• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Only in Southern California...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Only in Southern California can you show up at one of your favorite wheeling spots and find yourself in the middle of a movie set...and nearly run over Clint Eastwood! That's what happened this weekend on the So Cal Broncos run in the Calico Mountains.

Saturday morning we were headed up Doran Canyon and were surprised to see a .50 caliber gun emplacement perched atop the canyon wall:
DSCN1164.jpg

As we came around a bend in the canyon we found ourselves in the middle of a Japanese WWII military encampment, complete with tanks and other period-correct mechanized equipment, tents and supplies, even corrals for the Japanese officers' horses:
DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1159.jpg

DSCN1160.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

We quickly figured it must be a movie set but there wasn't a soul around. All of the boom trucks and support vehicles were there too, but nobody was stirring. It was about 10:00 AM though, so maybe they just weren't up and around yet. So we tip-toed through and headed on up Doran Canyon to the big gnarly obstacle there, commonly refered to as the waterfall.

There was a second, much smaller movie set that had been set up right at the base of the waterfall also, but this one was just a small boardwalk running out of one of the (pre-existing) mine dugouts in the canyon wall. In this photo the waterfall is up the boulders to the left of the movie-set boardwalk:
DSCN1165.jpg

We drove around it and headed up to the obstacle. Only one guy, Danny Bogner, took a shot at the falls and we spent all morning winching him back off of it. To show how close the movie set was to the obstacle, here you can see Danny starting up the waterfall, and you can see the temporary boardwalk in the background:
DSCN1177.jpg

But while we were having fun on the waterfall, some of the film production guys showed up at the little boardwalk and continued their set preparation work. We chatted with them briefly and learned that this was a Clint Eastwood movie about the battle of Iwo Jima. He actually already shot a similar movie, to be released later this year, called "Flags of our Fathers". This one is to be a companion movie showing the battle from the Japanese perspective, shot entirely in Japanese language and to be shown with English subtitles. Sounds pretty ambitious. Anyhow the working title for this one is "Red Sun, Black Sand". Since we had wasted most of the morning on just the one obstacle we decided to head back to camp to re-group before heading back out.

Well, on our way back down the canyon, it seems the entire production crew had now shown up and were getting ready to start filming in the bigger set area of the Japanese encampment. As we approached, a guy in WWII costume looked up and saw us coming, then got on his walkie-talkies for a moment, then waved us on through. You can see him in the middle of the road in this photo:
DSCN1194.jpg

So here we are 13 Early Broncos driving through a WWII Japanese military base, with a hundred or so actors, extras, horses and production people parting the way for us to pass through their set! They even had to move a couple of trucks for us. But they were very gracious, and seemed to be almost as surprised to see a procession of over a dozen Early Broncos driving through their set as we were to see them all set up in one of our wheeling spots. I was in the lead as we were driving through, my wife and I kept repeating "sorry about this, sorry about this" to everyone on either side as we drove by:
DSCN1195.jpg

In this photo, note the gray-haired guy in the blue shirt on the right-hand side of the photo, behind the guy with his hands in his pockets (then read on):
DSCN1196.jpg

As we passed through the set, this tall skinny old gray-haired guy in a blue shirt looks at us as we're driving through and says "Oh, here comes the Bronco club" and stopped what he was doing to watch us go by. Now, being the idiot that I am, I was hurriedly looking back and forth all over the set trying to drink in all the cool sites as we were driving through, and it didn't even dawn on me that we had just driven by Clint Eastwood. And he had been standing an arm's length from the passenger door of the Bronco as we passed (he was the guy in the blue shirt). His gray hair was all puffy and unruly so I didn't recognize him at that point. But it was him (more on how I confirmed this later), and he had to interrupt what he was doing to stand there and watch 13 Early Broncos drive past him at close range. I wonder if it brought back fond memories of "The Eiger Sanction" for him? In this photo you can see him in the far backround (again, in the blue shirt) checking the Broncos out as they pass by:
DSCN1199.jpg

It dawned on me later that Clint's words "Oh here comes the Bronco Club" sounded like he was sort of expecting us. He must have had prior reports that we were up the canyon messing around and would probably be passing back through. I like to think he was looking forward to it :) Anyhow, he and everyone else was nothing but gracious as we passed through (unlike the "security" detail we would run into later in the day).

