• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 options

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
I have a 74 with a 200. If I do anything with the motor it will be to build the 200. V8 swaps are so common they are boring and a built six has style. There are several ford six builds on YouTube to get excited about.
I appreciate that it is a little easier with a 200 over a 170, and I have a V8 bronco, so my choice may be a little easier to make than yours.
I say build the 170 or build a 200 and drive it.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Is the engine in the Bronco original? Ford started putting the 200 in in 1970 so your 71 should have a 200 - how many freeze plugs does it have? 3=170 5=200
The 200 may have been an option in 71, but not exclusively installed. I had a 72 that was ‘born’ with a 170…found the invoice in the glovebox showing that to be the engine of record.

Randy

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I appreciate all of the help and advice. I think I’m going to stick with the 170 and since everybody is in somewhat of an agreement that 2500 bucks is a fair price I may just go ahead and do it that way I won’t have any engine issues for a while, I’ll keep you guys posted hopefully get to show it off here soon

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Is the engine in the Bronco original? Ford started putting the 200 in in 1970 so your 71 should have a 200 - how many freeze plugs does it have? 3=170 5=200
Thanks for bringing that up! I had never really researched it and assumed it was a 170 then again I only had it a month or so at home and told the mechanic it was a 170. I just brought it up to him and we were bot shocked he thought I was certain and I was not apparently.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Look at https://www.vintageinlines.com/
I put a Petronix Ignition in mine and was a great upgrade.
This. I elected to go hei distributor. The 200 doesn't have the same clearance issue with an hei that the 302 has because the distro hangs off the side. Pertronix is great too and more original looking.
I also installed an electric choke kit from Mikescarburators.com (sp?). really helped with startup and driveability.
Cool that you're keeping it.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
I am pretty happy it’s a 200 and not the anemic 170 although I would have been happy with it either way. Being a 200 a lot of worry was removed on drivability and from everything I’ve researched there more options to that being a better motor!

bmbm

I am pretty happy it’s a 200 and not the anemic 170 although I would have been happy with it either way. Being a 200 a lot of worry was removed on drivability and from everything I’ve researched there more options to that being a better motor!

bmbm

Good news about the 200. It would be interesting to know the block and head numbers as far as year manufactured. The later heads flowed much better. A torque/rv cam, compression bump, three angle valve job, DSII ignition and carb upgrade will boost power for not a lot of money.

OP
OP
M

mattbo505

Loc.
New Smyrna Beach
Good news about the 200. It would be interesting to know the block and head numbers as far as year manufactured. The later heads flowed much better. A torque/rv cam, compression bump, three angle valve job, DSII ignition and carb upgrade will boost power for not a lot of money.
We will know more when it’s opened up and yes I will be exploring some upgrades for potential power. I’ve always been a fan of inline 6’s this is just easier to swallow knowing it’s not a 170 I guess

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
“69” has the right idea. It is the answ to every automotive Q: “What is the final application?” I got by 40 yr w/a 170/2.8 in my lill bobtail doing woods wrk, bringin in an income. Ford put huge counter weights on, 4.11 gears, blade fulla heavy wet sno? straight upa steep hill, skid log up toa neighbor’s bandsaw mill (300 ft elevation change) done~
Here the minimal refresh (machining, new valve & rotating assembly) is 1500$ (what I did to a 250 to place in the rig for retirement - me & the bronk) ? Run the engine ona stand if out now. 1st do a complete (if U no what it is, learn if not) ignition tune. AFTER do a fuel/carb tune (more no the steps here). Compression’n vac tests might B nxt. Done? U might say “No need fora rebuild” and put the $ on something else in the rig.
Alot can B done short ofa rebuild. If above completed there’s no head removal improvements. Advance timing 2 - 4* past spec. Not happy? *** ur past the ’67/8 LOM/SCV feed back system (carb/dizzy) so try a better (tunable carb - I think the 2100 the best 2v carb made) jet properly. holly weber froma pinto (5200) isa progressive so 2ndary comes in when toward WOT (itsa weber 32/36 when named by some 1 else). May B 2nd after the timing advance (these I’m tryin to list by increasing cost/difficulty in mod so should B placed back @ *** ) is hotter spark: either the DSII system (no more lom/scv) as the block dizzy hole is big enuff (post ’64 block) from ’77 on (blue strain relief grommet) or ditch the brain & go hybrid w/the gm 4 pin (C gofastforless for schematics). Still not happy? (I was but added the early timing set, ’68 and earlier I think C: https://fordsix.com/forums/144-250-small-block-six-performance.1/ for this and many more tips on the 170). Headers add only 2, 5% but sure look nice @ 150$! All this w/o even a VC removal (1.6:1 ratio rockers - but they run some$, would B cheeper than cam - open the engine 4 that). Make a plan (based on vehicle application) and stick w/it ALL the WAY thru the build (horrible results w/changes mid stream) just means U have NOT done due diligence on research/plan.
When I 1st came here I was blugdeoned for this kinda sharing. “Sissys have i6 steda built bent8” and such. More’n more are seeing the worth of the 2.8 & 3.3. I dont want HP (the revie 200/3.3) so have a large 1v, 9.2 compression (reg gas), longish shorty headers, and a ‘stroked’ 3.3 - the 250/4.1 (hasa SBF bell for any transmis). Less tire spin than the 8, tq comes on 1,500 - 2,000RPMs. I feel/think I have the ideal multipurpose (back to “application”) rig for my daughter’s needs. A swap from 70/30% off/on rd to opposite 70% rd, 30% off rd use, more trailer pullin den me. I’m passing it onto her, she did a good deal on it w/me. Mid 20th cent rig ready for the 21st !!! (yup, we discussed s/p efi, Matt will need to bring back the alloy head for me 1st 2 do that. 6 Keihins would come 1st - aahahaha). ~HTH~