• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone got a ticket for running H4 headlights?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I just got one...
At first I thought he stopped me for running without doors which means no rearveiw mirrors..
Cop said that my headlights were illegal because it had a blue tint in them..
I need some info on this for my defense in court.. I have H4s with relays
Also got a ticket for "no reconstruction permit" you need one whenever you change anything on your rig from being stock looking.

I said, "But officer, my truck is STOCK!"

He said, "No, your tires are tooo big."

2 tickets in one night, That's what I get for driving around in Waikiki.....%)

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
This would be up to the state statutes for each state. I'm not aware of anything about headlights with a blue tint on the statutes in Washington or Oregon but I've never checked on the statutes for Hawaii. (I know it's illegal in Washington to run colored lights underneath on the street) The H4 as such shouldn't be illegal as long as the wattage isn't too high since they are no different that stock halogen lights but a regular H4 bulb also doesn't have a blue tint.

Glad I don't have to deal with that reconstruction garbage. It sounds to me like a loophole law to give them an excuse to give almost everyone a hard time unless they pay for an extra permit.

Did you do somehing to piss this guy off? Sounds like he was picking at you for some reason and gave you tickets for crap because he didn't have a real reason.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Heck - I see lots of newer cars with blue tint from the headlights. Is it yours bulb that are blue tinted or is it the lens? Exchange the bulps out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do the headlights have a DOT in the case? If so take one out and take it into court with you. Show them it is DOT legal lighting. Then ask when replacment parts, which are approved by the federal Department Of Transporation as replacment headlights are not legal?

If the headlights and bulbs do not have DOT on them, you may have a tougher battle

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cop said that my headlights were illegal because it had a blue tint in them
sounds like a line of BS to me. My Acura has a blue tint to them and they are stock! Ask the cop if he has a permit for puting lights on the top of his car cuz that ain't stock.

BroncoWyatt

The State of Maine also has law regarding lights with blue tint to them. Being an inspection mechanic I have brought the issue up with the State police in the past. I was told that what actually appears as blue tint in the newer HID lighting is actually white light. The Trooper I was discussing this with had been to a seminar and there where engineers there from one of the lighting manufacturers with charts and such showing how diffferent types of lights appear. I suspect if you could find some of this info you would have a strong case aginst the ticket.

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
I know in Nevada the only color lights that can be on your vehicle are red, orange, yellow, and white.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Broncobowsher said:
Do the headlights have a DOT in the case? If so take one out and take it into court with you. Show them it is DOT legal lighting. Then ask when replacment parts, which are approved by the federal Department Of Transporation as replacment headlights are not legal?

If the headlights and bulbs do not have DOT on them, you may have a tougher battle

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head here. The thing is that there are no (ZERO) DOT aproved bulbs with a blue tint. Never will be.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Cops up here had a press release about blue headlights. Saying though they are not illegal, that generally the drivers of such vehicles are prone to aggressive driving. So they would be aggressive in paying attention to those vehicles. i.e. If we put blue lights in then expect to get pulled over more often. Or atleast that was the gist of the article.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Skuzzlebutt said:
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head here. The thing is that there are no (ZERO) DOT aproved bulbs with a blue tint. Never will be.

But what's really going on with the H4 bulbs and headlight assemblies?..are they really tinted or is that simply the color they give off anyways is 'blue(ish)? If its a headlight and bulb combination that is used on factory cars and trucks...even if they happened to be 30 years newer than Mad's..does not that HAVE to be legal? Or am I missing something here?...like there is more than one 'kind' of H4 bulb or something.

...I drive at night with my PIAAs that are on top of my pre-runner bumber bar because they are so much better than my halogen sealed beams. The PIAAs are corectly aimed for low and high beam operation and I have yet to be 'flashed' by any oncoming vehicles so I'm guessing they are not blinding anyone. But they sure are no giving off a color of light that is 'factory'.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
bmc69 said:
But what's really going on with the H4 bulbs and headlight assemblies?..are they really tinted or is that simply the color they give off anyways is 'blue(ish)? If its a headlight and bulb combination that is used on factory cars and trucks...even if they happened to be 30 years newer than Mad's..does not that HAVE to be legal? Or am I missing something here?...like there is more than one 'kind' of H4 bulb or something.

