• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Racer Project

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, I made a road trip to Kansas yesterday to pick up a '76 that I'll be using to build a desert racer. Here's a few pics. I didn't get home until midnight last night, and bet my wife that I could let it sit for a week before I started tearing into her. I lost the bet! ;D I started "de-skinnin'" it this a.m. - I'm removing all the sheet metal, getting it down to the tube frame that the PO build. Most of the tube is too small, and will need to be almost completely built from ground up with 4130, but that's not a big deal. I added a pic of a cool mod he did. He put an inside door handle so the outside metal is smoothe. I'm dumping the doors, but I thought it was a cool idea. I'll be hauling her down to get the stock D44 replaced with a Ford 9" with 1 ton spindles and 35 spline axles. (will be selling the D44 w/disc if anyone is in the market shoot me a pm). Will also add disc on all four wheels and will replace the stock power steering(will be selling the stock unit if anyone is interested, shoot me a pm! ;D ) with a hyd. assisted steering unit. The 302 will be replaced with a 347 stroker. I'm not sure where I'm going to purchase that yet. I'm talking to several folks. We're (I'm) still undecided on the Tranny/Xfer case. I've gone back and forth about 15 times on changing the C4/D20 for a C6/205. Lot's of opinions on that one, but I'll need to just make a decision and go with it shortly. There's a lot to do, and I'm shooting for Christmas for having it "race ready".

I also posted a pic of a friends EB -- he came by this a.m. to see if he could help me, but I think he was just really seeing what parts he could scrounge! ;D (just kiddin') He's got a great truck, so I thought I'd include a pic.

Attachments

• 062605firstday005.jpg
    062605firstday005.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 062605firstday012.jpg
    062605firstday012.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 177
  • 062605firstday016.jpg
    062605firstday016.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 136
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 169

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Looks good. I have tossed around the idea of one day jusy skinning a tubed Bronco but use it for trails and such. I can't wait till this weekend it will be the first time in a month I will be able to work on my Bronco.

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
TexasBronco said:
Looks good. I have tossed around the idea of one day jusy skinning a tubed Bronco but use it for trails and such. I can't wait till this weekend it will be the first time in a month I will be able to work on my Bronco.
You need to plan on going with us to race in June! I'll pick you up in Abilene and cover your trip($$). Bueno? At the very least, meet us out there (Abilene) for our "desert trials" -- should be Jan/Feb timeframe. We're just a couple of old geezer hacks -- we need someone who actually knows what they're doin'! I'm tryin' to convince another guy to join us -- he's a big name EB guy..but he'll probably want to make sure we won't embarass ourselves before having his name associated with it! ;D

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
which race series are you planning on running? i should be at a few races next year, possibly even chasing. im very interested to see how this project comes out

wes

68ford

Bronco Guru
cool rig glad to see more go fast ebs being built. i think if you raced score with tube chassis you have to race class 1 unlimited, i dont think that would be a good idea,be racing couple dozen half milion dollar buggies and truggies, troy herbst would be a major competetor ;D
paypal.php

paypal.php

and mr.gordon :)

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
west texas kid said:
oh ya, if you plan on racing score, check out the new rollcage rule, just so you know and can race in score if you want to

wes
Yeah, I was reading up on the new rules this weekend -- including the part about scheduling an inspection -- that will be a challenge for us folks out of the SoCal area! We plan to race in the '06 500, and based on us not killin' ourselves and destroyin' the truck, we'll run the 1000 in Nov. That's the plan on paper, anyway! ;D

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
68ford said:
cool rig glad to see more go fast ebs being built. i think if you raced score with tube chassis you have to race class 1 unlimited, i dont think that would be a good idea,be racing couple dozen half milion dollar buggies and truggies, troy herbst would be a major competetor ;D
paypal.php

paypal.php

and mr.gordon :)
no, no, no..we're definitely running Class 3!! We woudn't want to embarass Robby by smokin' him with our little truck! ;D ;D

west texas kid

Loc.
Lubbock, Texas Tech
coachbarnes said:
Yeah, I was reading up on the new rules this weekend -- including the part about scheduling an inspection -- that will be a challenge for us folks out of the SoCal area! We plan to race in the '06 500, and based on us not killin' ourselves and destroyin' the truck, we'll run the 1000 in Nov. That's the plan on paper, anyway! ;D

ya, some of that inspection stuff is BS, at $170 an hour last i heard and it taking 7-8 hours for inspection the score tech guy is goin to be a millionaire.

im looking forward to this build, desert racing is my new favorite sport

wes

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
What are you gonna change in the cage assy? You mentioned using chromoly, you are gonna farm that out right? From what I see, doesn't look like it needs all that much. I invisioned this to be a clunker truck like mine. What are the rules with class 3 regarding motors? What are the suspension limitations? If you can run the aircleaner inside the truck, under the dash, I'd do it. Just running the course with my brothers in '99 had my k&n severly clogged by the time we got to the beach from Mikes skyranch. A parker pumper might be a good idea also. (I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I'm full of 'em) I have some other things I was thinking about while you were picking up your truck this weekend. I'll unload them on you when you come to check on your restoration. When will that be.....?

