• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Start to (almost) Finish - My Restoration

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
My restoration in pictures. From start to finish it was about three months and a week. Of course there's still lots to do; build the diff's I really want (9" both ends with ARB), rewire (R.F.), and get the tires and wheels I want (anyone interested in the combo I've got?), but the bulk of the major stuff is done.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
and more...

Attachments

• 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
and more...

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
and finally...

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 111

Lagox4

Loc.
Folsom, Ca.
Almost done....

Very nice work! When do we get to see it out on the road/trail? There's lots of snow up in the Sierra's! ;)

72moore

re

That's really fast, good job nice to see another Bronco restored!!!!
What size are the tires and wheels? Just curious ;D

OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
I bought this truck about five years ago from the second owner. He'd had it about 15 years and had purchased it from a good friend who special ordered it new. It was basically stock, but cut, when I got it. Originally it was chrome yellow with a parchment interior. I added power disc brakes, an np435 tranny, installed the bucket seats, and a soft top, along with a ton of little stuff along the way. It was, and is, is my driver but...the doors were out of alignment so bad that the passenger side wouldn't even close all the way and I knew that there was some rust, I just didn't know how much, so I decided to do the body and frame restoration. I figured I could spend the same amount of money on a new car that is boring and depreciates or rebuild something that is unique and fun that is appreciating (plus it's my business vehicle: a huge tax advantage!).

O.K., here's some of the highlights:

302 with Rouch heads, Holly carb, Edelbrock intake, cam, balanced, headers, bluprinted, full custom build, true rear wheel 300hp/375ftlb.

NV3550 5 speed tranny

D20 with semi-custom twinstick

3.1:1 Power Steering

AutoMeter gauges

The body was in pretty good shape when we started, I found a little bit of rust in the front side of the door posts and under the windshield hinge. All the sheet metal is original with the exception of a new 'glass hood. The body was media blasted down to bare metal, it had been repainted, stock chrome yellow, once so there wasn't layer upon layer to deal with. The only body filler was a little bit in the drivers door, it looked like maybe a box or wheelbarrow had fallen against it. This was easy to fix from the backside with a hammer and dolly. There were a ton of holes we had to weld up, everything from filling the antenna hole in the fender and patching a 2" c.b. antenna mount in the rear quarter panel to 1/8" -1/4" holes drilled all over the place. I can only guess the previous owner like to mount stuff everywhere. I was never happy with the gas caps sticking out of the body but I was also never fond of the big billet caps either. Both the billet caps. as well as the '77 style gas filler doors still interferred with the flare. I didn't want to cut a section out of the flare. I also didn't want to lose the front tank so to go to a filler behind the taillight only solved the rear tank problem. I found some gas filler doors that were available with a 3" round spring latch door, push to open, push to close. The caps have a spring loaded center flap that allows the pump nozzle to be inserted without needing to remove the cap. These doors were aligned on the body, out of the line of the flare, and painted, so they virtually disappear. I mounted a 1974 BMW 2002tii radio antenna on the windshield frame. It looks perfectly period and it eliminated another wart I never cared for on the body.

While the body was removed, I sandblasted the frame and painted it with POR15 and a satin black topcoat. I did nothing with the differentials, they're going to be replaced anyway. I may steam clean them and hit them with a little c.b.p. (cheap black paint) to dress them up a little for now.

The body underside, inside and engine bay were all LineX'ed, the latter then painted to look more like stock. (Colored LinX isn't available in California)

The color is a pale gray/green, 1962 Volkswagen Fontana Gray. These photos don't really show the color very well. I installed all new chrome and reassembled it with all stainless hardware. It has a 2" suspension lift and a 1" body mount lift.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Oh, the wheels/tires are as follows: 15x8 Sendel & 31x10.50 Pirelli Scorpions with about 50% tread. The wheels are very similar to Eagle series 058.
http://www.eaglewheels.com/058.htm

I had to keep the project moving because I was down to either sharing our XTerra with my wife or my motorcycle and bicycle for transportation.

I hope to make it Sacto for the February 5th get-together.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I agree, very nice job. Looks awesome. So tell us what all you did to it. Man I'm really jealous of all you guys that have nice big shops to work in! :p

OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
Front and rear bumpers are both ProtoFab with the wrap-around body corner protection, POR15'ed and black industrial enamel.

HigginsHorse

Where did you get your rollcage? It looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Tell us some more about the gas filler caps. Who makes them, Where did you get them? Those are way cool Nice job!

OP
OP
P

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
The rollcage is from Wayne Hanson in Salinas, CA. I wanted a cage where the rear upper crossbar would be removeable so that when I needed to carry a fridge, or something else tall, I still could. Wayne and I worked on the design together and he built it, the guy is an artist in metal! The cross bar has fishmounth cuts with 2" deep threaded inserts welded into each end of the tube. There are a couple of 1/2 dia. cap screws countersunk into the main side tubes. This was the first one like it that he had built and he told me after it was done that this style is how he would build any future Bronco cages.

The gas fillers came from a place called Williams Street Rods. I can find the contact info for anyone who wants it. I don't think they have a website. Attached are some photos of the gas fillers in process as well as a final shot to show how they look fully installed and painted. The final picture was taken on a bright sunny day with the sun angle hitting the truck so as to have the most contrast. They're really not that noticeable in person.

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG