• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Proto Fab Bumper is coming along...

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Just thought I'd post a few shots as I progress...adding a 1/4" Protofab plate bumper to the front of my '71. Mile-Marker 9000lb winch is ready to mount once I finish the POR...

Attachments

• protofab front bumper for posting.jpg
    protofab front bumper for posting.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 869
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Here's how it looks up on the bench...this thing is HEAVY! (93lbs)

Attachments

• protofab front bumper for posting2.jpg
    protofab front bumper for posting2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 859
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
And here it is coated with POR15...Black Cote to follow once it's dry. Will post more once it's on the front for good.

Attachments

• dscn0115.jpg
    dscn0115.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 858
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Ok, one more shot - yes I'm shameless but hey, I like the looks of this bumper! ;D

Attachments

• dscn0116.jpg
    dscn0116.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 852

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
How wide is the flat part on the front bumper? I am planning to build one like this for my self since I can't use any bumper that bolts to "stock"

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
It's "roughly" 9 inches, that accomodates most winches. What I really like about it is the slanting front, it too is a 9" surface. What got me sold on this bumper was the following picture in the Protofab catalog. Also, talking with them they were really great - very helpful and patient to answer all my questions. It's a pretty "involved" design though looking at it - If I was really good with a welder and as a draftsman I suppose I'd tackle it myself but...I'm neither of those! ;)

Attachments

• ebfrntpwb01.jpg
    ebfrntpwb01.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 837

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I second the excellent customer service. I spoke with them directly when i bought my rear bumper, jerry can, cooler, tire carrier. They basically make each and every bumper custom, as I also added the cam-locks. So easy to lock now, it's great...

TW, how did you use the POR, did you brush it on, or spray? Any small bubbles? Or did they all smooth out? Gloss? SemiGloss?
Nice looking rig BTW..

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Thanks, it's starting to really come together now.

I brushed the POR on using a 2" foam brush. It seems to lay on nicely, no bubbles at all. Minor runs but I was able to go back and brush them out and the brush marks very quickly leveled out. Overall I'm very pleased with it - although it would have been best to be in a lint free environment, which my garage most definitely is not! I should have also read the instructions regarding ventilation...%) It was cool out today so brilliant guy that I am I kept the door closed and heated up the garage a bit. I donnnn't nooootisch annny shluring or anthing so guess I'll live. %)

Another "mistake" was using the black POR, since I plan to use the blackcote top coat (you need to do that as POR is UV sensitive). If I'd used a different color POR it would have made it much easier making sure I'd covered properly with the topcoat. However, reading the instructions it looks like scuffing the POR with 600 wet/dry prior is recommended so I should be able to still tell where I've covered...I'll post pics after that, and once I get it on the EB!

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
I considered that, but the cost was pretty steep...and I didn't want to worry about touch up later when the inevitable rock chips and scratches occured - not to mention the ricer rashes...;D

Post some pics though when you get it back, sure will be pretty I'll bet!

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
East Coast is going to blast and coat it in white for $115. (PS my bumper is this one)

Attachments

• proto2.jpg
    proto2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 734
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Quote I got here in Dallas was $150, so I figured I'd try out POR first. So far so good...I just stuck it on the front of the '71 ;D :cool:

Attachments

• dscn0127.jpg
    dscn0127.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 648
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Lighting's kind've poor, but here's a 2nd shot. Fits pretty good, just a minor amount of widening needed on the bolt holes and I'm there! Later this week I will be topcoating it and then the winch goes on....:D

Attachments

• dscn0128.jpg
    dscn0128.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 640

4x4Alaska

Loc.
Wasilla, Alaska
It's nice to see your priorities are in order.....Bronco and boat in the garage and the car outside.....my garage houses the Harley and the Bronco and the car gets to stay outside too.....

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Thanks all for the complements - makes ya' all warm and fuzzy feeling;D

To answer some of the questions as was posted earlier I got the bumper from Protofab at: http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.htm#EB
It ran $420 but at the time they were running a 10% off sale so I saved a bit. Shipping was ~50 bucks (93lbs via UPS to Texas).

And as to the bronco - it's really Orange not Red, but the pic was kind've dark...:p

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I love my Protofab bumper too. Last time out I got to take advantage of the nifty slots for the hi-lift jack:
DSCN6012.jpg

Dusty