Alan

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
broncow72 said:
What are you gonna change in the cage assy? You mentioned using chromoly, you are gonna farm that out right? From what I see, doesn't look like it needs all that much. I invisioned this to be a clunker truck like mine. What are the rules with class 3 regarding motors? What are the suspension limitations? If you can run the aircleaner inside the truck, under the dash, I'd do it. Just running the course with my brothers in '99 had my k&n severly clogged by the time we got to the beach from Mikes skyranch. A parker pumper might be a good idea also. (I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I'm full of 'em) I have some other things I was thinking about while you were picking up your truck this weekend. I'll unload them on you when you come to check on your restoration. When will that be.....?

Alan
Hey Alan! I think I'll drive down to check out the resto after I recover from all the tequila I'll drink on the 4th!
:-[
The cage is way undersized, and wrong material. SCORE has some pretty straight-forward rules about that. There are some decent parts of it (like the engine compartment), but I need 2" stuff around my pretty head. :cool: Suspension and Engine just need to somewhat resemble "original stock concept"..but I can add as many shocks, etc..and they aren't picky about type. They seem to be liberal on Class 3's, because I know one EB racer who runs coil-overs on the front and they allow it. Engine is fairly wide-open also..same original design/cylinders as original manufacturer..no EFI for an EB. But no problem with balancing, blueprinting, stroking..all the '"ings" are ok. Good thought on the aircleaner. I just finished watching a dvd called "Drive Like Hell" about the 1000, and I was choking on all the dust from my TV! What a rush!

Keep the ideas comin' -- I'm all ears -- Hopefully I'll see ya soon -- have you checked out my '74 lately? (I miss her!)

See ya later -- Scott

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
west texas kid said:
ya, some of that inspection stuff is BS, at $170 an hour last i heard and it taking 7-8 hours for inspection the score tech guy is goin to be a millionaire.

im looking forward to this build, desert racing is my new favorite sport

wes
I thought I read where it was a flat fee deal? hmm..if not, it's a scam in the highest order. I'm sort of lookin' forward to the build myself! ;D Thanks much for the encouragement -- it's nice have guys in your corner.

BroncoDarin

Loc.
Spokane, Washington
This is so cool. Just this weekend I was watching a show about desert racing and I think I have found my new calling in life. Please keep us posted on all of your progress.

68ford

Bronco Guru
you can run coilovers,but they are to be single rate(one spring) but i think they allow a tender coil to keep tention at full droop, as long as it is fully compressed at ride height. have to keep leafs in the rear also, but that rocky roads set with the 4link and quartereliptics cycles somthing like 18 plus inches. the most i can get from bolt on leafs is 12.5 and thats letting them compress alot,no more factory bumpstop and axle is about 1/2 in from frame rail ;D

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
The reason I ask about the cage work is (I didn't know this before, but learned as my brother had his car built by a race builder) that the chromoly has to be treated after welding, esentially heated to a certain temp and slowly cooled to avoid breaking 1/2"-1" away from the weld (again, I may be stating the obvious, but I didn't know this 3 years ago). That is why I ask.

I also was curious if you could run a 351W as apposed to the 347. durability would be better with the 351 and cooling might also be better, not to mention the torque. Cooling might be an issue for the 500. Isn't that one done in june? F@#%ing hot down there at that time of year.

MMmmm...Quarter eleptical rear with a 4 link. That would solve the issues with getting the power to the ground without the dreaded axle wrap.

One cool item on my brothers car is an adjustable, dual resevoir, mastercylinder. This allows him to adjust proportioning from front to rear while driving. On street heavy front brakes, in the slower, tighter dirt sections heavier rear to throw the rear end around better.

Oh well, I'll talk to ya soon

Alan

OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Took some of the sheet metal and doors off this evening -- speaking of $"*#$&#$ hot!! man..this Tejas summer weather SUCKS! You missin' San Diego yet, Alan! ;D

The Rocky Roads guy had a Baja racer for sale with that rear set-up. I was looking seriously at it, but we just couldn't come to terms. It looked like a great truck, but I'm glad I didn't buy it because building this thing will be more fun!
Here's a few pics from this evening with the sheet metal removed. First stop will be the Drivetrain house for the front end swap and hyd assist steering. Might try to get it in this week if my real job doesn't keep getting in my way!

Keep the thoughts, cards and letters comin' -- I'm takin' notes!

Thanks -- Scott

Attachments

• 062705day2001.jpg
    062705day2001.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 062705day2025.jpg
    062705day2025.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 062705day2028.jpg
    062705day2028.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 57
  • 062705day2029.jpg
    062705day2029.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
coachbarnes

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
68ford said:
you can run coilovers,but they are to be single rate(one spring) but i think they allow a tender coil to keep tention at full droop, as long as it is fully compressed at ride height. have to keep leafs in the rear also, but that rocky roads set with the 4link and quartereliptics cycles somthing like 18 plus inches. the most i can get from bolt on leafs is 12.5 and thats letting them compress alot,no more factory bumpstop and axle is about 1/2 in from frame rail ;D
Is this what you are talking about? I've never seen anything like it before. I wish I had some pics of the entire setup so I could understand how it works. Who builds this type of setup?

Attachments

• rearleaf.jpg
    rearleaf.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 76