• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Fuel Pump and Line setup

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
OK,

I have read and read and read all that I can on the fuel injection setups that people have done. I am converting my 351W crate motor over to SEFI and am at the point that I am going to run my fuel lines and pumps. Here is what I have and where I am headed:

Carter low pressure fuel pump
MSD hi pressure fuel pump
BCs Accumulator (still have to purchase)
EFI filter

I still have a Fram fuel filter canister that I was running with my carb setup that is on the frame rail right after the 24 gal tank - then to a mech pump on the block.

I am thinking that I might want to keep the filter there and run the low pressure pump right after it then the accumulator then the high pressure pump. I am concerned about how I would run the return. Should I ditch the Fram filter?

Who has a good suggestion for a good location for the accumulator? I am running Exploder fuel rails that have the inlet/outlets on the rear dirvers side of the block. Is there a good spot on the frame rail? I am attempting to reuse alot of the -6AN line that I ran with the carb setup - 6AN from filter to mech pump then to the carb. i know I have to get the Russel adapters for the Ford fuel rails.

Any insight?

And yes, I will post pics of the progress on CB (current progress is on BFix under "progress pics" wcdeod.

Thanks
Bill

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If it was me I would toss the Carter Low Pressure pump into the tool box in case someone needs it on the trail. Then I would mount the high pressure pump on the frame near the tank with one filter between the tank and the pump and another filter between the pump and the fuel rail. That's how I run mine and I've had it near vertical several times. Take the money you would have spent on the accumulator and spend it on a spare high pressure fuel pump instead. A single high pressure pump keeps it simple and avoids the problems many have had when trying to run 2 pumps.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
70EB said:
OK,

I have read and read and read all that I can on the fuel injection setups that people have done. I am converting my 351W crate motor over to SEFI and am at the point that I am going to run my fuel lines and pumps. Here is what I have and where I am headed:

Carter low pressure fuel pump
MSD hi pressure fuel pump
BCs Accumulator (still have to purchase)
EFI filter

I still have a Fram fuel filter canister that I was running with my carb setup that is on the frame rail right after the 24 gal tank - then to a mech pump on the block.

I am thinking that I might want to keep the filter there and run the low pressure pump right after it then the accumulator then the high pressure pump. I am concerned about how I would run the return. Should I ditch the Fram filter?

Who has a good suggestion for a good location for the accumulator? I am running Exploder fuel rails that have the inlet/outlets on the rear dirvers side of the block. Is there a good spot on the frame rail? I am attempting to reuse alot of the -6AN line that I ran with the carb setup - 6AN from filter to mech pump then to the carb. i know I have to get the Russel adapters for the Ford fuel rails.

Any insight?

And yes, I will post pics of the progress on CB (current progress is on BFix under "progress pics" wcdeod.

Thanks
Bill

Mount the low pressure pump as low and as close to the tank as possible. You want a fuel filter before the pump, but a big filter acts like a lot of tubing, so I'd run something a bit smaller. Mount the Accumulator as far forward as possible, and as high as possible. Mine is on the radiator core support. That way when your going uphill, it should run down hill to the HP pump. Mount the HP pump lower than the accumulator, like on the frame rail.
Tom

slyjki

Loc.
okc ok
SaddleUp said:
If it was me I would toss the Carter Low Pressure pump into the tool box in case someone needs it on the trail. Then I would mount the high pressure pump on the frame near the tank with one filter between the tank and the pump and another filter between the pump and the fuel rail. That's how I run mine and I've had it near vertical several times. Take the money you would have spent on the accumulator and spend it on a spare high pressure fuel pump instead. A single high pressure pump keeps it simple and avoids the problems many have had when trying to run 2 pumps.
mine is the same way i have had 0 problems ran the return line to the old second tank inlet

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Anyone have any pics of their setup? (Saddleup, I have seen MANY pictures of yours - for motivation)

So far:

1 for no low pressure pump and accumulator
2 for accumulator way up front.

nashville77

i'll be running mine like saddleup's. i won't be doing any real trailblazzin' like he does. the idea of having one other thing under my bronco full of gas is a little unsettling. i did get BC's fuel line clamps and 24gal tank. very nice. i hope to have mine running in about 2-3 more weeks.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Well i did a search again of paast posts and have decided to give the single HP pump a try. I will hold on to my LP pump.

Saddleup, you see any issue with leaving my Fram canister filter on there and running my HP after it? I only have about 8" of hose from the tank to the filter and then I can run the HP pump right after it. I will also put a HP filter on after the HP pump.

Pic is of the current filter. Tank is the NWMP 24 gal that I bought years ago from WH.

Bill

Attachments

• Current setup.JPG
    Current setup.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 139

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FWIW - I'm running the stock mechanical pump for the low pressure side and feeding my home-built filter/accumulator which is mounted in the space on drivers side fenderwell that is opposite the same space on pass side that the battery is mounted in. The HP pump is mounted right next to the accumulator. The EFI return line and the return to tank line are Teed together at the top of my accumulator. Two years of running with zero problems.....and no filters or pumps under the truck either.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Here's a pic of where I mounted my single HP pump. I covered it back up with the stock tank shield.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump1.JPG
    Fuel Pump1.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Fuel Pump Shield2.JPG
    Fuel Pump Shield2.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 85

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I can't really get a picture of where my pump is so I'll just describe it. (Too much in the way to get a good shot of it) It's mounted to the top of the frame between the frame and the body in the space provided by the body lift. Originally it was on the side of the frame and was moved to run the exhaust through where the aux. tank was originally. It is 8 or 10 inches aft of where the aux. tank use to be located which was done to put it after the 6 port pollack switch I had for 2 fuel tanks. The switch is now removed but I left the pump in the same spot. As far as the fuel filter now on your frame I think I would leave it there for now and toss an extra smaller filter in the glove box. Then you can put the smaller filter in later if it is a problem. I.E. If it starts popping and backfiring up through the intake when you try to accelerate then it is a good indication that it could be starving for fuel.

BTW, Mine is mounted to the frame using the original coil bracket off the 302 mine had in it which works just about right for the Airtex E2000 pump.