A couple more shots as we passed through:
DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1201.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

We continued on down the canyon, past the movie set and headed back over to camp. After lunch we headed back out again but went in a different direction, up to the upper end of the Calico Mountains, to do some exploring and sightseeing. On our way back, we decided to come back down Doran Canyon to get another glimpse of the movie set. For those of you not familiar with the area, there is a bypass that you can use to avoid that gnarly obstacle that we had spent the morning hung up on. So when we got to the lower end of the canyon we took the bypass. An added bonus of the bypass is that it goes up high onto the canyon wall, and gave us a birds-eye view down onto the movie set. So we stopped at a good vantage point and got out and watched for a while:
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

We were several hundred yards away and up above the set, but we had a great view. Here's our group stopped on top of the canyon ridge above the set, checking things out below:
DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1337.jpg

This one sort of gives you an ide how far up we were at this point, as you can barely see one of the gun placements and part of the encampment below, just over the hood of the Bronco, in the distance:
DSCN1336.jpg

Watching what was happening below, it was soon obvious who was in charge--the man in the blue shirt. I got out my digital camera with 10X zoom, zoomed in tight on him and snapped a bunch of photos. From so far away they're still not the best shots, but with the 10X they're good enough to show that it was indeed Clint. Besides, who else would be directing a Clint Eastwood film? We were of course too far away to hear what was going on, but we watched as Clint was apparently showing some actors what he wanted them to do, actually picking up one end of a medical cot and showing them how he wanted them to carry it into the tent. It was quite a thrill to get to watch this. Here are some of the zoom photos I took from up on the ridge, sorry they're not better but it was at quite a distance with 10X zoom (again, Clint is the guy in the blue shirt):
DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1319.jpg

DSCN1313.jpg

DSCN1322.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

And of course by now I was kicking myself for having been so close to Clint earlier that morning and not even realizing it. After watching for a while we proceeded down into the canyon, below the movie set to head back to camp. Only this time, the rent-a-cop, sherriff and BLM goon wouldn't let us go the way we had come, so we had to go all the way out the canyon and take the long way around.

Dusty

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
Yeah that's not an everyday experience! There's already an increasing amount of EB's in the media, maybe this will help to continue that trend.

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
I hate to say it but Clint Eastwood is starting to bald and has a far more thinning and highly receding hairline and that guy in the picture doesnt as much accept on the sides.Also the man has a lot more thicker hair in the back and different facial features than a almost 75 yr old Clint. Check out the website www.IMDB.com and pull up his name and check out the latest picks of him. This is a debatable issue we ve got here. What do yall think.

Last edited:

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Well... given the fact that the set deisgners informed us that this was indeed a Clint Eastwood directed movie set.. and the guy in the blue shirt was directing... the conclusion is fairly obvious. To assist you doubters, Clint is known to have long legs and a shorter torso (helps with the cowboy movies)

Doubt if you will. Its not as if we are trying to sell pics of "Bat-Boy" to the national enquirer! :)

Damn fine weekend.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Well it was the longer hair that threw me at firs too. In all of the shots on IMDB, his hair is cut short. But here it was kind of long, and had gotten puffy and unruly due to the wind and being outdoors. Also, the glasses had thrown me. But the guy in the photos, without the glasses and with his hair cut shorter, certainly would be Clint. His thinning hair and receeding hariline are very much on display. Granted, they would be more apparent if it was cut shorter but it must have been a while since he had been to the barber.

