• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EB Aluminum Body Tub Interest

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
All,

I have spoken to a major builder of aluminum bodies for various other vehicles about the possibility of producing an aluminum body tub for the Early Bronco. There has been alot of questions asked about this in the past. The major issues with producing an aluminum Bronco body tub, that affects cost to the consumer, is the amount of compound curves. I have suggested the following based on alot of the current modifications that numerous Bronco owners have done in order to possibly cut down on production costs and overall cost to us, the consumer:

- Rear wheelwells (tubs) that are more angular in shape mush like the Landcruiser, not as curved. Many owners, like saddleup and others have stretched the wheeltubs to match larger tires.
- Flat floor pans instead of the current ridges in the rear.
- most of the front floorpan and cowl is not an issue due to straight lines, same with the inner fenders and front core supports.

The idea would be for just the body tub with the customer providing the doors, tailgate, front fenders, grill and hood. These pieces are readily available (except the doors) from the aftermarket in decent quality.

This leaves the majority of the compound curves to the rockers, rear fenders and tailight surrounds.

The producer is interested in feedback and general interest/ideas from the Bronco Community to gauge the level of interest before looking at producing this. I cannot promise anything but I told them that I would post this here for feedback and that they could watch this thread and get ideas from the people that know this vehicle the best.

I understand that some of the above ideas are against some of the purists, in design, but was what I could come up with.

Below is the response from the vendor:

"Hi Bill, just getting back to you on the possibility of producing a replacement body for the early style Ford Bronco. We like your idea of posting the concept on the ClassicBronco website and seeing what type of response you receive from the Bronco community. If the response is good then the next step would be building the truck in CAD, then toolpathing everything to our router tables and then making up the jigs to start assembling all of the pieces. It is quite a journey from concept to finished product and definitely involves a lot of man hours."

I am NOT associated with this vendor in any way. I just sent the idea to them as I know there has been interest in the past.

Admin, please let me know if this is not posted in the correct place.

Please add some ideas and let them know if you are interested. I am not going to name the company just yet until they are comfortable with discussing this with us further.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
I would contend that most people interested in an aluminum tub would be those that trail ride and/or modify the bronco to their lilking. Assuming that to be true, I'd say forget the curved rocker panels - they will either get cut off or covered by some type of rock-ski/rocker guard anyway. And as for the rear wheel opening, does the manufacturer save material/money by cutting it out? I doubt it. If it would save me, as the buyer, some cash, I'd prefer it to just be left a solid panel that I can trim out the opening that I would want. Same goes for the tail lights maybe. If I wanted, I could just use some pill shaped LED rear lights, or cut out the opening larger for stock bronco tail lights. And if we're making a whole new tub for bronco moders, might as well open up the inner wheel wells a bit for larger tires too.

Also, if it helps move the project forward, I'd be willing to offer some of my time for the CAD services. I don't think I'd ever buy one because it would be cost prohibitive for me. But I'd like to be involved in a cool project like this.

76rustomatic

Loc.
Reno
These pieces are readily available (except the doors) from the aftermarket in decent quality.

I think you might have a great product in the door alone. Many guys my self included run with no doors,Inserts,tube or soft doors. An aluminum door would be to sweet. You could make it a summer type door no cut-out for a window or window hardwire. Then make a kit for the window.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Not trying to sidetrack the discussion-but just a quick question in light of just having read about Dynacorn coming out with a steel repro coupe Camaro in addition to their covertible.

Is an aluminum Bronco repro cheaper or beneficial than a steel repro in any way (aside from rust). Or is that the main reason-rust concerns?

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Something I've always been interested in. Roadster body with no doors is what I'd like to see. Either no rockers or boatside, and I'd cut the wheel openings for flares.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
As cj54 pointed out above aluminum is even worse than steel when corrosion is a concern. Another concern is that aluminum has a tendacy to work harden when it flexes (A problem common with aluminum car trailers). For a door or fender this probably wouldn't be a big deal but the body tubs tend to flex a lot on trails even with full cages installed in them.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I believe marine-grade aluminum is used to construct the bodies. Said to be stronger. Like any metal product though, it would need to be appropriately protected (paint, etc).

Can't answer the work harden comment. I will ask the vendor that question.