...I drive at night with my PIAAs that are on top of my pre-runner bumber bar because they are so much better than my halogen sealed beams. The PIAAs are corectly aimed for low and high beam operation and I have yet to be 'flashed' by any oncoming vehicles so I'm guessing they are not blinding anyone. But they sure are no giving off a color of light that is 'factory'.

If you're getting a blue-ish color from your H4's, it's because the lens of the bulb has some sort of tint to it. The color is popular because some bulb manufacturers try to emulate the lighting color seen on late model cars. There's nothing inherent about H4 bulbs that makes them have any color other than a nice white light.

Like your experiences with your PIAAs, I've been driving 80/90W low beam H4's for about 6 years now in a major metropolitan area without incident - never have had a problem with law enforcement or been flashed by an oncoming motorist.

I think the secret is in the quality of the bulb, the quality of the reflector, and whether they're aimed correctly. I have Cibie bulbs and reflectors and, relatively speaking, paid a mint for them compared to the stuff you find on Ebay these days. Yet another case of getting what you pay for.

Todd Z.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Mad
Only you could get two of the strangest tickets I have heard of at the same time!
H4's are not illegal here and are not "discriminated" against. Reason being the law figures you can see better so you will stay out of dicey situations easier. I don't care what they think. I run 100/150 H4 in mine and have no problems.
Legal and you can see gotta love it.

AS to the modification as far as Alberta is concerned, as long as you meet the safety standards and have the safety certificate, you are fine. Follow the vehicle laws (pretty reasonable here) and your fine. Do something stupid and you talk to the law.

MAD only you could get two at once and TOFWIC just shock her head and said "how is MAD doing?" Got an answer for her?

TOFIC

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Did a quick search on the internet.... This poped up as the first hit....

Hella Performance Headlamps
H4 Xenon Blue replacement bulbs
(60/55 Watt, DOT/SAE approved)

Yes I did also see ones that were not DOT approved, but as you can see some are...

Eoth

Bronco Guru
As for the "recconstruction permit" call it a special interest vehicle. There doesn't seem to be any application or designation.. Here is the definition of a "Special Interest Vehicle". The following is out of the CFR.. I say fight it!!

"Reconstructed vehicle " means a vehicle that is registered to be operated on a public highway, and that is:
(1) Assembled from new or used parts by a person other than a recognized manufacturer of new vehicles;
(2) Modified to the extent that the identity of the vehicle's make, model, or type is obscured by material changes in its appearance; or
(3) Modified by the removal, addition, alteration, or substitution of other than original replacement essential parts, including the vehicle's body, power train, steering system, suspension system, exhaust system, intake system, or bumper system; excluding ordinary body repair that does not change the exterior structure of the vehicle. The term does not include a special interest vehicle or a motorcycle. "Rental or U-drive motor vehicle " means a motor vehicle which is rented or leased or offered for rent or lease for a period of six months or less. "Semitrailer" means a trailer so constructed that a substantial part of its weight rests upon the truck-tractor by which it is drawn.

"Special interest vehicle " means a vehicle of any age that, because of its significance, is being collected, preserved, restored, or maintained by a collector. The term includes a street rod vehicle and a street rod replica vehicle, as those terms are defined in section 286-26.5; a vehicle manufactured before 1968; and a vehicle manufactured after 1967 to resemble a vehicle manufactured before 1968. " Vehicle " means every device in, upon, or b

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Hey Mad sent me you blue lights and relays and alt.and I'LL send my 1Wire
delco yellow lights maybe he'll like weak yellow light better......
I was driving home from the deer lease tonight and griping all the way
not nealy as good as the new Durangoo ...and I have halegen 6024's in it
I guess i need the relays ..

brixter

Loc.
Tuolumne CA
I put in a set of those sealed Daystar headlghts and they are a vast improvemnt over the old halogen headlamps . They have a kind of a blue/purple glow to them . I could leave my high beams on all the time but now people flash me when I forget to dim them .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
can you say a little more on you daystar lights ...I dont want to have to do the relay thing ....I'm on my 3 set of lights ....
so tell your story ..