I suppose its possible that it wasn't Clint after all. But IMDB.com also confirms that Clint Eastwood is indeed directing "Red Sun, Black Sand" and that they are currently filming it in Calico. Even though the the guy in the photos doesn't look exactly like all the public images we've seen of him over the years, they're darn close and everything else adds up to that being him.

Dusty

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
unclebap said:
The Calicos are my back yard!
Nice story and pictures, thank you.

Well where were you then? You should have been out there with us!

bronconate68

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Great story, cool pictures, one picture of Clint

It is my opinion that you caught only one picture of Clint and that would be the first pic in the last series posted that you took with your zoom. Standing beside the guy in the blue shirt is Clint Eastwood in his signature choice of fashion. The cap, the dark shirt and greenish paints. Even at his age his facial structure hasn’t changed that much.

Thanks for the story and pics!

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
bronconate68 said:
It is my opinion that you caught only one picture of Clint and that would be the first pic in the last series posted that you took with your zoom. Standing beside the guy in the blue shirt is Clint Eastwood in his signature choice of fashion. The cap, the dark shirt and greenish paints. Even at his age his facial structure hasn’t changed that much.

Thanks for the story and pics!

I have to agree on two accounts. First, this is a great story. Second, I don't think that the guy in blue is Clint at all (just my opinion). His facial features just aren't the same and his stance isn't the same as Clint's. I do agree, however, that the guy in the dark shirt, dark ball cap and greenish pants (as mentioned by nate above) looks more like Clint than anybody else in the pictures.

BuckBronco76

Loc.
Louisiana
69Bronc said:
I have to agree on two accounts. First, this is a great story. Second, I don't think that the guy in blue is Clint at all (just my opinion). His facial features just aren't the same and his stance isn't the same as Clint's. I do agree, however, that the guy in the dark shirt, dark ball cap and greenish pants (as mentioned by nate above) looks more like Clint than anybody else in the pictures.
I agree.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Cool story and pics! ;D

It's my experience from wheeling with him in Moab that Danny Bogner will try anything - not always successfully. :p

:D :-*

Last edited:

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I don't care who exactly was who.. Thats a great story with lots of great pics. Needless to say, you will be telling that story for many years! Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
GJBroncoMan said:
Cool story and pics! ;D

It's my experience from wheeling with him in Moab that Danny Bogner will try anything. :p

That's true, Danny is a trooper. And he's currently in chemotherapy for his Hep-C, but he drags his but out there to wheel anyhow. A few weeks ago he put it on its lid out at TDS. As for the waterfall (the worst--I mean BEST--section of which isn't shown in the pic above since it wasn't relative to the movie-set issue of this thread), I've seen Danny drive it before successfully. I've driven it myself in my trail rig but wasn't about to attempt it in my wife's near-stocker. But it just wasn't Danny's day. He got wedged in pretty good, busted a hub, and we broke a winch cable trying to get him out.

Dusty

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Thanks for the update on Danny, he's a great guy. Will he make it to Moab in May; anyone else from out there coming?

Steve

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
GJBroncoMan said:
Cool story and pics! ;D

It's my experience from wheeling with him in Moab that Danny Bogner will try anything - not always successfully. :p
I agree. Movie sets are pretty cool and all but until you have seen Danny wheel in person....you ain't seen nuttin'

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
GJBroncoMan said:
Thanks for the update on Danny, he's a great guy. Will he make it to Moab in May; anyone else from out there coming?

Steve

Yeah I don't think Danny would miss Moab for anything. He's put his doctors on notice that he's going whether they clear him for it or not. He should be just about done with the current round of chemo by then. He's been on it since July. We have an interest list for Moab on the So Cal site, and there are 4 folks signed up on it so far: Danny, Bob Jenkins, Greg Weirick and Jim Todd. I believe John Watson is also going. I've been wanting to head out there for years but its hard to fit it in for those of us who haven't reached retirement age yet :(

Dusty