I can't be that much of an issue since many vehicles are produced in aluminum and the sheer number of jeeps/land cruiser aluminum tubs that are being produced by multiple companies. Even Land Rovers are aluminum.

colobronco

i don't think the ribs would in the bed would be a big deal, as long as you can keep the strength with out a poping sound, like metal. Also i would like the idea of a uncut version, or make them all that way and let the people cut them the way they want. or make a stock rear fender that someone could have welded in.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think an al body would be good no more rust problems, i have a friend who has an al fj-40 body which he purchased from Cruiser Solutions and has had no problems, he wheels almost every weekend. i think the shape should be as is, this is one of the reasons most of us have chosen the EB because we like the design however there are some mods that would be nice which would not change the shape, i.e. the winshield one with the body, no hinge, maybe put the wipers on the bottom of the winshield, just my thoughts. Here is the link to the cruiser al body which answers questions about the use of al. http://www.cruisersolutions.com/aluminum.htm

BigO

70EB said:
Can't answer the work harden comment. I will ask the vendor that question.

I can't be that much of an issue since many vehicles are produced in aluminum and the sheer number of jeeps/land cruiser aluminum tubs that are being produced by multiple companies. Even Land Rovers are aluminum.

The "work hardening" would not be an issue, with the proper grade alluminum. It's been used sucessfully on aircraft for a very long time.:)

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Just to clarify, the modifications that I suggested were all on the inside and not the outside appearance of our Broncos. They stated that complex curves make it expensive to produce so by eliminating some of the curves on the inside (interior wheel wells - the tubs not the outside - from rounded to more angular and floor from ribbed to flat) so of the cost could be differed. We would still want to maintain the original outward appearance of our Broncos; what make them unique.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think even the purest crowd would be interested in a new body as long as its lines are correct. once painted nobody will know. They might want to contact Dennis Carpenter they have most if not all of the orginal tooling. It might help bring the cost down if they could work together.

OP
OP
70EB

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
cj54 said:
Unfortunately, aluminum=corrosion.

Additional info from the manufacturer (who is watching the responses to gauge interest - hint, hint)

"I just wanted to let you know that we will be following the link that you sent to me.I did notice a comment about aluminum=corrosion, the aluminum that we use for constructing the replacement bodies for the Jeeps and the Landcruisers is 5052 marine grade aluminum alloy(5/32"). This product has been chosen for its ability to resist corrosion and at the same time can be formed without cracking, within reason.
We have been producing the replacement bodies for Jeeps and Landcruisers for over 13 years and have been involved in the marine industry for over 20 years."

Just some more info.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
An aluminum Bronco would be great!!! I owned a 1970 step van for 13 years. I got it in 88 and the guy I sold it to still uses it. It has over on million miles on it and the body is still in great shape. I think an aluminum bronco would out live some of us no problem. I would like to add my .02
I think it should be made as close to original as possible. Let the owners cut where they want. I would also like to see thicker aluminum used or more bracing built into the tub. With flex comes fatige, yes the do wear out airplanes and a lot more money go into their design than a bronco. There is no way around fatige. I just say plan for it, if it cost $ 500.00 more per unit to build in more bracing and thicken up the material used I say it is worth it. I was in the market for a tub when my 66 half cab rusted in half. I was willing to go fiberglass and we had a mass buy on at the time. I almost bought it until I found a 68 in colorado stock and running for $4500. If I could of bought an aluminum tub for that money I would not of hauled my half cab to the scrap yard:cry: If the tub was built I supose the front end would be fiberglass pieces not aluminum. At least we will be able to find a ground with aluminum. Hey tub builder, make it happen, feel the love.

Bax

Tuck

ddrass said:
My question is, what advantages are there to aluminium vs fiberglass?

Strength.

I don't think fatigue would be an issue, & I agree with the aircraft analogy. Ever see battle damage on aircraft that have flown back??? Look at B-17s way back in WW2 or A-10s now. Planes take a bigger beating than you might think even in straight/level flight, & they're subject to constant vibrations anytime the engine is running. That said, you have to use the proper type & thickness of aluminum.

Be aware that some stock parts may not fit correctly. The same piece of aluminum will be thicker than steel to get the same strength.

My question would be pricing. If it's outrageous, very few will buy it. That will drive the price up even more to pay for development & tooling.