• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Shift Pattern

03COBRA

Loc.
Snohomish, WA
What's my transfer case shift pattern? I have a 1972 with a 302 and 3 speed. The knob on the transfer case is just that... a knob. It doesn't say which is which. Can anyone offer some info?

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
It should be the T pattern as in this first pic, but if not that one it will be the J pattern as in the second.

Attachments

• shift-knob-t_shift.jpg
    shift-knob-t_shift.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 134
  • shift-knob-j_shift.jpg
    shift-knob-j_shift.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 132

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
And also from Wild Horses the following:

All 66-77 Broncos came with the Dana 20 transfer case. Early 66's had a round shift knob; later 66-72 used the T-shifter which has a push button T-handle, 73-77 used a J-shifter, it has a backwards J- shift pattern. The early models have a slightly lower low range. For the T shift it is 2.46:1. The J shift is 2.34:1.

OP
OP
03COBRA

03COBRA

Loc.
Snohomish, WA
Thanks for the info. Bronco is new to me so I'm still figuring things out. Doesn't have a t-handle but I think it has the T pattern case and not the J transfer case.