• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Bumper build

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
Well ever since I put the body lift on I have hated the 2" gap at the front and back bumpers. I have been looking at all the bumpers available and have not been able to find one I like, so I decided to build my own. I started making a model of it using the foam core poster board and this is what I have come up with so far. I plan on putting some bent tubing on the top for the pre-runner look and a place to put lights. What do you guys think, any suggestions?

Rusty

Attachments

• bumper1.jpg
    bumper1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 466
  • bumper2.jpg
    bumper2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 438

rednck21

VERY NICE ;D looks a little like the WH guardian bumper.

i need a front bumper on mine bad!

brian72

Early Bronco Student
It looks OK - But there is something about it that is bugging me... I can't just put my finger on.

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
Nice. But I think its too close to your front grill. If you hit something its going to make a gash in the grill. Just a thought. Oh yeah and the green spots gotta go. But I love the USFS color on your ride.

EDIT- I now noticed that its actually underneath your body, not infront of it. I think I'm just used to seeing some space in between the two.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Nice looking design, but the toolbox in the background caught my eye. Is that the stainless Costco chest and top box combo they sometimes have for sale? If so, how is it holding up and how do you like it? (sorry for the hijack)

Dusty

OP
OP
RustyNutz

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
Dusty said:
Nice looking design, but the toolbox in the background caught my eye. Is that the stainless Costco chest and top box combo they sometimes have for sale? If so, how is it holding up and how do you like it? (sorry for the hijack)

Dusty

Yes it is the box from Costco. I have had it about 2 years and it is holding up great, but it is to big so now I have to buy more tools to fill it up. I think they are selling a different brand now.

Rusty

Leo73EB

Loc.
Central Ohio
RustyNutz said:
Yes it is the box from Costco. I have had it about 2 years and it is holding up great, but it is to big so now I have to buy more tools to fill it up. I think they are selling a different brand now.

Rusty

Like that's a bad thing! LOL!

Great looking bumper man! Wish I had them skillz.

OP
OP
RustyNutz

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
Finally turning into steel

I finally have had the time to make this bumper out of steel instead of foam board ;D It helps that I got a Plama cutter for Xmas. I got the front hoop bend and tacked on tonight and next I will put the bars from the front hoop out to the corners. Maybe I will get it finished this weekend, then off to powdercoat!

Rusty

Attachments

• DSC01094.JPG
    DSC01094.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC01092.JPG
    DSC01092.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 285

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Sweet! Very nice work!

What's it made out of? 3/16"?

Is it all cut and weld or did you have some of it formed on a brake?

OP
OP
RustyNutz

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
Broncitis said:
Sweet! Very nice work!

What's it made out of? 3/16"?

Is it all cut and weld or did you have some of it formed on a brake?

I used the cut and weld method because everybody want to much to bend the peices. Besides, I needed the welding practice ;D And yes it is 3/16" plate. Tubing is 1.5 x .120

Rusty

brian72

Early Bronco Student
brian72 said:
It looks OK - But there is something about it that is bugging me... I can't just put my finger on.

It looks 100% better than the foam. I like it now....as if my opinion really matters :p

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
You've got a real talent there. Wish you lived closer, I'd hire you to help me build mine. WOW that thing looks great. Heck, I'd paint your foam board one and impress a lot of folks around here...

J.D.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Great job--Rustynutz! Very sharp and functional. How musth time do you have in it? Keep the pics coming as you get the other bars and the PC done. What size/brand of welder did you use to stitch it up?

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Very nice Looking. Plasma cutter for Xmas... You lucky dog thats on my list of want to get goodies. Like you I spent some of my vacation time building a bumper of my own as well. Ain't grinding welds a whole lot of fun ;D Again great job!
Are you going to mount a winch, some tow hooks or some D rings?

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Nice, looks about the same as what I built. I wanted more clearance so I didn't add the metal on the botton to the outer ends. Did you use 2"x8" box tube on top of the frame rails or is it all flat stock? I plan on the rear to have a hitch for a removeable winch location. Seems durring the winter deep mud/ snow runs I've needed to get pulled out backwards more than forwards... I also don't like that huge fairlead on there.

well that kinda sucks, how about this one...