• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rolling Along, SLOWLY

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Finally Rolling Along Faster

For the past 3 weekends I have been going 2 hours north to work on my Bronco. Been in the works for about 2 years and the frame is primed, not a huge step but we have been doing alot of fab work and rust repairs, the frame gets sprayed this week and the front end and rear end will be completed.
Fingers are crossed for a rolling chassis on Sat.!
Done so far.
extended raduis arms by 12 inches
moved front spring towers foward 1 1/2 and lowered 1 1/2(see Pic)
new rear spring mounts
moved trans mount 2 inches back, lowered 3 inches
added gussets to all bumper mount locations
tons of welding, grinding, cutting ect.

Soon the 300, NP435,D-20 will be in place, rolling chassis frist then we locate the motor and fab the mounts, the motor will also be lowered helping with the C.O.G.
We are hoping to be hanging a body on it in about 5-7 weeks, keep your fingers crossed.
If you have a NP435 or adapter cheap please let me know, or I am an electrician and could swap some work. Or if you are in construction and need to have an OSHA 10 or 30 course I am an outreach trainer so we can surely work something out.
Image16.jpg

Image24.jpg

Image21.jpg

That's my Uncle doing all the welding.

Last edited:

OX1

Bronco Guru
Lookin good!!! I plan on coating all rusty surfaces with
a nice coat of mud as soon as it's road worthy.

BTW, whats a D29??? :p :p

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
It's what happens to a D-20 when your fingers are tired from working all weekend!!!

Another pic of My Uncle, welding away.
FrameFab1025.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Here is what I started with, I know I am a little crazy but the body is not a problem, the running gear is the biggie for me. Rolling chassis should be done Sunday, will post pics then.
Just got to find the freakin adapter for the "A" pattern NP435. I have a machine shop that is going to cut down the tail shaft and re-spline it for the D-20 spud shaft(freebie) if I could find that kind of deal on the freakin adapter.

Attachments

• 0 day 1 (1002).JPG
    0 day 1 (1002).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 0 day 1 (1015).jpg
    0 day 1 (1015).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Here is what I started with, I know I am a little crazy but the body is not a problem, the running gear is the biggie for me. Rolling chassis should be done Sunday, will post pics then.
Just got to find the freakin adapter for the "A" pattern NP435. I have a machine shop that is going to cut down the tail shaft and re-spline it for the D-20 spud shaft(freebie) if I could find that kind of deal on the freakin adapter.
Save the glovebox door and title!!

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
HEHEHE Glovebox door and title are safe and sound in my dresser!!
Just got word from my Uncle, the rear end will be going in Sat. YAAA
Front on Sunday, Wow imma have a rolling chassis.
OK Florida guys, anyone have a set of U-Bolts laying around I can come pick up tommorrow????
Dropping off the tail shaft from the 435 to the machine shop to have it cut down and splined for the D-20, got my templates made for my adapter, looking for the metal to make them tommorrow, I love having a job that allows me a little freedom to find Bronco stuff!
Again any florida Guys, I need U-Bolts,

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
OK headed to Lake City now, be back on later tonight, will post pics Sunday on the progress( Shooting for rolling chassis)

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
More Progress Pics

The frame was coated with Gator II bedliner, over the 1/2 gallon of primer, turned out great!!
Image13.jpg

The Radius arms ready for installation, 12 inches longer!
Image17.jpg

And the 9" now has a drainplug, with a collar for protection.
Image16-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Headed north in about 2 hours to spend the day tommorrow with the front and rear, will post pics on Sunday of the progress.
I can't wait to see if all the calculations on the front suspension were correct!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Well I am pumped, The front and rear are in, gears are set. Axles will be in and tires on by the next time I go to work on it, Will be spending next weekend working on the NP435. Both front and rear gears went in awsome, backlash is right where it needs to be. here are some pics.
I have to Thank Uncle James, to me there is no better Bronco Master. When completed with this one we are starting on another frame off, I can't wait!
Rear Housing mounted, moved back 1"
317071002.jpg

Full view, rear to front
317071012.jpg

Extended Radius arms, brackets were moved back 12" and given a 4 degree tilt to line it up straight with the arms.
317071007.jpg

Another view of radius arms
317071006.jpg

I think it might "Flex" pretty good
317071008.jpg

So far we have moved the front 1 1/2" foward, the rear back 1". The front spring mounts are dropped 1 1/2" and the rear spring shackle end mount was dropped 1"
If all goes well we will be locating the motor into the frame in 2 weeks, will be 3" back and 3" down in the frame, to lower the CG, gotta get the trans built first. Anyone need something to do in Central Fla. on Sat.?
Comments anyone? pros? cons? of what we have done so far?

