• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally! - Finished my front bumper - Build pics added

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Well, I finally finished building my front bumper for the Bronco. This is the first bumber I've ever built. I wanted to mount the winch between the frame rails, and keep it tucked in as tight as I could. Here are some pics.

Edit: Build description and pics added on page 3.

Attachments

• finished01.jpg
    finished01.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 752
  • finished05.jpg
    finished05.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 954
  • finished07.jpg
    finished07.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 734
  • finished09.jpg
    finished09.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,217
Last edited:

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Congrats, that looks really good. Your design keeps the winch tucked away for the most part.

Do you have a lot of experience welding?

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
needabronco said:
How much do you want to build another one? That is awesome, nice and tight. How much do you think it weighs?

With the amount of time it took me to build this one (I'm slow), let's just say I understand why winch mount bumpers cost what they do. It's all 1/4 steel, and I'm guessing it weighs in between 75 & 100 lbs not including the winch.

bfoldy said:
Do you have a lot of experience welding?

A few years ago I took a welding class at a local community college. Since then I've just done projects around the house and on the Bronco. This is the most complicated thing I've built so far. I was a fun and rewarding project.

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

Ohio Bronco 21 said:
Very cool bumper. What welder do you have or use?

I have an OLD Hobart Mig-Man 220v w/gas, and an OLD Lincoln 220v stick welder. I mostly used the Mig on the bumper, it does pretty good on 1/4" steel. I used the stick welder for some of the welds on the shackle mounts. The mounts are made from 1" x 2" steel bar, and run about 5" back into the bumper.

It was cutting and fitting the pieces that took the most time. I used a 14" chop saw for most of it. A plasma cutter would have made things much easier and faster.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
That bumper is absolutely beautiful, one of the nicest I have ever seen. What kind of winch is that tucked up in there.

joe

Bronco Guru
sweet, nice, cool, awsome, wow :eek:

i'm gona do the same thing "one of these days"

added it to the list bout a year ago

OP
OP
cbearly

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
astark said:
That bumper is absolutely beautiful, one of the nicest I have ever seen. What kind of winch is that tucked up in there.

Thank you. It's a Warn 9.5 XP. I mounted the control box under the hood on the fender well, and I plan on adding in cab controls.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You could never tell that bumper was home built. Good fab. Now lets see the rear one.

Bax