• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Radiator Selection

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
So I dropped off my rad at my local shop this morning to have it recored/rebuilt and he called later saying that it is beyond repair. I NEED a new radiator ASAP as this is my daily driver and I'm starting a new job with Volusia County this next week. I talked to WH and JD and BC and don't know where to go. I live in Central FL so summers are around 95-100 degrees. I wheel in the mud and sand(no slow rock crawling) about 70-80% on road, 20-30% off. It is is a 71 EB with stock 302(no internal stuff) 4barrel carb and dual plane intake and header is about it. Stock 3spd manual, will do a NP435 this summer(and will always stay manual) I don't think I need AL(pricey) unless I go Summit/Jegs universal type. I am leary of these due to the fact that they are universal and would prolly have to make them fit myself. I don't know if I need a 2,3,4 core, tripple pass, any of this stuff. When I talked to BC, they wanted my old one(core) are they selling rebuilt radiators for ~350-400$ Don't get me wrong, I like those people and have always been happy with them, but I'd like something NEW. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Let me know what you think, if Summit/Jegs one then what dimensions do I need? If another vendor then which one has the best bang for the buck. Also, would National Parts Depot(Ocala branch is about 45 minute from my house) be OK. I'm assuming that they just sell OEM parts and dont know if it would be adaquete. Thanks ya'll and sorry for being long-winded.

Rob

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you can stand to wait on the shipping, the BC triple pass does an awesome job. My truck has not overheated since installing it and it's seen some hot & slow trails. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
So are or aren't BC tanks rebuilt? They ask for your old one as a core, which to me implies that they use yours to build a new one(rebuilt). There just seems like something is wrong to pay that much money for a rebuilt product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
I've been going through the archives and looking closer at the summit/jegs AL options. I'm still concerned about fit as I have 5.5 sl and NO body lift. So if you have the answer for me, dont be shy. Thanks

Rob

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I have a 302 with a re-cored stock radiator with a flowkooler h20 pump, and my gauge doesn't go above 180 ever. I used to live in the Mohave desert in temps up to 110. My own opinion would be to go with a 2 0r 3 three core. The BC ones look like a really good option to me. Considering you need one ASAP I would try to find another good used one or go cheap until you figure it out, or get whichever one that can ship the fastest. Good luck.

Flash69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Southwest Va
Jeffs Bronco Graveyard can get you one the fastest id say. The only problem is that today is friday and most are probably closed. Im jumping back in here because i forgot that Duffs is now in Knoxville. They can probably get you one the fastest. I dont know which to tell you to get but im sure theirs is probably as good as the others.

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I researched this extensively when I bought a radiator. Quality is a big issue for me. For your set-up you definetly want a brass/copper radiator. The more fins per inch the better. Long story short I bought one from BCB. I had the same problem you had, locally my core couldnt be rebuilt, so I exchanged it with one from BCB. I couldnt believe it when I pulled it from the box.It literally felt like It weighed twice as much as my old radiator(stock). I have no doubt this radiator will last for years and years. I bought the heavy duty 3 core, You dont need a triple pass with your motor IMO. The core charge is included in the price. Just my 2 cents!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
Kaw-Liga said:
So are or aren't BC tanks rebuilt? They ask for your old one as a core, which to me implies that they use yours to build a new one(rebuilt). There just seems like something is wrong to pay that much money for a rebuilt product. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob
BC does rebuild the tanks and reuse them. if they're not salvageable, they won't reuse them. the core is all new though. considering a stock modine radiator costs $389, the $350 BC gets for the tripple pass is a bargain. plus you get better cooling. i had a modine and the front fins rotted away within 2 years. i like close to the ocean as you do.

IMO, the BC tripple pass is well worth the money. i have one in mine, and i've NEVER had an overheating problem.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've had better luck with my BC 3 row than with a JD 4row I have it was always running hot with the 4 row. Now with a BC 3 row it will barely get to 190 even when just crawling in 110 degree heat. As stated BC reuses the tanks your radiator shop should be able to do the same thing inless your tanks are mangled might want to ask them unless they dont do that type of work but they should.
I went with the standard BC HD 3 row as I wanted to keep my automatic tanks if your running a standard tranny I would go with the thriple pass I have never heard of any overheating probelms with them.

Broncology

BC has a great radiator...that is what I have in mine...in never go above 180 degrees or so.

Imasdj

Loc.
FayetteNAM
From my current builds to my previous builds the wait for an ALUMINUM radiator is always my first choice, that couppled with an electric fan would handle basically anything you can throw at it!... but like you said its not going off road much and it wont be the slow rock crawling have you considered going to a junk yard and pickin up a radiator off like a f-150 or somethin

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I was in a pinch for a radiator fast and ended up getting one next day through my local Advanced Auto. I forget what I paid but it was much less than the Bronco specific vendor prices. It has a life time warranty and appears to be good quality. It has kept my Bronco running cool and has been problem free for well over a couple of years now.

OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
So from what I gather the B.C. radiators are the favored ones. My local NAPA quoted me ~$420 which is outrageous for a OEM part. I guess I'll have to take some more measurements now that it is light outside and weigh my options between AL and the BC radiators. Thanks for the responses. By the way, I think I may go and put in a clutch fan in the mean time-since I'm going to be a couple days down anyway.

Rob

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
OP
OP
Kaw-Liga

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Well on the way home from dinner I went by Advance and paid for/ordered that radiator http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...diator&ptset=A Best part is that it will be there at 4:00 tomorrow and I didn't pay shipping. So It looks like I may be on the road Monday afterall! Only other thing is that NAPA said my clutch and fan wouldn't be in till Tues so I may have to use the stock fan till then.

Rob