• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injection not Running right! Help needed

66horse

Bronco Guru
Ok got the fuel injection in.

Drive it over to a buddies today. Runs great inmy neighborhood, runs great on the freeway. When I get off the free way, runs like shit.

When i leave my buddies house (2 hours later). Runs like shit in his neihborhood, freeway, and in my neighborhood.

So what do I mean. I mean that wehn you give it gas, it stumbles (lack of a better word). Sometimes it will then catch and lurch forward. Did this all the way home. Died a few times.

A little info. No VSS or HEGOs yet. But a buddy had same setup and his ran fine until he put the HEGOs in and he still has no VSS.

Ran codes at buddies house and got 34, 82, 84, 81, 85. All seem to be related to stuff I am not running.

Oh incidentally, in neutral it runs fine, will rev up etc...

Bronco daze is in a few days and I need to get this figured out. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Steve:'( ?:?

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
I should add that with just a little throttle it does seem to do OK (not great) that it is when you try to give it more than just a little bit that this happens.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
OK someone suggested I umplug the idle air bypass and if it stays running then that could be the problem

So I unplugged it and it kept running. So I am thinking by Idle Air Bypass is bad. COuld that be causing the problems I have described?

Thanks,
Steve

B

bert

The codes you listed seem to be related to EGR, Secondary air, and Canister purge.

If you still have the EGR, make sure it is not leaking.

I have run into several drivability problems due to a dirty MAF. A dirty MAF will not set an engine code. A dirty MAF will cause poor idle, hesitation, backfire, lack of power, and a lean running condition. Ford says to replace them, however..., I have had good luck in cleaning them.

Remove the MAF and look inside. There will be a small hole with two wires hanging down across the middle. There may be a screen that needs to be removed first to see them. Gently spray some carb cleaner over the wires. I use a small paint brush to gently scrub them. Blow dry with compressed air. Try not to get carb cleaner into the electrical part of the MAF. Reinstall and if it was dirty it will run noticably better.

Without HEGO's, the computer will try to run full rich. Maybe you fouled some plugs.

Let us know what you find.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
did the idle characteristics change at all when you pulled the Idle Air Bypass? .. or did it just not notice?? It should nearly stall.. or at least think about stalling.. then fix itself when you plug it back in...

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info Bert.

Matt, it did not change or at least taht I could notice when I pulled. When we did yours at your house it was really noticable. Ill show you when you stop by later to get those plug wires.

Steve

did I mention that I busted an Axle today too?

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
make sure that Idle air is clean like mentioned. what is your fuel pressure looking like? Unplug the vacumn line from the fuel pressure regulator and run it like that and see what happens. Make sure you plug the vacumn line as well.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
OK guys after adding a VSS and a new Idle air bypass, itis still doing the same thing.

Did the tests recommended here. Plugs look fine. Runs smae with vacuum off of fuel regulator and vacuum line plugged.

Any ideas at all on this?

Heading out to bronco daze Thursday and want to get this thing running correctly.

Again it "bogs down" when you push the accelerator in gear. It does not do this in neutral or park.

Could the lack of Hegos cause this? I am thinking not as I have seen others run theirs before getting the HEGOs put on....

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
Steve

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Do you have another fuel rail that has a schrader valve?

I saw little fuel pressure guages at industrial liquidators for $25... I wish I had got one... you could put one of those inline in the HP line to the rail.

Did you ever figure out that one code you were throwing? The one we thought was the IAB?

We will sort this out tomarrow eve if it takes us a whole 12pack!

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
67EB_in_619 said:
Do you have another fuel rail that has a schrader valve?

I saw little fuel pressure guages at industrial liquidators for $25... I wish I had got one... you could put one of those inline in the HP line to the rail.

Did you ever figure out that one code you were throwing? The one we thought was the IAB?

We will sort this out tomarrow eve if it takes us a whole 12pack!

We might need more than a whole 12 pack.... Your wife wont be mad if you are too inebriated ot make it home will she?

NellyBellBronco

66horse,

It really sounds like you are fuel starved when under load. I would check to make sure both filters are clear. Is there any chance you have some rust or dirt in your tank. I had this same problem last winter because of rust in my tank. If I tapped the input side of the filter on the ground I could clear it enough to run well for a little while. Never showed any signs when revved in nuetral but zero power under load when clogged.

Good luck,

NBB

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
ya know that is a good point... with EFI you circulate a ton of fuel... so any crap in the tank would quickly make it to the filters... worth a check.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
My first thought was to check the fuel pressure before doing anything else and rule that out. fuel pressure probs cause a myriad of problems on an injected engine.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
sounds like a fuel filter or pump problem to me as well. Either the filter is dirty or the pump is weak! Hope ya get it goin!
Ben

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
First thing I would do is get those HEGO's in. These are in the fuel supply loop big time. They provide the feedback to the ECU on correct fuel mix. Im not sure what the computer would do if you have a failed open HEGO(s). Previously, posted was that this would lean you out. I would suspect that the computer has set a code and went to fail safe so you can "get home". Try and reset that code and see what happens. I would guess if the reset works, the lack of HEGO(s) are the problem.

SeanNollan

I'm going with the open/closed loop . I would get the O2s in and then let the puter sit without power for a good hour. Then fire the thing back up.

OP
OP
66horse

66horse

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone! I got the headers in and it is at the exhaust ship getting new y pipe and o2s put in. I disconnect the battery when I pick it up and then let it sit for an hour and give it another go. If that doesnt work ill start looking at the fuel.

much appreciated!!!!
Steve