, 435, D20 with 3:15 terra lows and 9" rear 44 front both with 3:50 and lockers. I have since sold both axles and completed a D60 front and 10.25 rear conversion. For the front I required the assistance of a pro for initial set-up so that should be the last $$ I spend on someone elses work. The rest is mine, good or bad. I will continue this thread by posting directly in the future Thanks FM
http://posse4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948

OP
OP
F

Familyman

I wondered if that would happen. I notice if I am not logged on it does that. I will ask our admin guy why. Thanks 2bad here are some pics. Mine ain't pretty but it might be someday. ;D

Attachments

• Cage build-up 1.jpg
    Cage build-up 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Cage build-up 3.jpg
    Cage build-up 3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Cage build-up 5.jpg
    Cage build-up 5.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Diffs 2.jpg
    Diffs 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 175
  • D60 front 2.jpg
    D60 front 2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 251
  • D60 front.jpg
    D60 front.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 10.25 rear.jpg
    10.25 rear.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 276

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great rig. Post up some pics so we can check her out. ;D

crawln68

Bronco Guru
crawln68 said:
Sounds like a great rig. Post up some pics so we can check her out. ;D

Oops! You beat me by a couple of minutes. Awesome! We love to see pics of new rigs. Look great! Keep up the good work. ;)

OP
OP
F

Familyman

Here are some pics of the cage out of my rig. It is almost complete but still needs the back tie in for the rear PRP seat. See pic. The diff covers are from Blue Torch fab works and are a kit that you weld that runs about half the price of the preassembled ones. I am still drawing ideas for the front and rear bumpers and I think I will probably tube out the front end before I build the front bumper so I can tie them together. the cage will be attahed to the frame and will have bushing assemblies between the frame and cage to decrease vibration caused by the frame. If anyone has done this before and I am sure I am not the first, tell me how it went I would appreciate the imput. Thanks.

Attachments

• Cage build-up 6.jpg
    Cage build-up 6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Fender mods 1.jpg
    Fender mods 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Diffs 1.jpg
    Diffs 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Cage build-up 7.jpg
    Cage build-up 7.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Cage build-up 8.jpg
    Cage build-up 8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
F

Familyman

This will give you an idea of how the cage looked when I started and how it progressed. These are some of the first tubes I ever bent and I made a notcher to attach to my drill press out of some spare steel. The front cage is a standard weld in front cage with one hoop, two forward pillars and a bar accross the top and 2 in the middle (did that make since) so I have added on everything from that and it is turning out better then I expected but as I am sure many of you know we are our own worst critics. Oh, the pics with the yellow ink above. That is my plan to hack out 4" of each wheel well to make the rear area larger. With full width axles I have the room and hope to gain a total of 48" so I can put a big enough seat for all my kids :eek: Yea, its a family affair. Both my kids have been wheelen since the age of 2, wish I started that early ;D . Happy New Year. FM

Attachments

• EB cage 12.jpg
    EB cage 12.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 236
  • EB cage 11.jpg
    EB cage 11.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 231
  • Cage build-up 8.jpg
    Cage build-up 8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Cage build-up 9.jpg
    Cage build-up 9.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 200

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Very Nice FM, somehow the Pic's I saw in person did not do it justice. It took being the computer screen to make some of your work come out. Look forward to seeing it on or off the road.

D.

Buckin74

Loc.
San Diego
wow -- and I thought I put alot of time and money into my 9" with dana 60 full floater outers and a reverse cut high pinion 44 up front.

You beat me ---- nice work -----

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I am jealous, I am putting mine together (HP44 & bb9) out of the rig and then swapping them with the 30 and the sb9 when I got it all done(4Wdiscs and ARB)
Great job!!!

Hipower

Loc.
South Florida
Familyman,
Real nice work. What did your axles come out of. Do you know which year trucks have the narrowest 10.25 in them. Thanks Ed

OP
OP
F

Familyman

Ed , check out http://www.drivetrainsuperstores.com/ they have alot of info you can check by make and year, otherwise "no" not sure which is the narrowest. I believe mine is a 86 out of a 2WD truck and it was 64" WMS to WMS.
Here are some pics of the wheelwell mods. Wow, I do not like welding sheetmetal :mad: not fun . Now I can stuff that 48" seat in the back for the kids.

Attachments

• 72 EB Fender mods 013-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 013-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 72 EB Fender mods 011-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 011-1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 72 EB Fender mods 007-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 007-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 72 EB Fender mods 006-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 006-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 72 EB Fender mods 005-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 005-1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 72 EB Fender mods 004-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 004-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 72 EB Fender mods 001-1.jpg
    72 EB Fender mods 001-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 88

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I like the rear cooler rack! Did you make it, buy it or what? Maybe a couple of close ups with an above view to get an idea on mounting. The build up looks stout. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
F

Familyman

I like the rear cooler rack! Did you make it, buy it or what? Maybe a couple of close ups with an above view to get an idea on mounting.
I will get you several pics. It is well built but I didn't do it.

OP
OP
F

Familyman

Here are the new fenders. I am trying to decide if I should make an access panel at the back of the shock or just weld a cover over it since I am going to Herculine it all anyway. I now have 48" between the wheel wells which is as much as a FS Bronco. Now I need to set up the cage for the rear seat.

Attachments

• New fenders.jpg
    New fenders.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 84
  • New fenders 2.jpg
    New fenders 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 86
  • New fenders 3.jpg
    New fenders 3.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 76
  • New fenders 5.jpg
    New fenders 5.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 77
  • New fenders 4.jpg
    New fenders 4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 114

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Familyman said:
I now have 48" between the wheel wells which is as much as a FS Bronco. Now I need to set up the cage for the rear seat.

Nice Job!!!

I am just curious how well do you think the tires will tuck up in the wheel wells when flexing? I am thinking of doing something like that with mine.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Here's my big dumb idea for mounting a back seat. Rather than sacrifice that precious bed space, I think I've figured out how to make it removeable too!

Basically it's a cradle. Supported by the tube from the B to the C pillar, rather than making a frame along the floor. I want to be able to remove it when I don't have my little girl as a passenger (or if she rides in the front) and we need some more gear storage.

Attachments

• My backseat mounting idea.JPG
    My backseat mounting idea.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 104