Last edited:

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
It looks great Brian, I think it's gonna be real interesting to see how it all turns out with all the CG changes and moving stuff around you did. It is definitely a different approach to a frame off rebuild but it looks like you got the right guy to lead you through it. I'm soon to be starting on my axle builds and maybe I'll have a rolling chasis by summer.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Wanted to post this for all the Florida guys,
The machine shop that is doing my tailshaft will also be making my adapter for the 435. I learned yesterday that the front axles we will be using are from a Chebby D-44, cut down and resplined by by the same shop, the shafts are larger than the Bronco's.
If you need machine work, adapters, or anything you can't figure out Give David a call, CLICK HERE FOR CONTACT INFORMATION, he does not have a website.
If you do call, just let him know where you heard of him from me, Word of mouth is the best way to find the hidden gems we need to save a buck or two.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Ok, I got a little bored today and got a jump on the 435. got it ready for re-assembly. But first the case and 6cyl int. housing are off to the machine shop. the trans is the A style from a 4x4, I will check the cost of the adapter and let you guys know, who knows, might get a discount for more than one. Anyway here are a couple of pics of the case, ready to go, the mating surfaces will be cleaned off prior to assy.
Image03.jpg

Image01.jpg

Last edited:

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Brian definitely let me know about the adaptor plate I need one too and if he does it for a good price I may get him to make me one.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
That build is looking good. I like the mods that you have done. Dropping the motor and trans a few inches couldn't hurt any either. Brian 72 will also be needing an adapter for his truck.

keep working
Bax

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Checked with the guy at the machine shop and he should have my shaft done by Friday, After I get the trans. back together I have to take the trans and intermediate housing to him for him to make the adapter, Then I will know what the cost will be. So how many of you guys are looking for a NP435 A pattern adapter that uses the 6 cyl intermediate housing? Price could go way down with good numbers.

Ran across some pics from about 6 weeks ago, remember we are only working on this on weekends when I can get up there, My Uncle does work on it some durring the week but I put him in Overdrive when I am up there. Looking back at these pics it seems like years ago it was in this shape.

Nice weld James
FrameFab1058.jpg

Body mount repair
FrameFab1034.jpg

Front Spring towers, lowered 1 1/2 Inches

FrameFab1043.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Got the news this morning in an e-mail, the rear axle is complete, the front springs are in. Will have someone up there send me some pics to post.
Seems to be moving fast foward now that most of the fabricating is done.
Looking foward to Friday Nights at Old Town in the near future.

OP
OP
Revelation

Revelation

Bronco Guru
OK so I keep adding to this thread, I am a little excited, when completed I will be printing out this entire thread to keep as a record of the accomplishments.
Building this Bronco has been a dream of mine for years (about 15). Every time I would come on here and see the other build threads I would get depressed thinking that I never would see mine started. Now as I look thru my thread I remember back to some of the other threads, the excitement they showed with each task completed, I now feel that excitement. I know I have a ton of work ahead but with each little thing completed I know I am one step closer to realizing my dream.
I know some of the things we are doing may not make sense but to us it does. When completed "Humm This" will be the end result of 15 years of thought and ideas. Maybe not perfect, I know after completed we will find things that must be changed, Plans are already being made for the front and rear, adding lower gears, lockers, 4 wheel disc, ect. after a 6-9 month test run of the other changes we made. Some will say why not go ahead with that now, well I want to be sure we have all the mods right.
Thanks go out to My Uncle, for stepping out of the realm of normalcy on this one, I know you are against some of the things we are doing, but I see the excitement in your eyes when something turns out better than expected, My parents who furnish me the free hotel while I am up there working,(Forgot to tell you, when my Bronco is done there may be a Bronco meet and greet camping trip on your property for all my Bronco buddies here),to all who have given words of encouragement here, those who have given advise and even offered freebies ( i am still open to any freebies if you want to donate) I thank all of you for making my dreams come true!

Last edited:

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
My NP435 has the 'A' style tail also, but I purchased the I6 adapter from Tom's Bronco Parts and everything went together perfectly. Oh, and about that trans, make sure you have the shift rails in alignment before putting the rig back together because you'll never be able to get the shifter back in once the body is on.

Good work.