• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Hoov's Cage Fun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Here are some of the pics of Jerry's(BigJHoov) Roll cage we knocked out this cage over the 4 day weekend. It was fun :). Tied to the frame, tabs for top cargo rack and all.. it turned out great....

Attachments

• S2400114.JPG
    S2400114.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 244
  • S2400120.JPG
    S2400120.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 245
  • S2400122.JPG
    S2400122.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 255
  • S2400123.JPG
    S2400123.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 238
  • S2400127.JPG
    S2400127.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 273
OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Hey Jerry, I was kidding about not posting pics :). My wife said she didn't want pics of it up because she is afraid others will want one :). Post some more pics of the build if you want.. :)

crawln68

Bronco Guru
That's a great looking cage. And your wife is right, I want one! ;D Nice work you guys.

Recko555

The last picture of the tie-in kit...............
I don't see your tie-in supporting the cage. I see it rotating some and not supporting it. I would flip around the mounting points (like complete offroads tie-in kits). Weld a footplate to the tabs where the isolator is and bolt that through the body to the cage. Then weld the flat plate (that currently as the bolts through it) to the frame.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I understand what you are saying.. Here are our thoughts...

It is made for slow speed roll overs, it is no where near SCORE etc specs... with that said.. We didn't want to weld the lower plate/tube to the frame for ease of removal. The pic is not showing that the tube is only about 8" long and you would be hard pressed to bend it with it bolted to the cage foot plates... if you hit hard enough to bend the cage and the tie in, you have bigger things to worry about :).
The best way is to actually have the tubes directly over the frame and the bars be straight down to tie to the cage... we took the pros and cons of several ideas and felt this was the best for what we wanted. It can be removed and placed in another Bronco with only the tabs needing added to the new Bronco. Is this design the ultimate, nope, but it is WAY better than what was there before. I feel 100% confident is this set up for what we plan to do around here and will keep us safe..

bigjhoov

nobody
I totally agree with Mike. I felt this was the best way for this application. Thanks again Mike for all the hard work to get this done. And Thanks for putting up with all my input on the design and little features I wanted. I couldn't be happier with it. Can't imagine meeting a nicer group of people.

S2400134.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Thanks Jerry(I am just glad to do something for a Bronco Brother) and thanks Mark... we took designs from other cages we liked and added what we liked and felt was a good design for strength.. it could be a little stronger with a few X braces in some places, but then you get into it not being any fun to get into and out of.. A wind shield V and an X behind the seats would be the best, but we wanted the cage useful and not a pain.. it is that give and take we have to think about.

Recko555,
After looking at the pics again a little closer, you are right about putting the tabs up top it would help some, but with the plates being so far outside the frame it will still lend to a chance of spinning on the bushing because you can't get the bars exactly below the bushing... I understand completely what you are talking about.

bigjhoov

nobody
No problem. That's quite a compliment coming from you, I really like your rig.

OP
OP
RajinCajun

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Here is a quick pick I came with to show what I was talking about.. the red line shows the load direction... even if the tube comes directly under the bushing, the load is still at a angle because the frame is so far under where the upper foot plate is inside on the cage..

Attachments

• cage tie ins.jpg
    cage tie ins.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 79

Imagator

Loc.
Land O' Lakes, FL
Very Nice....Exactly what I want. Im ready for one so I have been looking around. If you want my business, it's yours. I really like what you guys came up with. Let me know.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
You're picture doesn't take into acount the rotational force that your design will allow on the bushing. I think that's what Recko meant. I see his point. However, it would take Jerry falling off a cliff, forwards or backwards, that is tall enough to allow the bronco to completly flip over and land directly on its lid, to produce the straight downward force that would render that tie-in design less useful. Chances are slim to none that that will happen. Also, as the bushing allows downward rotation, the cage foot would also have to arc inwards towards the frame. To do that it will have to go against the rigidity of the cage pipe, and apply a shear force to the sheet metal of the body to which it is attached. There's a lot of extra force there to overcome before the allowed rotation is going to be worse than the added benefit of the tie-in. So I agree with your take, Mike, that in 98% of real world circumstances, that tie-in will defiantely be better than no havng one at all.

Did you guys make any sketches or plans for that cage or was it "bend and go" fabrication? If you have sketches I'd LOVE to see them since I'll be making mine soon.

bigjhoov

nobody
No, no drawings. I have a file of pics of cages I liked. I'll send you via email.

Last edited: